Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] NZXT PHANTOM Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NZXT PHANTOM Owner's Club - Page 1244

post #12431 of 15204
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsfrommike View Post

That's my bad. I meant to put the Asrock Extreme Z77 Extreme4 (although i'm tempted by the extreme6 - it being only about £15 more expensive) I'd put the parts on partpicker and forgot to update it before i pasted it in.
Thanks for pointing it out, i would have probably been too excited to notice when i was buying everything.
I'm not sure about the Noctua, from what I've seen there is a bit of a debate about it. I like the fact that the Corsair is less bulky, and i think it looks smarter and smoother, from what i've seen it also offers slightly better performance; but i could be wrong about that. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll look into it some more!
The power I'm going after is the Enthusiast Series TX750 V2. I don't think I'll need more than 750w.

It is, I had a d14 but swapped for the h100 instead, makes working in ur case much easier imo. Trust me you'll appreciate the xtra space cause the d14 takes up alot of real estate & you can't fit the side 200mm fan with it if u plan on putting 1. Performance wise they're both similar but the h100 does have a slighter edge as it's a liquid cooling option. As for your mobo choice I've never used ASrock but check Asus & Gigabyte z77 boards, I would recommend those as well.
Ryze n shine
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ryzen r5 1600 asus crosshair vi hero Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti GSkill tridentZ rgb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black Samsung 850 evo Custom WC Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer predator x34 Corsair K70 RGB evga supernova g2 850w  Phanteks Evolv Atx 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Corsair mm200 Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Blue Snowball 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Mackie cr4 Razer Orbweaver Maxnomic Dominator Gaming Chair Xbox one controller (Master Chief Ed.) 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryze n shine
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ryzen r5 1600 asus crosshair vi hero Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti GSkill tridentZ rgb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black Samsung 850 evo Custom WC Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer predator x34 Corsair K70 RGB evga supernova g2 850w  Phanteks Evolv Atx 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Corsair mm200 Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Blue Snowball 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Mackie cr4 Razer Orbweaver Maxnomic Dominator Gaming Chair Xbox one controller (Master Chief Ed.) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12432 of 15204
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsfrommike View Post

That's my bad. I meant to put the Asrock Extreme Z77 Extreme4 (although i'm tempted by the extreme6 - it being only about £15 more expensive) I'd put the parts on partpicker and forgot to update it before i pasted it in.
Thanks for pointing it out, i would have probably been too excited to notice when i was buying everything.
I'm not sure about the Noctua, from what I've seen there is a bit of a debate about it. I like the fact that the Corsair is less bulky, and i think it looks smarter and smoother, from what i've seen it also offers slightly better performance; but i could be wrong about that. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll look into it some more!
The power I'm going after is the Enthusiast Series TX750 V2. I don't think I'll need more than 750w.
There are a couple problems with the corsair H100:
You need to replace the stock fans with something like Noctuas for it to be quiet.
Air coolers are more reliable than water coolers.
It is usually more expensive than the NH-D14 for approximately the same performance (keep in mind that the H100 performs slightly better because of its higher RPM fans).
gigantic heat sinks are sexy (no, I'm not compensating for anything).

The TX750V2 is a good PSU; it's complete overkill for a single GPU card, though. You can run the most power consuming single GPU cards off of a 600 watt power supply.
post #12433 of 15204
I plan on having more than one GPU card at some point, probably 6/9 months from now I'll throw another one in. Because of this i thought it was better to spend the extra on a more powerful PSU, instead of having to update it half a year from now.

I'll have a look at the mobo's suggested (Asus & Gigabyte Z77) although I'm currently struggling to see too much difference between them. Something I'll have to research in a bit more detail i think!!

I'd also replace the fans from the H100, as i plan on replacing the fans that come with the case. In the end i hope to have all the fan spaces in use. I'm just unsure of which fans to go for!

Thank for all your help though!
Edited by wordsfrommike - 7/18/12 at 4:39pm
post #12434 of 15204
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsfrommike View Post

I plan on having more than one GPU card at some point, probably 6/9 months from now I'll throw another one in. Because of this i thought it was better to spend the extra on a more powerful PSU, instead of having to update it half a year from now.
I'll have a look at the mobo's suggested (Asus & Gigabyte Z77) although I'm currently struggling to see too much difference between them. Something I'll have to research in a bit more detail i think!!
Thank for all your help though!
What resolution are you playing at? At 1080p that card will max out everything.

There are very few major differences between motherboards; the differences mainly are the power delivery systems, and specific features like lucid virtue. What are the specific motherboards you are looking at?
Edited by Art Vanelay - 7/18/12 at 4:42pm
post #12435 of 15204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay View Post

There are a couple problems with the corsair H100:
You need to replace the stock fans with something like Noctuas for it to be quiet.
Air coolers are more reliable than water coolers.
It is usually more expensive than the NH-D14 for approximately the same performance (keep in mind that the H100 performs slightly better because of its higher RPM fans).
gigantic heat sinks are sexy (no, I'm not compensating for anything).

True I forgot to mention that, did this intially when I got mines. Yes it is more expensive but imo worth it due to the low profile & the better cooling potential with some good replacement fans. I mainly replaced my d14 due to dust, already had enough fans in my rig already. If u're room is AC'd well that's irrelevant. It is a pretty sexy cooler I give it that, but I overall find the h100 to look alot better imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsfrommike View Post

I'd also replace the fans from the H100, as i plan on replacing the fans that come with the case

I'm using these. Highly recommend them, ultra quiet & push alot of air.
Ryze n shine
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ryzen r5 1600 asus crosshair vi hero Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti GSkill tridentZ rgb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black Samsung 850 evo Custom WC Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer predator x34 Corsair K70 RGB evga supernova g2 850w  Phanteks Evolv Atx 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Corsair mm200 Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Blue Snowball 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Mackie cr4 Razer Orbweaver Maxnomic Dominator Gaming Chair Xbox one controller (Master Chief Ed.) 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryze n shine
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ryzen r5 1600 asus crosshair vi hero Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti GSkill tridentZ rgb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black Samsung 850 evo Custom WC Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer predator x34 Corsair K70 RGB evga supernova g2 850w  Phanteks Evolv Atx 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Corsair mm200 Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Blue Snowball 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Mackie cr4 Razer Orbweaver Maxnomic Dominator Gaming Chair Xbox one controller (Master Chief Ed.) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12436 of 15204

Check out my build log "Nightmare" it's coming along and there is a new update with pics.

Nightmare
(12 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K Maximus V Formula Z77 AMD Radeon 6990 G.SKILL Ripjaw X 8gigs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640gig ASUS DRW-24B1ST XSPC Raystorm CPU Block, 2 EX 240 Rads, Koolanc... Win 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
IPS231P-BN x5 Razer Black Widow Ultimate BF3 Edition Seasonic X 1250 Watt NZXT Phantom Red 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 3.4 Gigabyte 990 FXA-UD3 Sapphire Vapor-X 5750 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8gig DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Carviar Black 640gig ASUS DRW-24B1ST CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Gateway 22" 1680x1050 Coolermaster 660 Watt Antec DF-30 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A6-3670k Club 3D 7950 Royal King Kingston HyperX Genesis Seagate Barracuda 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LG Internal 24x DVD-Writer, OEM Windows 7 Ultimate Antec HCG-520M Silverstone SG01-s 
  hide details  
Reply
Nightmare
(12 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K Maximus V Formula Z77 AMD Radeon 6990 G.SKILL Ripjaw X 8gigs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640gig ASUS DRW-24B1ST XSPC Raystorm CPU Block, 2 EX 240 Rads, Koolanc... Win 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
IPS231P-BN x5 Razer Black Widow Ultimate BF3 Edition Seasonic X 1250 Watt NZXT Phantom Red 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 3.4 Gigabyte 990 FXA-UD3 Sapphire Vapor-X 5750 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8gig DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Carviar Black 640gig ASUS DRW-24B1ST CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Gateway 22" 1680x1050 Coolermaster 660 Watt Antec DF-30 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A6-3670k Club 3D 7950 Royal King Kingston HyperX Genesis Seagate Barracuda 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LG Internal 24x DVD-Writer, OEM Windows 7 Ultimate Antec HCG-520M Silverstone SG01-s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12437 of 15204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniboi82 View Post

True I forgot to mention that, did this intially when I got mines. Yes it is more expensive but imo worth it due to the low profile & the better cooling potential with some good replacement fans. I mainly replaced my d14 due to dust, already had enough fans in my rig already. If u're room is AC'd well that's irrelevant. It is a pretty sexy cooler I give it that, but I overall find the h100 to look alot better imo.
The NH-D14 with 3 Noctua fans will probably perform as well as the H100 in push pull with the same fans. It really all comes down to looks, price, and whether you care about reliability.
post #12438 of 15204
Deleted
Edited by IT Diva - 9/12/12 at 11:11am
post #12439 of 15204
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Diva View Post

Did anyone notice he wanted a Vertex 2, that would still be the old sata II speed.
You guys can argue the merits of a D14 versus the H100 adinfinitum, but in the end, the H100 doesn'y hang a 5 pound weight on your mobo, or affect you ram choice or look fugly and make it hard to work on your rig.
Massive heatsinks look fugly? Your opinion is wrong. tongue.gif
post #12440 of 15204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay View Post

Massive heatsinks look fugly? Your opinion is wrong. tongue.gif

No u
Black and Yellow
(19 items)
 
Review Rig
(14 items)
 
The mATX HTPC
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k ASRock Z77 OC Formula Inno3d GTX 680 16GB Avexir "MPower"  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
128GB Plextor M3 750GB Seagate Momentus XT Optical drive!? NEVARRRR EK Supremacy Copper/Plexi 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK XTX 360 EK DCP 4.0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ASUS VS247H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" CM Storm QuickFire Pro Corsair AX1200i Case Labs Merlin SM8 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Sentinel Advance II Inno3d High Speed Large mousepad Roccat Kave 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Z77 Extreme6 Sparkle Calibre GTX X480 Samsung Green 30nm 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor 128GB M3 Thermaltake WATER2.0 Extreme Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ASUS VS247H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" CM Storm Quickfire Pro High Power Platinum Astro PT NZXT Switch 810 SE Gunmetal 
MouseAudio
CM Sentinel Advance II Corsair Vengeance 1500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 2100 Z68MA-G45 (B3) (MS-7676) Radeon HD 4870 Samsung  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Samsung  WD Caviar Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Air D: Windows 7 Home Premium LG 32" 1080p HDTV 
PowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w SilverStone PS07 NZXT Avatar S 
  hide details  
Reply
Black and Yellow
(19 items)
 
Review Rig
(14 items)
 
The mATX HTPC
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k ASRock Z77 OC Formula Inno3d GTX 680 16GB Avexir "MPower"  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
128GB Plextor M3 750GB Seagate Momentus XT Optical drive!? NEVARRRR EK Supremacy Copper/Plexi 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK XTX 360 EK DCP 4.0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ASUS VS247H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" CM Storm QuickFire Pro Corsair AX1200i Case Labs Merlin SM8 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Sentinel Advance II Inno3d High Speed Large mousepad Roccat Kave 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Z77 Extreme6 Sparkle Calibre GTX X480 Samsung Green 30nm 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor 128GB M3 Thermaltake WATER2.0 Extreme Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ASUS VS247H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" CM Storm Quickfire Pro High Power Platinum Astro PT NZXT Switch 810 SE Gunmetal 
MouseAudio
CM Sentinel Advance II Corsair Vengeance 1500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 2100 Z68MA-G45 (B3) (MS-7676) Radeon HD 4870 Samsung  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Samsung  WD Caviar Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Air D: Windows 7 Home Premium LG 32" 1080p HDTV 
PowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w SilverStone PS07 NZXT Avatar S 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] NZXT PHANTOM Owner's Club