Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Fractal Design Case Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Fractal Design Case Club - Page 975

post #9741 of 16055
Hey guys, I'm finishing up a water cooled arc midi r2 and I was running the fans and noticed how restrictive the dust filters were. I am considering removing the filters but don't think the plastics grid would look good through the steel mesh. I think the top one is attached to the whole sliding top part in there and the front has the clicky attachment part on it so the plastic. A not be removed completely. Has anyone tried cutting out the plastic grids? Are there any other mods to look at trying?
post #9742 of 16055
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphon View Post

Hey guys, I'm finishing up a water cooled arc midi r2 and I was running the fans and noticed how restrictive the dust filters were. I am considering removing the filters but don't think the plastics grid would look good through the steel mesh. I think the top one is attached to the whole sliding top part in there and the front has the clicky attachment part on it so the plastic. A not be removed completely. Has anyone tried cutting out the plastic grids? Are there any other mods to look at trying?

I have seen people remove the plastic grids, however I don't have any pictures of it offhand. I do want to point out, though, that you might compare your load temps with the filters installed vs removed. I know on my loop the difference was literally 1-2* average durring gameplay for both the gpu and cpu. Depending on your average temps, and the difference, it may not be worth cutting your case up.

Also, dust affects temps, obviously lol, and it's a lot easier to clean out a filter than rad (especially the ones with higher fpi).
Edited by rebelextrm02 - 10/30/13 at 9:23am
 
Penguin (Hers)
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K ASUS Maximus V GENE MSI N660ti PE Samsung ELV 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 330 180GB SSD WD Caviar Black 640GB x2 Raid 0 WD Caviar Black 1TB XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC RS240 Radiator x2 XSPC X20 750 Bay Pump Res  EK Supremacy Bridge Gpu Waterblock Windows 8.1 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 24" 1080p CM QuickFire Stealth Cherry Red Seasonic x750 Gold Fractal Designs Arc Mini 
MouseAudio
Logitech g500 Creative X-FI Titanium HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Gigabyte z77x-ud3h MSI M660TI PE G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue WD Caviar Blue Samsung 22x TRUE 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 x64 24" Dell Ultrasharp IPS Microsoft Corsair tx750w v2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM 690 II Advanced Logitech g500 Invader Zim 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Penguin (Hers)
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K ASUS Maximus V GENE MSI N660ti PE Samsung ELV 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 330 180GB SSD WD Caviar Black 640GB x2 Raid 0 WD Caviar Black 1TB XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC RS240 Radiator x2 XSPC X20 750 Bay Pump Res  EK Supremacy Bridge Gpu Waterblock Windows 8.1 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 24" 1080p CM QuickFire Stealth Cherry Red Seasonic x750 Gold Fractal Designs Arc Mini 
MouseAudio
Logitech g500 Creative X-FI Titanium HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Gigabyte z77x-ud3h MSI M660TI PE G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue WD Caviar Blue Samsung 22x TRUE 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 x64 24" Dell Ultrasharp IPS Microsoft Corsair tx750w v2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM 690 II Advanced Logitech g500 Invader Zim 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9743 of 16055
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelextrm02 View Post

I have seen people remove the plastic grids, however I don't have any pictures of it offhand. I do want to point out, though, that you might compare your load temps with the filters installed vs removed. I know on my loop the difference was literally 1-2* average durring gameplay for both the gpu and cpu. Depending on your average temps, and the difference, it may not be worth cutting your case up.

I don't have it all the way up and running quite yet, but I was planning on running the comparisons once I did. I did an admittedly inaccurate measurement by feel but the case temps were considerably hotter to the feel with the filters in. So While I was finishing it up I figured to ask if anyone had done the mod. I've already modded the case quite a bit so I am not worried about a little more hack and slash on it thumb.gif
post #9744 of 16055
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphon View Post

I don't have it all the way up and running quite yet, but I was planning on running the comparisons once I did. I did an admittedly inaccurate measurement by feel but the case temps were considerably hotter to the feel with the filters in. So While I was finishing it up I figured to ask if anyone had done the mod. I've already modded the case quite a bit so I am not worried about a little more hack and slash on it thumb.gif

Here is a link to a user that removed the front filter and plastic grid:

Post #3651 - Fractal Design Case Club
 
Penguin (Hers)
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K ASUS Maximus V GENE MSI N660ti PE Samsung ELV 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 330 180GB SSD WD Caviar Black 640GB x2 Raid 0 WD Caviar Black 1TB XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC RS240 Radiator x2 XSPC X20 750 Bay Pump Res  EK Supremacy Bridge Gpu Waterblock Windows 8.1 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 24" 1080p CM QuickFire Stealth Cherry Red Seasonic x750 Gold Fractal Designs Arc Mini 
MouseAudio
Logitech g500 Creative X-FI Titanium HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Gigabyte z77x-ud3h MSI M660TI PE G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue WD Caviar Blue Samsung 22x TRUE 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 x64 24" Dell Ultrasharp IPS Microsoft Corsair tx750w v2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM 690 II Advanced Logitech g500 Invader Zim 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Penguin (Hers)
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K ASUS Maximus V GENE MSI N660ti PE Samsung ELV 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 330 180GB SSD WD Caviar Black 640GB x2 Raid 0 WD Caviar Black 1TB XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC RS240 Radiator x2 XSPC X20 750 Bay Pump Res  EK Supremacy Bridge Gpu Waterblock Windows 8.1 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 24" 1080p CM QuickFire Stealth Cherry Red Seasonic x750 Gold Fractal Designs Arc Mini 
MouseAudio
Logitech g500 Creative X-FI Titanium HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Gigabyte z77x-ud3h MSI M660TI PE G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue WD Caviar Blue Samsung 22x TRUE 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 x64 24" Dell Ultrasharp IPS Microsoft Corsair tx750w v2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM 690 II Advanced Logitech g500 Invader Zim 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9745 of 16055
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelextrm02 View Post

Here is a link to a user that removed the front filter and plastic grid:

Post #3651 - Fractal Design Case Club

I think that also looks better...may break out the dremel and cutting wheel devil.gif
post #9746 of 16055
hi guys new here greetings from philippines smile.gif just posting my simple rig it is not yet finished i really like my arc mini best matx IMHO thumb.gif any suggestion to improve my rig would help thnx overclock.net

Edited by ichiwot - 10/30/13 at 12:44pm
post #9747 of 16055
If I remove the plastic grid from the front filter on the arc mini t2, would the metal mesh become fragile, like in an unrenforced way? I was just wondering before I did it.

BTW, nice case and parts ichiwot.
post #9748 of 16055
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevGann View Post

If I remove the plastic grid from the front filter on the arc mini t2, would the metal mesh become fragile, like in an unrenforced way? I was just wondering before I did it.

BTW, nice case and parts ichiwot.
Nope. I've done the mod so many times. Nothing bad will happen to anything else by doing it. It sure does look a lot nicer though, especially without the filter in.
post #9749 of 16055
Double post bug.. tongue.gif
post #9750 of 16055
Went ahead and removed the filters and cut out the plastic grid. I'll post pics tomorrow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Fractal Design Case Club