Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Round 2, my next build! "The Mechanical Artisan"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Round 2, my next build! "The Mechanical Artisan"

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Alright, so I was here last year, on my FIRST build, let's just say I had some personal problems, and drama, so that never happened, the build. So I'm on my second one, and yeah go figure, around the Holidays, so anyways, I think I did good for a start, but I'm only a intermediate, I know you guys can help me confirm/better this build.

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.412237

CPU Fan - HDT-S1283
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233003

GPU - GTX 460
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=E145-0475

Motherboard - ASRock 890FX Deluxe4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-208-_-Product

PSU - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371026

Optical - LG CD/DVD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136177

RAM - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145260

Case - Cooler Master HAF 932
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...085&CatId=1510

HDD - Have already




Expectations: I just want to do some gaming with NICE graphics, I'm talkin' beast stuff! No, I don't mean 4 $500 dollared GPU's on 4 way SLI, but nice enough, crispy. I mainly want to be able to run that Starcraft 2, CRISPY, WoW, FLAWLESS, I want it to look like I'm looking out of my kitchen window when I'm playing WoW! Fallout: New Vegas, CRISPY, Crysis (Please don't suggest more power due to this x.x), on MEDIUM SETTINGS, the works! And I want to be able to watch .mkv's without lag, I hated that on my past PC's, or being able to watch a youtube video, fullscreen, with the 1080p HD, without massive lag. That is all.



Now, that's what I worked up, here are my concerns though:

PSU - Well, I am gonna go for 750W, I plan to use SLI in the future, this quad, the card(s) etc... will I need more wattage?

Case - Is there a way I can put some LED's in there, that aren't fans or something? (Smexyness)

GPU - : This is my main concern, I'm kind of paranoid about tempature, that's how one of my other PC's chalked, too much heatage! But I want to know if I'll need EXTRA GPU cooling to keep that thing tamed, I'm not trying to have my PC combust into flames ya know! I mainly wonder about peak performance.

CPU - None, since there's a good fan with it.

Extra accessories, so I heard sometimes Newegg/Tiger don't give you the little things you need to put things together... Like thermal paste, screws etc. Seriously, I'm gonna be real pissed if I get ready to put this together and I'm missing something small and simple, like some thermal paste...


Overall, I just mainly want this thing to run strong, but cool, I REALLY don't want stuff running so hot I can cook my ramen. That is all.


Grand Total:
$750
- $25,$30,$10,$20 Mail-In rebate
--------------------------
$665

(Most likely will be more if I have to make a few switches or get a CPU cooler...)

Thanks.
=<


Edited by Carnavas333 - 12/7/10 at 4:14pm
post #2 of 7
Hey,nice start!

Well,the 980A Chipset is a little bit muddled up,so I would probably suggest you something like this :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...644R-_-Product

It is a beast board,+ this one costs only 30$ more...

Though If it goes out of you budget,An http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-208-_-Product

is really good too.

Now,for a GPU,I'd recommend the 6870 over the 460.

I know it is more expensive,but the 6870 is performing par on par with the 470 ,and it still has for driver updates coming to make it perform better.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
.:Intel® Core™ i7 930 @ 4.0:. .:Foxconn Flaming Blade GTI:. .:AMD Radeon HD 6870:. .:Corsair XMS3 1600MHz:. 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
.:WD WD1002FAEX 1TB HDD:. .:Windows 7 Ultimate x64:. .:Samsung SyncMaster BX2231:. .:OCZ Z-Series 600W:. 
CaseMouse
.:CoolerMaster HAF 932:. .:CM Storm:. 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
.:Intel® Core™ i7 930 @ 4.0:. .:Foxconn Flaming Blade GTI:. .:AMD Radeon HD 6870:. .:Corsair XMS3 1600MHz:. 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
.:WD WD1002FAEX 1TB HDD:. .:Windows 7 Ultimate x64:. .:Samsung SyncMaster BX2231:. .:OCZ Z-Series 600W:. 
CaseMouse
.:CoolerMaster HAF 932:. .:CM Storm:. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Looking gooooooddddd
750W should be able to handle 2 460's at ease.
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvester View Post
Hey,nice start!

Well,the 980A Chipset is a little bit muddled up,so I would probably suggest you something like this :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...644R-_-Product

It is a beast board,+ this one costs only 30$ more...

Though If it goes out of you budget,An http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-208-_-Product

is really good too.

Now,for a GPU,I'd recommend the 6870 over the 460.

I know it is more expensive,but the 6870 is performing par on par with the 470 ,and it still has for driver updates coming to make it perform better.
That board is sold out, and the second, I could possibly consider that, maybe, but for me this is already kinda steep... lol

Ah, well, I thank you for your advice, but I'll stick with the 460, and I have a bad history with ATI & drivers. x.x


Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Looking gooooooddddd
750W should be able to handle 2 460's at ease.
Cool.

Anyone have opinions/facts on this not overheating/how much cooling I'll need?
post #5 of 7
The GTX 460 TDP is actually not much more (maybe less!?) than a GTS 250 TDP, and I run GTS 250 SLI with an older 650W from Seasonic.
You can save $14 on the processor by purchasing this combo at Newegg, and siphon that $14 towards a Hyper 212, HDT-S1283/Dark Knight (upward-blowing mounting only, but no prob on a HAF 932) or Corsair A50 or A70
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
The GTX 460 TDP is actually not much more (maybe less!?) than a GTS 250 TDP, and I run GTS 250 SLI with an older 650W from Seasonic.
You can save $14 on the processor by purchasing this combo at Newegg, and siphon that $14 towards a Hyper 212, HDT-S1283/Dark Knight (upward-blowing mounting only, but no prob on a HAF 932) or Corsair A50 or A70
Cool notice, I'll keep that in mind.
=<
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Decided to add one of RAM FANS fans.
A bit more steep but rebate price is smexy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Round 2, my next build! "The Mechanical Artisan"