Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › The i5-760 OC Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The i5-760 OC Club - Page 95

post #941 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppytheman View Post
First time OC, new to PC building and OCing. I want to hit 4.0 on air in a few days when my parts arrive. I will be checking back, help appreciated.

I currently had an OC stable at 3.6Ghz, however I lowered the VTT from 1.17V back to stock 1.10V. CPU-Z records 1.248 idle for Core Voltage however (not sure if thats same volt or turbo increasing it). I have not retested this because I am afraid of temps and dont want to fry my mobo or cpu 1 day before my HS arrives...

My CPU idle temps have dropped to 52-54C compared to 63-65C at 1.17V with stock cooler.


Following this guide

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/...ide-lynnfield/

I am told that 100C during IBT (I think it says it on page 3) on max is fine. I did a 3x pass on max with 97C temps on a few cores with some @ high 80's and it passed. My friend also said 85C is fine although I dont know how much he knows. I am currently using stock settings including turbo, 22x multi, 164BCLK.

I have also been playing BFBC2 for several hours at 80-85C for several hours with no problems at the 1.17V mid 60's C idle.

I bought a Scythe Mugen Rev.B, Arctic Silver 5, 4x 110CFM fans, and plan on doing my monthly dusting and do cable management (compared to cable terrible insanity) when everything arrives in a day.

I have 60-70F room temps along with 43C(60C load) OC'd 9800GTX+ 1GB 775/1945/1050 65% fan and 54C CPU full fan. I haven't tested stability at the 1.10 stock volt for CPU due to the fear of explosions.

I am using this forum along with the previous guide and

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...clocking-guide

which uses my mobo and cpu

Im very tired atm, very new to OC and this is my first build. I think I understand most of the things I need except temps and ram timings.

Again any help or tips is appreciated, my sig has full system info along with what I listed here. I also have a Msi GTX 470 Fermi Twin Frozr coming. Im sorry if any of this info is excessive but I'd like to be thorough if anyone answers while I am sleeping.
So to get things straight, you're using the stock cooler right now? It almost sounded like you didn't have a cooler at all. 100C is not Ok, especially for this chip. The TJ Max for it is 99, 97 is also very no ok.

85C is what mines running right now, but thats with an aftermarket cooler overclocked to 4.2Ghz.. quite a huge jump there.

Perfectly safe temps are from 50-65 under full load. But don't sweat it if you hit 70C. Running with high temps tends to lower the chips life. Just all the excess heat and stuff.

Ram timings are kinda hard to understand to begin with. So don't worry about that either. They don't affect performance that much unless your up in the 10's 8's or 9's are fine.

I would recommend trying 21 X 180 with a vCore of around 1.2 or something. run IBT for a few runs, if it fails then bump the vCore a little bit until it passes IBT on max, then run Prime 95 for a while. Overnight if nothing else.

EDIT: VTT and vCore are two different voltages. When your in CPU Z core voltage = vCore
I don't think it shows VTT in CPUZ
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #942 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppytheman View Post
First time OC, new to PC building and OCing. I want to hit 4.0 on air in a few days when my parts arrive. I will be checking back, help appreciated.

I currently had an OC stable at 3.6Ghz, however I lowered the VTT from 1.17V back to stock 1.10V. CPU-Z records 1.248 idle for Core Voltage however (not sure if thats same volt or turbo increasing it). I have not retested this because I am afraid of temps and dont want to fry my mobo or cpu 1 day before my HS arrives...

My CPU idle temps have dropped to 52-54C compared to 63-65C at 1.17V with stock cooler.


Following this guide

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/...ide-lynnfield/

I am told that 100C during IBT (I think it says it on page 3) on max is fine. I did a 3x pass on max with 97C temps on a few cores with some @ high 80's and it passed. My friend also said 85C is fine although I dont know how much he knows. I am currently using stock settings including turbo, 22x multi, 164BCLK.

I have also been playing BFBC2 for several hours at 80-85C for several hours with no problems at the 1.17V mid 60's C idle.

I bought a Scythe Mugen Rev.B, Arctic Silver 5, 4x 110CFM fans, and plan on doing my monthly dusting and do cable management (compared to cable terrible insanity) when everything arrives in a day.

I have 60-70F room temps along with 43C(60C load) OC'd 9800GTX+ 1GB 775/1945/1050 65% fan and 54C CPU full fan. I haven't tested stability at the 1.10 stock volt for CPU due to the fear of explosions.

I am using this forum along with the previous guide and

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...clocking-guide

which uses my mobo and cpu

Im very tired atm, very new to OC and this is my first build. I think I understand most of the things I need except temps and ram timings.

Again any help or tips is appreciated, my sig has full system info along with what I listed here. I also have a Msi GTX 470 Fermi Twin Frozr coming. Im sorry if any of this info is excessive but I'd like to be thorough if anyone answers while I am sleeping.
97C is very high. I like to keep max core temps recorded with Real Temp or HWMonitor below 80C and I'm less conservative than some just more conservative than miahallen. I'd just wait until you have your new cooler on to go pushing it. At around 99C it will start thermal throttling as a way to warn you to back off and keep itself safe. If it works like my past Intel CPU's if you keep pushing it once it starts thermal throttling it will shut itself down and give you a TJMax BSOD. Haven't seen one of those since my 830 though.

VTT @ 1.10v could be dangerously low depending on your RAM Voltage. The VTT must stay within .5v of the RAM or DRAM or DIMM (sorry varies between bios) Voltage. So if your RAM is 1.65v the lowest you would want your VTT is 1.15v and since it wouldn't be uncommon for your board to overvolt the RAM Voltage a little more than what it is set to 1.20v could be even safer. Running outside of that .5v window can and will damage your Internal Memory Controller in a fairly short time span.

You will probably have better luck with the 20 or 21 CPU Ratio than 22. They are all different though. I can run the same clock speeds at lower voltage and temps with 21 than anything else. Some people have better luck with 20. If your CPU happens to like 22 better then so be it but I would consider it the odd duck if it did.

Overclocking with full turbo on is tricky. When it hits the 25 multi it will auto add more voltage to keep it stable. This could cause major problems if you aren't very careful with it. I'd suggest starting out overclocking with turbo and all power savings stuff disabled. Then after you get it all figured out if you want to go back and play with the 25 multi or power savings features go ahead but I'd wait until you have a pretty good handle on your system to do so.
Monster IIr
(20 items)
 
Tinker
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 MSI R7970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Black 640GB Crucial M4 SSD Corsair 840 SSD Seagate  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Cogage Arrow Windows 7 Alienware AW2310 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ST2410 BlackWidow Ultimate Corsair 850TX CM Sniper 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 FUNC X-Fi Titanium HD  Sennheiser PC360 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 EVGA P55 FTW XFX 5850 Mushkin Blackline 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Caviar Blue 640 Asus Corsair A70 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ST2410 Rosewill RK-800G Seasonic M12II 620 NZXT Gamma 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Func Archetype 1030 ASUS XONAR_DG JVC HA-RX700 
  hide details  
Reply
Monster IIr
(20 items)
 
Tinker
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 MSI R7970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Black 640GB Crucial M4 SSD Corsair 840 SSD Seagate  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Cogage Arrow Windows 7 Alienware AW2310 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ST2410 BlackWidow Ultimate Corsair 850TX CM Sniper 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 FUNC X-Fi Titanium HD  Sennheiser PC360 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 EVGA P55 FTW XFX 5850 Mushkin Blackline 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Caviar Blue 640 Asus Corsair A70 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ST2410 Rosewill RK-800G Seasonic M12II 620 NZXT Gamma 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Func Archetype 1030 ASUS XONAR_DG JVC HA-RX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #943 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sizzzle~ View Post
97C is very high. I like to keep max core temps recorded with Real Temp or HWMonitor below 80C and I'm less conservative than some just more conservative than miahallen. I'd just wait until you have your new cooler on to go pushing it. At around 99C it will start thermal throttling as a way to warn you to back off and keep itself safe. If it works like my past Intel CPU's if you keep pushing it once it starts thermal throttling it will shut itself down and give you a TJMax BSOD. Haven't seen one of those since my 830 though.

VTT @ 1.10v could be dangerously low depending on your RAM Voltage. The VTT must stay within .5v of the RAM or DRAM or DIMM (sorry varies between bios) Voltage. So if your RAM is 1.65v the lowest you would want your VTT is 1.15v and since it wouldn't be uncommon for your board to overvolt the RAM Voltage a little more than what it is set to 1.20v could be even safer. Running outside of that .5v window can and will damage your Internal Memory Controller in a fairly short time span.

You will probably have better luck with the 20 or 21 CPU Ratio than 22. They are all different though. I can run the same clock speeds at lower voltage and temps with 21 than anything else. Some people have better luck with 20. If your CPU happens to like 22 better then so be it but I would consider it the odd duck if it did.

Overclocking with full turbo on is tricky. When it hits the 25 multi it will auto add more voltage to keep it stable. This could cause major problems if you aren't very careful with it. I'd suggest starting out overclocking with turbo and all power savings stuff disabled. Then after you get it all figured out if you want to go back and play with the 25 multi or power savings features go ahead but I'd wait until you have a pretty good handle on your system to do so.
Thx for responses so far. I'd also like to stay a bit conservative as the system is a mid end that I built with the intention of "giving" to my dad when I built a high end comp. So longevity is definitely important.

I read the first oh... 17 pages of this thread and checked many of the OC stats other have and have also noticed 20-21 multi as the most common. I will turn off turbo and try 20. The only reason I have turbo on is I didnt know what it was and when I turn it off my OC is unstable in ITBv2. I really dislike reading to gain information as having someone in person makes the learning so much easier. I have like 2 pages of notes on OCing XD

I understand the 0.05V RAM timing however there is supposed to be an auto VTT + 0.05V setting in my bios. Also my Vdroop setting for this mobo is funny, its opposite like enabled = disabled rofl.
post #944 of 1922
What would be the safe overclock with stock volts when it comes to overclocking this processor?

Advice?

I'm not looking for any voltage tweaks cuz it makes me nervous still doing that.

Bad experience with 775 a few years ago then again it was truly a crappy mobo.
post #945 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by dembo1305 View Post
So to get things straight, you're using the stock cooler right now? It almost sounded like you didn't have a cooler at all. 100C is not Ok, especially for this chip. The TJ Max for it is 99, 97 is also very no ok.

85C is what mines running right now, but thats with an aftermarket cooler overclocked to 4.2Ghz.. quite a huge jump there.

Perfectly safe temps are from 50-65 under full load. But don't sweat it if you hit 70C. Running with high temps tends to lower the chips life. Just all the excess heat and stuff.

Ram timings are kinda hard to understand to begin with. So don't worry about that either. They don't affect performance that much unless your up in the 10's 8's or 9's are fine.

I would recommend trying 21 X 180 with a vCore of around 1.2 or something. run IBT for a few runs, if it fails then bump the vCore a little bit until it passes IBT on max, then run Prime 95 for a while. Overnight if nothing else.

EDIT: VTT and vCore are two different voltages. When your in CPU Z core voltage = vCore
I don't think it shows VTT in CPUZ
Thx. I know Vcore and VTT are different but I wasnt sure what "Core Voltage" was since Turbo was adding voltage.

I really really dislike reading to learn as well since for anything to stick I have to take notes
post #946 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78@pwnt4lif3 View Post
What would be the safe overclock with stock volts when it comes to overclocking this processor?

Advice?

I'm not looking for any voltage tweaks cuz it makes me nervous still doing that.

Bad experience with 775 a few years ago then again it was truly a crappy mobo.
I would say there is no set safe overclock with stock voltage. Just set it to stock voltage and then bump BCLK until it becomes unstable. Then take the BCLK back down some. I wouldn't expect it to get to far. Maybe 3.6? maybe higher, or lower, i'm not completely sure.
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #947 of 1922
Stock voltage as in locking in the voltage where vcore @ load with Prime95 will be the same load voltage once overclocked. Not stock voltage as in leaving it in auto and letting it have its way I'd hope. Anyway locking in stock voltage I'd expect to make it to 160-167 baseclock so 3.4 - 3.5GHz with 21 as multi. Maybe 3.7 if you get lucky and 22 works out for you.
Monster IIr
(20 items)
 
Tinker
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 MSI R7970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Black 640GB Crucial M4 SSD Corsair 840 SSD Seagate  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Cogage Arrow Windows 7 Alienware AW2310 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ST2410 BlackWidow Ultimate Corsair 850TX CM Sniper 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 FUNC X-Fi Titanium HD  Sennheiser PC360 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 EVGA P55 FTW XFX 5850 Mushkin Blackline 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Caviar Blue 640 Asus Corsair A70 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ST2410 Rosewill RK-800G Seasonic M12II 620 NZXT Gamma 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Func Archetype 1030 ASUS XONAR_DG JVC HA-RX700 
  hide details  
Reply
Monster IIr
(20 items)
 
Tinker
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 MSI R7970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Black 640GB Crucial M4 SSD Corsair 840 SSD Seagate  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Cogage Arrow Windows 7 Alienware AW2310 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ST2410 BlackWidow Ultimate Corsair 850TX CM Sniper 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 FUNC X-Fi Titanium HD  Sennheiser PC360 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 EVGA P55 FTW XFX 5850 Mushkin Blackline 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Caviar Blue 640 Asus Corsair A70 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ST2410 Rosewill RK-800G Seasonic M12II 620 NZXT Gamma 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Func Archetype 1030 ASUS XONAR_DG JVC HA-RX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #948 of 1922
Oh man PC building/modding/OC is so rewarding. When I initially built my first PC, this PC, 3 months ago I planned on OC and doing proper airflow but the amount of learning initially was too much so I took a break. I had to find the right parts, right compat, good for OC, right price, etc. Then I had to put it all together with mainly text instruction and some video. Once my PC was running I was like forget OCing and airflow!

Just made my airflow/wire management about 10x better and my idle temps have dropped from 55C+ average at idle to 48C average with a few minor programs open.

With the AS5, Mugen, and 4 additonal fans I am gonna be freezing. I also noticed my GPU is about 5C lower.

Can't wait to get 4Ghz stable and OC my 470 Fermi tommorow
post #949 of 1922
Hey everyone I'm a proud owner of an i5 760 and would like to join this club Here is a link to my validation http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1433105 I have been running at 4.0 since the beginning of october, I recently got interested in folding and had to lower it to 3.8 because I kept getting BSOD. I see some fellow folders in here and am looking for a few pointers
Problem Child
(13 items)
 
TROUBLEMAKER
(14 items)
 
Alienbuild1
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Asus Rampage IV Extreme 7970 G.Skill 16g 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin 120 SSD WD 1TB Asus 24x XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
EK mobo waterblocks W7 Ultimate HP LA2205wg x 3 Antec 1000 TPQ 
Case
NZXT Switch 810 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 4.0@1.26v MSI P55-GD80 GTX 460 G.Skill 4x2gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 840gb Asus 24x H100i W7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP LA2205wg  HP  1000 w Antec Lanboy Air 
Mouse
Microsoft Arc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955 C3 ma790x-ud4p Radeon HD 5770 OC OCZ 800 4x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2-500gb WD Caviar Blue raid0 LG Super Multi 24x, Asus 24x Windows 7 Ultimate 64 LG 23" 
PowerCase
Raidmax RX630Z Logisys Case 51 
  hide details  
Reply
Problem Child
(13 items)
 
TROUBLEMAKER
(14 items)
 
Alienbuild1
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Asus Rampage IV Extreme 7970 G.Skill 16g 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin 120 SSD WD 1TB Asus 24x XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
EK mobo waterblocks W7 Ultimate HP LA2205wg x 3 Antec 1000 TPQ 
Case
NZXT Switch 810 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 4.0@1.26v MSI P55-GD80 GTX 460 G.Skill 4x2gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 840gb Asus 24x H100i W7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP LA2205wg  HP  1000 w Antec Lanboy Air 
Mouse
Microsoft Arc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955 C3 ma790x-ud4p Radeon HD 5770 OC OCZ 800 4x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2-500gb WD Caviar Blue raid0 LG Super Multi 24x, Asus 24x Windows 7 Ultimate 64 LG 23" 
PowerCase
Raidmax RX630Z Logisys Case 51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #950 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppytheman View Post
Oh man PC building/modding/OC is so rewarding. When I initially built my first PC, this PC, 3 months ago I planned on OC and doing proper airflow but the amount of learning initially was too much so I took a break. I had to find the right parts, right compat, good for OC, right price, etc. Then I had to put it all together with mainly text instruction and some video. Once my PC was running I was like forget OCing and airflow!

Just made my airflow/wire management about 10x better and my idle temps have dropped from 55C+ average at idle to 48C average with a few minor programs open.

With the AS5, Mugen, and 4 additonal fans I am gonna be freezing. I also noticed my GPU is about 5C lower.

Can't wait to get 4Ghz stable and OC my 470 Fermi tommorow


If you still plan on default voltages make sure you set them in bios before overclocking. Alot of times when left at auto they tend to adjust with the OC and overvolt...
VCORE
VTT/QPI/IMC (whichever your board lists it as)
DRAM
PLL - 1.80v


Also be sure to keep your VTT/QPI/IMC voltage within .50v of the DRAM... So if your running Ram at rated 1.65, make sure you dont go lower than 1.15v on the VTT as its been known to cause major issues with the IMC...
The Money Pit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 - 4.24 @ 1.40v Batch #3941B089 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI 580 GTX Lightning - 950/1900/2200 @ 1.1v 6GB Mushkin @ 1475 - 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Vertex Plus 2 x 500GB WD Blues RAID0 Lite-On DVD/CD Custom H20 Loop 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ulti-64 25" I-Inc iH253 Antec TruePower New TP-750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
The Money Pit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 - 4.24 @ 1.40v Batch #3941B089 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI 580 GTX Lightning - 950/1900/2200 @ 1.1v 6GB Mushkin @ 1475 - 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Vertex Plus 2 x 500GB WD Blues RAID0 Lite-On DVD/CD Custom H20 Loop 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ulti-64 25" I-Inc iH253 Antec TruePower New TP-750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › The i5-760 OC Club