Overclock.net banner

|Second Frost| - |Overclocking AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Under Dry Ice| 5.568GHz

7K views 44 replies 11 participants last post by  Slappa 
#1 ·
Hey guys, here is my most recent run. As you can see, I improved my results from my last run slightly. I also took a lot of video of the setup and of how I do my sessions. This is to give you an idea of what it is like to benchmark on dry ice.

The Video(Watch In HD):

The Results:

32m SuperPi Personal Best - 13m 15.140s

This was my 32m run. I cut 15 seconds on my previous result from my last dry ice run.

1m SuperPi Personal Best - 12.797s

For my 1m run I also cut off time from my previous run. Although it was only around 50ms, it took a lot of work just to achieve a faster time.

6 Core Overclock - 5.439GHz - Validation

Was not stable enough to get a screenie. I tried but no luck.

Single Core Overclock - 5.568GHz - Not Valid

I could not get a screenshot or a valid for this one. It was giving me trouble. Next time however, I will nail this number down and surpass it with a new pot to play with.

See less See more
1 5
#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yumyums View Post
nice results, any idea when your video is going to finish processing?
im interested to see others doing their dice runs for when I decide to buy a better pot
Thanks man.

Still waiting for it. I just uploaded it so it may take another hour or so.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
no wprime?

there are sweet global points for 6 core CPU's there! (albeit behind all of the 980x's)
Nah I didn't really do much this run. Basically was seeing what my limits really were.

I'm saving the benchmark suite for my runs with a different pot...that will cool much much MUCH better then this one.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slappa View Post
Nah I didn't really do much this run. Basically was seeing what my limits really were.

I'm saving the benchmark suite for my runs with a different pot...that will cool much much MUCH better then this one.
Unfortunately, the X6's score similar to i7 processors with 4C/8T. Because of this, the globals won't really be there for an X6 as they'll be pretty far behind 980X's with regards to time.

With that said, those are some great dice submissions. Are you considering LN2 at some point?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post
Unfortunately, the X6's score similar to i7 processors with 4C/8T. Because of this, the globals won't really be there for an X6 as they'll be pretty far behind 980X's with regards to time.

With that said, those are some great dice submissions. Are you considering LN2 at some point?
I understand that AMD is the underdog when it comes to speed, but I love playing with their chips all the same.

I have been dying to do LN2. However, in my city it would run me $105.11 for just 5L of nitrogen. It would cost me $600 + per session not including the rent/cost of the dewar.

I need to travel elsewhere to further my benching experience.

PS. Video is done processing

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slappa View Post
I understand that AMD is the underdog when it comes to speed, but I love playing with their chips all the same.

I have been dying to do LN2. However, in my city it would run me $105.11 for just 5L of nitrogen. It would cost me $600 + per session not including the rent/cost of the dewar.

I need to travel elsewhere to further my benching experience.
I absolutely agree. I was just saying that if you're doing it for the globals... I wouldn't do it! If you're doing it for fun, do it all

How much have you investigated the LN2 thing? Did you try multiple shops? LN2 is very common for welding and there is NO way they pay that much. With some searching, you should be able to find prices similar to $1US/Liter.

The place I was considering getting it from was $1 a day for the dewar rental and $1/L. However, I would have to fill the dewar the whole way (180L). I don't have $180 + tax to be throwing around!

#9 ·
Quote:

I absolutely agree. I was just saying that if you're doing it for the globals... I wouldn't do it! If you're doing it for fun, do it all

How much have you investigated the LN2 thing? Did you try multiple shops? LN2 is very common for welding and there is NO way they pay that much. With some searching, you should be able to find prices similar to $1US/Liter.

The place I was considering getting it from was $1 a day for the dewar rental and $1/L. However, I would have to fill the dewar the whole way (180L). I don't have $180 + tax to be throwing around!
Yeah I guess I just have a soft spot for AMD

I have investigated it. As it stands, the welding supply company in my city has a monopoly and dominates the dry ice, and ln2 market. Thats the cheapest I can get it for here. I should almost just drive to the states for a day just to bench.

#10 ·
lol... Come to St. Louis and we can have a benching party!

I just watched the video, by the way... awesome production!

I usually buy pellets of dry ice now. Before that, I smashed it and put in in a thermos and poured it like you would LN2. I found it to be easier because I didn't have to hold the dice!

#11 ·
Quote:

I usually buy pellets of dry ice now. Before that, I smashed it and put in in a thermos and poured it like you would LN2. I found it to be easier because I didn't have to hold the dice!
I have a pair of magic mittens I wear just for handling dice, works great actually

@slappa just watched the video, very nice overall and if you do end up upgrading your pot try to remember me because I would love to replace my homemade one eventually

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx
View Post

Hahah, once I get LN2 in my hands....beware of some extreme AMD OCing

These are the smallest pellets I can get here. Ah well, it doesnt take much to crush em up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yumyums
View Post

I have a pair of magic mittens I wear just for handling dice, works great actually

@slappa just watched the video, very nice overall and if you do end up upgrading your pot try to remember me because I would love to replace my homemade one eventually

Bare hands FTW

Thanks man! It is actually my friends pot, and I am getting an upgrade, but the upgrade won't be permanent either. Will be borrowing some excellent pots from my friends over at ln2cooling.com

#14 ·
Quote:

View Post

yeah. I tryed using bare hands once and it burnt a little
I suppose I'll have to start figuring out my options and start putting a side $ cause its been too long since I benched

anyways you'll have some competition soon enough

I got burnt pretty bad during this session, but I took it like a man

Competition eh? I'm all for it.

#16 ·
Quote:

View Post

glad to hear it

I want an OCN AMD Overclocking comp.

#18 ·
I might have to drop in and sweet the competition with this golden 955 once I get the damn thing to work lol

#19 ·
Quote:

View Post

I might have to drop in and sweet the competition with this golden 955 once I get the damn thing to work lol

heheh do eet! In the last few hours I got to play with it I got 4.6, but I am sure you can push it past that since you have more sub-zero clocking experience than I did.

I am pretty sure spec validated that chip @ 4.7 on air lol.

#20 ·
Quote:

View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl0w3n
View Post

heheh do eet! In the last few hours I got to play with it I got 4.6, but I am sure you can push it past that since you have more sub-zero clocking experience than I did.

I am pretty sure spec validated that chip @ 4.7 on air lol.

Sounds like an excellent chip

#22 ·
Sick results Slappa, can't wait to do my first DICE run

Whats the name of the song/artist in the video? I'm into techy house/trance/minimal but that was a good song

Edit: Turns out my buddy knew the artist...and I am quite ashamed I have not heard that song/knew it was Josh Gabriel! You sir, have good taste! G&D when they were together is my top DJ producer, and Josh does some amazing work now too.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by battlecryawesome
View Post

Great video, Well Done.

Thanks for checking it out dude.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl0w3n
View Post

Sick results Slappa, can't wait to do my first DICE run

Whats the name of the song/artist in the video? I'm into techy house/trance/minimal but that was a good song

Edit: Turns out my buddy knew the artist...and I am quite ashamed I have not heard that song/knew it was Josh Gabriel! You sir, have good taste! G&D when they were together is my top DJ producer, and Josh does some amazing work now too.

It's called Viscosity By Josh Gabriel, this type of music is one of my favourite genre's/

G&D were amazing. My bro introduced me to all of this music. and I will never stop listening.

#24 ·
Cool video.

#25 ·
Thanks man!

Guys check it out, I made it on the front page of hwbot.org!

http://hwbot.org/

scroll down till you see my vid

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slappa
View Post

Thanks for checking it out dude.

It's called Viscosity By Josh Gabriel, this type of music is one of my favourite genre's/

G&D were amazing. My bro introduced me to all of this music. and I will never stop listening.

You have good taste

Well then sir, you will appreciate this site
www.liveset.nl and especially this section

Also, go here and click the drop down tab, then select "All Nocturnal Shows" and scroll down to "190 Hour 2 Dave Dresden Guest Mix" and let your ears enjoy an hour of Daves mix

Plenty of other great sets on that link, do some listening

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.