Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › The i5-760 OC Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The i5-760 OC Club - Page 106

post #1051 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdoken View Post
It could be that your OC has become no longer stable (motherboards/chips will need higher voltage over time), and you need to raise the voltages a little.
But that is odd. I haven't heard that happen before.



Water cooling isn't all it's cracked up to be, eh?

Those are some sweet timings. What is the speed?
It only dropped my temperatures by about 2-5C they are almost the same as with the A70...

speed is only 1528 due to my overclock, but if I can get my cpu temps under control I would love to have about 4.2ghz ram speed of about 1650 or 1700 and keep my timings 6-7-6-24.
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1052 of 1926
So I've been slowly trying to bring mine up to about 4GHz over the last couple days. My MB is a ASUS P7H55-M PRO. As of now my Bclk is 180MHz and it's stable at 3.78GHz and Vcore=1.285V.

When I try to push the multiplier to 22 (which is as high as the bios will allow), it boots up fine and everything. I can see that the new settings have taken effect and the frequency is 3.96GHz. However, the instant I start prime95, the multiplier drops down back to 21! And it goes back up after stopping the test. As far as I know I've disabled every automatic throttling control in the bios (speedstep, cpu TM function, C1E, etc), but something is still holding it back, and it's not temperature or stability. Highest temps I've seen so far is 67C, so that shouldn't be setting off any alarms. What's the deal?
post #1053 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwieg View Post
So I've been slowly trying to bring mine up to about 4GHz over the last couple days. My MB is a ASUS P7H55-M PRO. As of now my Bclk is 180MHz and it's stable at 3.78GHz and Vcore=1.285V.

When I try to push the multiplier to 22 (which is as high as the bios will allow), it boots up fine and everything. I can see that the new settings have taken effect and the frequency is 3.96GHz. However, the instant I start prime95, the multiplier drops down back to 21! And it goes back up after stopping the test. As far as I know I've disabled every automatic throttling control in the bios (speedstep, cpu TM function, C1E, etc), but something is still holding it back, and it's not temperature or stability. Highest temps I've seen so far is 67C, so that shouldn't be setting off any alarms. What's the deal?
Why do you need the 22? why not just raise your BCLK. I have mine running at 191 right now with a 21 multiplier for 4.01 Ghz
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1054 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwieg View Post
So I've been slowly trying to bring mine up to about 4GHz over the last couple days. My MB is a ASUS P7H55-M PRO. As of now my Bclk is 180MHz and it's stable at 3.78GHz and Vcore=1.285V.

When I try to push the multiplier to 22 (which is as high as the bios will allow), it boots up fine and everything. I can see that the new settings have taken effect and the frequency is 3.96GHz. However, the instant I start prime95, the multiplier drops down back to 21! And it goes back up after stopping the test. As far as I know I've disabled every automatic throttling control in the bios (speedstep, cpu TM function, C1E, etc), but something is still holding it back, and it's not temperature or stability. Highest temps I've seen so far is 67C, so that shouldn't be setting off any alarms. What's the deal?
Because the max multi that CPU is supposed to go is 21. 22 is the turbo'd multi. If you have turbo off, then I can see why it turns back down to 21 under load.

Just raise the bclk to 191.
post #1055 of 1926
Turbo.. that's strange really, i have the same processor and i don't see turbo mode anywhere in bios? Does this mean i need a bios update?
post #1056 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by dembo1305 View Post
Why do you need the 22? why not just raise your BCLK. I have mine running at 191 right now with a 21 multiplier for 4.01 Ghz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdoken View Post
Because the max multi that CPU is supposed to go is 21. 22 is the turbo'd multi. If you have turbo off, then I can see why it turns back down to 21 under load.

Just raise the bclk to 191.
I have DDR3 1333 ram, so turning Bclk up near 190 would require that I choose between overclocking my ram to 1520MHz (won't be stable, even with loose timings and 1.6V) or underclocking it to 1140MHz, which is kind of lame. Also I've had stability problems with my Bclk near 200MHz. That must be a motherboard issue (won't let me turn the IMC/vtt/qpi voltage past 1.2V, very annoying).

So assuming I could get the Bclk higher, do you think the slower ram speed would be offset by the faster CPU?

I didn't notice any "turbo" mode in my BIOS. Are you talking about speedstep? Is using speedstep the only way to use the 22 multiplier under load?

Thanks for the replies
post #1057 of 1926
Sorry but i don't want your respond cuz you're a newbie and you only have 2 posts. I'd rather someone else's respond and i know i'd get a bios update anyways cuz i seen it say Turbo Mode in bios manual book. Fail suggestion pal.
post #1058 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwieg View Post
I have DDR3 1333 ram, so turning Bclk up near 190 would require that I choose between overclocking my ram to 1520MHz (won't be stable, even with loose timings and 1.6V) or underclocking it to 1140MHz, which is kind of lame. Also I've had stability problems with my Bclk near 200MHz. That must be a motherboard issue (won't let me turn the IMC/vtt/qpi voltage past 1.2V, very annoying).

So assuming I could get the Bclk higher, do you think the slower ram speed would be offset by the faster CPU?

I didn't notice any "turbo" mode in my BIOS. Are you talking about speedstep? Is using speedstep the only way to use the 22 multiplier under load?

Thanks for the replies
Have you updated your BIOS?
You can push your DRAM voltage higher than that. Try 1.61v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78@pwnt4lif3 View Post
Sorry but i don't want your respond cuz you're a newbie and you only have 2 posts. I'd rather someone else's respond and i know i'd get a bios update anyways cuz i seen it say Turbo Mode in bios manual book. Fail suggestion pal.
Two things,
Uh, what? Your post is hard to understand.
And your post isn't positive/helpful. Please go to Off Topic if you want to troll.
post #1059 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdoken View Post
Have you updated your BIOS?
You can push your DRAM voltage higher than that. Try 1.61v
I've run the Asus update utility and am given the option to update the BIOS (gives a few different choices, all with the same date). When I tell it to update it says that my current version is newer. But I'm betting that's not correct and my bios is old.

In the current bios, it only lets me set the RAM voltage in 0.1V steps (I know, garbage...). Could it be because it has a H55 chipset rather than P55, or is it more likely a bios issue?

Thanks
post #1060 of 1926
Sorry for the double post.

I went and tried to update my BIOS and the EZ flash tool told me I already had version 1604 (the newest one I could find, which I was going to install). So bios isn't the issue... but the description of version 1604 on Ausus's website said something interesting:
Quote:
1.Remove Auto hide Turbo V adjust Extreme CPU Ratio option if CPU Ratio not "Auto" function.
2.Remove Auto hide BIOS setup items with Extreme CPU "TurboMode Core Ratio Offset" if CPU Ratio not "Auto" function.
3.Remove Auto Disable HotkeyOC function for Extreme CPU if CPU Ratio not "Auto" funciton.
So this implies that turbo mode, as well as some other things, are only available if I set the cpu ratio to auto. I looked in the bios and verified this. So I tried setting cpu ratio to auto and turned turbo on. Now my multiplier seems locked at 21, even under load. What gives? Why can't I get it to stay at 22 under load?

If this topic would be better for a motherboard thread, let me know and I'll take it there.
Edited by mtwieg - 1/27/11 at 6:11am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › The i5-760 OC Club