Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Need suggestions for friend's rig!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need suggestions for friend's rig!

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hi guys, I am going to help my friend build a newegg PC, we wants the best stuff he can get without going over about $850 ... don't worry about cooling and things as he does not plan to overclock right off the bat.

Please help me decide which is better / will help slim the price:

Patriot 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220040
or
G.SKILL Value Series 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231032

-------------------------------------------------------------

This CPU: AMD X2 3800+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103562

This mobo: DFI-DAGF
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136160

Since this is a gaming rig we are thinking this video card: X850XT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102505

Drives: 120GB HD and DVD drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148039
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129001

Anything you think that will get the same or similiar performance and slim the price please post! thanks ...
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDillon
Hi guys, I am going to help my friend build a newegg PC, we wants the best stuff he can get without going over about $850 ... don't worry about cooling and things as he does not plan to overclock right off the bat.

Please help me decide which is better / will help slim the price:

Patriot 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220040
or
G.SKILL Value Series 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231032

-------------------------------------------------------------

This CPU: AMD X2 3800+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103562

This mobo: DFI-DAGF
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136160

Since this is a gaming rig we are thinking this video card: X850XT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102505

Drives: 120GB HD and DVD drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148039
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129001

Anything you think that will get the same or similiar performance and slim the price please post! thanks ...
Need a decent psu in there because you dont have one listed

And that x850xt is a beast card, i recomend getting it because you can flash it to a x850xtPE, and everything else looks sweet, i would go for the Patriot Ram, and dont forget bout the PSU!

But i think you should get 1GB (512 x 2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145466

and get this PSU with the saved cash - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817148008
* people will flame this PSU, but my friend has it in 2 computers and works amazingly
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel C2D 2.4Ghz GMA x3100 2GB DDR3 160GB SATA @5200RPM 
OSMonitorCaseMouse
OSx / Windows XP SP2 Bootcamp 1200x800 LCD one Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel C2D 2.4Ghz GMA x3100 2GB DDR3 160GB SATA @5200RPM 
OSMonitorCaseMouse
OSx / Windows XP SP2 Bootcamp 1200x800 LCD one Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Go with this mobo,if he ever plans to OC, this will do better.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136152
and what about PSU? hows the sunbeam nuuo?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817709003

And for ram i would go with that gskill....

with my upgrades and the PSU that puts you about $30 over the $850 limit. Well worth the bust if you ask me.
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Well I can say from experience since I have the DFI-DAGF that it is a GREAT mobo, much in comparison with that mobo you posted for no or mild overclocks, but it struggles with anything over 265 or 270 fsb, but I don't think he will be needing any OC that high.

Also, he will get a PSU so don't worry about that... Also case.

Also, he needs a sound card ... cheap one but it needs to support great 5.1 surround sound headphones ... any ideas?
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDillon
Well I can say from experience since I have the DFI-DAGF that it is a GREAT mobo, much in comparison with that mobo you posted for no or mild overclocks, but it struggles with anything over 265 or 270 fsb, but I don't think he will be needing any OC that high.

Also, he will get a PSU so don't worry about that... Also case.

Also, he needs a sound card ... cheap one but it needs to support great 5.1 surround sound headphones ... any ideas?
Well most MOBO's come with 5.1 onboard sound.... so that could serve the purpose. or go with an SB audigy 2 or something along those lines.
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Yeah that's what I was thinking, do you think his onboard sound will load the CPU enough that it's worth the upgrade to Audigy 2?

http://www.compuvest.com/Description...PJQ?iid=185448
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDillon
Yeah that's what I was thinking, do you think his onboard sound will load the CPU enough that it's worth the upgrade to Audigy 2?

http://www.compuvest.com/Description...PJQ?iid=185448
I think the onboard is fine, unless he notices the difference and wants one, thats audigy 2 ZS would be for him because X-fi is quite expensive
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel C2D 2.4Ghz GMA x3100 2GB DDR3 160GB SATA @5200RPM 
OSMonitorCaseMouse
OSx / Windows XP SP2 Bootcamp 1200x800 LCD one Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel C2D 2.4Ghz GMA x3100 2GB DDR3 160GB SATA @5200RPM 
OSMonitorCaseMouse
OSx / Windows XP SP2 Bootcamp 1200x800 LCD one Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 16
well it will use some cpu power, though its minimal....But typically the onboard sound isnt really high quality like the audigy and x-fi soundcards. So maybe he should hold off on the soundcard and see how he like the onboard, if he doesnt he can always buy on down the road, and hell maybe hell have saved up a few more $$$ and can get the x-fi.....
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
True ... he's already at such a tight budget with the stuff he is trying to get though . hmmm, we are playing a VERY sound dependant game in Americas Army (H/W + EAX setting) so I would say it's worth the Audigy 2 at least.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDillon
True ... he's already at such a tight budget with the stuff he is trying to get though . hmmm, we are playing a VERY sound dependant game in Americas Army (H/W + EAX setting) so I would say it's worth the Audigy 2 at least.
Maybe try and pick it up later, if he feels the need he needs one, because maybe he wont care, nor feel the need he needs one with his onboard
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel C2D 2.4Ghz GMA x3100 2GB DDR3 160GB SATA @5200RPM 
OSMonitorCaseMouse
OSx / Windows XP SP2 Bootcamp 1200x800 LCD one Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel C2D 2.4Ghz GMA x3100 2GB DDR3 160GB SATA @5200RPM 
OSMonitorCaseMouse
OSx / Windows XP SP2 Bootcamp 1200x800 LCD one Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Need suggestions for friend's rig!