Originally Posted by Fatality292;12524002
Personal tools eh?
Hahha, yup, more like personal clamps eh? I thought I had a shot of my tools in that last update, but I guess it didn't make the cut
Originally Posted by rockcoeur;12524794
WHOOOOOO! Made in Canada!
Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx;12525242
shmexy wood mate
Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead;12528320
I cant help but think that it looks like somewhere you might chop body parts up. You know with the plastic sheeting and basement.
But in all seriousness looking great. Do you need to do any more edge trimming?
Also what height are those ceiling beams?
Originally Posted by chizel;12540567
Lol! Does kinda look like a scene out of Dexter
No kidding eh! I bet the other tenant in the house (Who uses the laundry machine in the basement) would have been sufficiently freaked out if I hadn't let her know beforehand!!!
I will be doing a bit more edge trimming. I have some pieces already cut, but we'll see if it's going to be enough. I think the bottom of the joists are a few inches under 6 feet. I can only stand up in between the joists (I'm 6'1), so it makes for some... interesting head banging lol
Originally Posted by Darkknight512;12534032
Looks great man, what color stain(does that even make sense?)?
Thanks Darkknight512, yes that makes sense
I'm going to be going with a dark red cherry/mahogany finish. I think the next few updates will show my progress with stain samples, so stay tuned!
Originally Posted by Magmo;12540711
Been looking into building myself a new desk recently as well and you for sure have made me REALLY look more into it, this looks amazing!
can't wait to see this bad boy all finished and installed.
Thanks Magmo, if you stick around, I'll be going over some of the things I did poorly, and some of the things I did well - may or may not help you out when it comes to designing your own project!
So, I did a bit of work in the basement the other night, and since the next part of the project is going to be assembly, I decided to give it another shot at test fitting, since the last time I tried it was just loosely put together.
Time to get out the sander with some 80 grit. The hose on my shop vac is a little over 2", and I didn't have an adapter to attach it to the DeWalt ROB Sander unfortunately, so a little tape had to do the job.
I took each piece one by one and sanded down the edges where they slide into the dado cuts. I had to do a surprising amount of sanding, as the fit was incredibly tight.
I also took the time to label each piece (Top, Middle, Bottom, and which side faces the front) so that it could be easily repeatable when it comes time for final assembly.
Almost there. So tight! I needed a rubber mallet to set some of them, and then remove them afterwards.
This shelf was just ~slightly~ warped, and needed a lot of sanding so that one end was nice and snug, and this end actually a bit of free space (Hello wood filler!)
A couple more progress shots:
And, all tightly assembled. I could probably jump on this box...
I spent about an hour and a half doing that, and honestly, it was freezing cold down there and that's about all I could stand for that evening. Until next time!