Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › SLI GTX460 Dual Monitors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SLI GTX460 Dual Monitors

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
So I have a GTX460 SLI setup with dual 23'' monitors that are attached to one card, I was simply wondering whether performance is better/worse/equivalent when the monitors are separated on to different cards compared to both being attached to one?

So:
GTX460- Monitor 1 + Monitor 2
GTX460- Nothing

Or:
GTX460- Monitor 1
GTX460- Monitor 2

Thanks again OCN
Primary Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 @ 4.01 w/HT ASUS P7P55D-E Pro 2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint F3s Windows 7 Pro x64 ASUS VG236H Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 @ 4.01 w/HT ASUS P7P55D-E Pro 2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint F3s Windows 7 Pro x64 ASUS VG236H Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
I doubt their is any difference. You could run 2 monitors on 1 card though, so why do you need sli'd?
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morizuno View Post
I doubt their is any difference. You could run 2 monitors on 1 card though, so why do you need sli'd?
I'm not understanding where you are going with this. I presently have 2 monitors attached to 1 card so I know it works, I just wanted to know if there is any performance change in compared to being attached to separate cards.
Primary Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 @ 4.01 w/HT ASUS P7P55D-E Pro 2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint F3s Windows 7 Pro x64 ASUS VG236H Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 @ 4.01 w/HT ASUS P7P55D-E Pro 2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint F3s Windows 7 Pro x64 ASUS VG236H Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
If you aren't using surround vision, you can't attach the second monitor to any of the other cards participating in the SLI.

Just so you know.

There aren't any performance lost or gains from using other cards for the second monitor.

The best (and only) way to use a second expand monitor (without surround), is connecting it to the first monitor.

If you want to use surround, you have to connect the second monitor to the second card, unless you are using three monitors.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
If you aren't using surround vision, you can't attach the second monitor to any of the other cards participating in the SLI.

Just so you know.

There aren't any performance lost or gains from using other cards for the second monitor.

The best (and only) way to use a second expand monitor (without surround), is connecting it to the first monitor.

If you want to use surround, you have to connect the second monitor to the second card, unless you are using three monitors.
I think you stated at first that you cannot use the second monitor on an SLI card then in the second statement you can.
Primary Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 @ 4.01 w/HT ASUS P7P55D-E Pro 2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint F3s Windows 7 Pro x64 ASUS VG236H Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 @ 4.01 w/HT ASUS P7P55D-E Pro 2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint F3s Windows 7 Pro x64 ASUS VG236H Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by milbrandt1 View Post
I think you stated at first that you cannot use the second monitor on an SLI card then in the second statement you can.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

You can, using surround vision.
It will make your screen be a one big monitor, instead of two monitors.
So if you are using two 1920X1200 monitors for example, it will make your computer think, that you have one large 3840x1200 monitor instead of two.

This will allow you to play across both of them, but since you have the frame in the middle, its not really fun.

So basically you have two options:

1. Both monitors on the first card, each monitor is separate in how windows detect them, and you can only plan full screen on one.

2. One monitor on each card, using surround, meaning windows see it as one big screen. Playing full screen you will have to force choose it as 1920X1200 on primary monitor, or you will get the game in the middle of both the monitors.
Edited by Defoler - 10/28/10 at 2:40pm
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

You can, using surround vision.
It will make your screen be a one big monitor, instead of two monitors.
So if you are using two 1920X1200 monitors for example, it will make your computer think, that you have one large 3840x1200 monitor instead of two.

This will allow you to play across both of them, but since you have the frame in the middle, its not really fun.
Ah ha, thank you my friend. I wasn't even aware that you could surround 2 monitors (you're right it would suck anyways)
Primary Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 @ 4.01 w/HT ASUS P7P55D-E Pro 2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint F3s Windows 7 Pro x64 ASUS VG236H Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 @ 4.01 w/HT ASUS P7P55D-E Pro 2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint F3s Windows 7 Pro x64 ASUS VG236H Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › SLI GTX460 Dual Monitors