Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Gaming performance: SSD VS Raid 0 HDDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaming performance: SSD VS Raid 0 HDDs - Page 2

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post
Modern SSD's have garbage collection, you don't have to wipe them.
Most garbage utilities are no match for TRIM.
Mirage
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI HD6870 6GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OS on a 30GB SSD, Everything else on a 250GB HDD 2x DVD-RW Windows 7 x64 3x21.5" Acer in Eyefinity @5760x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 OCZ Fatal1ty Modular 700W HAF932 MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Mirage
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI HD6870 6GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OS on a 30GB SSD, Everything else on a 250GB HDD 2x DVD-RW Windows 7 x64 3x21.5" Acer in Eyefinity @5760x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 OCZ Fatal1ty Modular 700W HAF932 MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 28
I used to have 2 Raptors in Raid 0, and they couldnt even hold a candle to the performance of 1 SSD much less 2 in Raid 0.

If you do a lot of warping/zoning in WoW, it speeds things up greatly. Doesnt help much in speeding up SC2 multiplayer load times.
post #13 of 28
SSD's to me feel a lot faster, i use 1 for my OS, and a SAS 15K Cheetah for games and apps.
nWE3Dia.....
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
980x @4.5 1.4V 3003B331 P6T7 Supercomputer SLI GTX480 Ocz 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 80Gb SSD Raid0+Spinpoint F1 Raid0 Samsung 7 Ultimate 64bit 3x Acer GD245HQbid 120Hz+3D Vision 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G19 Silverstone Strider 1500 Obsidian 800d Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
nWE3Dia.....
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
980x @4.5 1.4V 3003B331 P6T7 Supercomputer SLI GTX480 Ocz 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 80Gb SSD Raid0+Spinpoint F1 Raid0 Samsung 7 Ultimate 64bit 3x Acer GD245HQbid 120Hz+3D Vision 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G19 Silverstone Strider 1500 Obsidian 800d Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 28
For GAMING a SSD isn't going to affect anything other than load times.
If you want to save yourself a few bucks, get a smaller SSD for OS/programs and put your games on a mech drive / RAID 0 array if you really want.
Stugots III
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus V Gene EVGA GTX 780 SC 2x8GB G.Skill 2133MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
250GB 850-EVO | 1TB EZEX | 2TB F4 It BURNS! H100i | NB Pros Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE258Q Filco Majestouch I Seasonic X-560w Fractal Arc Mini R2 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Vengeance MM200 HT Omega eClaro SHURE SRH-840 | Audioengine A2+S8 
  hide details  
Reply
Stugots III
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus V Gene EVGA GTX 780 SC 2x8GB G.Skill 2133MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
250GB 850-EVO | 1TB EZEX | 2TB F4 It BURNS! H100i | NB Pros Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE258Q Filco Majestouch I Seasonic X-560w Fractal Arc Mini R2 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Vengeance MM200 HT Omega eClaro SHURE SRH-840 | Audioengine A2+S8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkalurk View Post
You may want to consider a Western Digital Raptor as the OS drive as well. Newegg has had them on sales recently, the 300gb version for 100 only a week or 2 ago. Not as fast as an ssd, but I've noticed faster load times compared to my 7200 rpm drives that I used to use as main drives.
Actually those models should be considered as bottom of the barrel as they are crap compared to the higher end model 10k drive. Just as your local HDD guru and he'd be able to give you further details
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz EVGA Z77 Stinger MSI Gaming 290x 1175c/1490m 8GB 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512 Mushkin Eco2 SSD  CM Seidon 120v Windows 7 x64 2x 1920x1080 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 750 B2 Cooler Master Elite 130 Corsair M40 USB Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 Sound Card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2620UM Asus K53SV 540m 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSKeyboard
240GB Patriot Blaze  640 HDD Win7x64 Professional Leopold FC660M 
PowerMouseAudio
120w PSU R.A.T. 5 USB Creative Omni Sound Blaster 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz EVGA Z77 Stinger MSI Gaming 290x 1175c/1490m 8GB 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512 Mushkin Eco2 SSD  CM Seidon 120v Windows 7 x64 2x 1920x1080 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 750 B2 Cooler Master Elite 130 Corsair M40 USB Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 Sound Card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2620UM Asus K53SV 540m 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSKeyboard
240GB Patriot Blaze  640 HDD Win7x64 Professional Leopold FC660M 
PowerMouseAudio
120w PSU R.A.T. 5 USB Creative Omni Sound Blaster 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post
Actually those models should be considered as bottom of the barrel as they are crap compared to the higher end model 10k drive. Just as your local HDD guru and he'd be able to give you further details
Define a higher end 10K drive? And my 300gb velociraptor is very fast, no ssd, but fast, especially with ahci enabled. The only thing better would be a bunch of 15K sas drives in a raid 0 or raid 5.
Teh Gam3r
(18 items)
 
Home server
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770 Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Z87 RT Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB G Skill Cheapo DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Solid 3 Seagate Crucial SSD LG Sata DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-U9B Windows 10 Pro Cheap 2560x1440 knock off Samsung T240HD  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 Logitech G502 
Mouse PadAudio
Steel Series QcK+ SteelSeries Siberia Elite Prism 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X4 9500 Asus M3N78 Pro On board Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Velociraptor Samsung Sata Hitatchi Samsung 
Optical DriveCoolingOSPower
Polaroid USB DVD ROM Thermaltake TR2-R1 CentOS6 x86_64 Ultra 600W 
Case
Ultra X-Blaster 
  hide details  
Reply
Teh Gam3r
(18 items)
 
Home server
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770 Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Z87 RT Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB G Skill Cheapo DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Solid 3 Seagate Crucial SSD LG Sata DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-U9B Windows 10 Pro Cheap 2560x1440 knock off Samsung T240HD  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 Logitech G502 
Mouse PadAudio
Steel Series QcK+ SteelSeries Siberia Elite Prism 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X4 9500 Asus M3N78 Pro On board Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Velociraptor Samsung Sata Hitatchi Samsung 
Optical DriveCoolingOSPower
Polaroid USB DVD ROM Thermaltake TR2-R1 CentOS6 x86_64 Ultra 600W 
Case
Ultra X-Blaster 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post
For GAMING a SSD isn't going to affect anything other than load times.
If you want to save yourself a few bucks, get a smaller SSD for OS/programs and put your games on a mech drive / RAID 0 array if you really want.
Try ARMA 2 with a variety of HDD´s and SSD´s.. you WILL see a difference everytime !!

hell, you can even turn up a little the view distance
My System
(13 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsRAM
ASUS M5A97 XFX 7770 Kingston HyperX  
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsRAM
ASUS M5A97 XFX 7770 Kingston HyperX  
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 28
If you're under the belief that Raid will benefit you for load times, you're going to be disappointed. Try to find any review showing Raid load times versus a single drive. This forum is filled with a lot of members that see an HDTach graph showing sequential speeds and thinking Raid is the bomb, but the graphs they're looking at are nearly irrelevant. Grab an SSD and call it a day. You will feel the difference with an SSD, but you're wasting your money with Raid if that's what you're expecting. Raid is nice for tossing around massive video files (sequential read/writes), but that's about it.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
If you're under the belief that Raid will benefit you for load times, you're going to be disappointed. Try to find any review showing Raid load times versus a single drive. This forum is filled with a lot of members that see an HDTach graph showing sequential speeds and thinking Raid is the bomb, but the graphs they're looking at are nearly irrelevant. Grab an SSD and call it a day. You will feel the difference with an SSD, but you're wasting your money with Raid if that's what you're expecting. Raid is nice for tossing around massive video files (sequential read/writes), but that's about it.
i 2nd that. ssd raid = fail. i had . 1 vertex then 2 then 3. all on x58 ich10 setups. all load times longer in raid. 1 ssd is faster.
bf2 greatwall load .
1 74gb raptor 45 sec ~
2X74gb raptor raid -0 30 sec load
1 vertex 6-10 sec load
2X vertex raid -0 or 3vertex was 15+ sec loads.
c300 have not played bf2 cant test. but for bc2 vertex to c300 . c300 mite be faster by a bit but c300 alot more stable then vertex. sending all vertexs in and selling the rma . vertex fails in raid, now drive droped out. then a 2nd one droped.
Get a fast sandforce drives or newer.


So ya best boost in pc. is ssd. allong as a good one.
Dyslexia
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
Dyslexia
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GfhTattoo View Post
i 2nd that. ssd raid = fail. i had . 1 vertex then 2 then 3. all on x58 ich10 setups. all load times longer in raid. 1 ssd is faster.
bf2 greatwall load .
1 74gb raptor 45 sec ~
2X74gb raptor raid -0 30 sec load
1 vertex 6-10 sec load
2X vertex raid -0 or 3vertex was 15+ sec loads.
c300 have not played bf2 cant test. but for bc2 vertex to c300 . c300 mite be faster by a bit but c300 alot more stable then vertex. sending all vertexs in and selling the rma . vertex fails in raid, now drive droped out. then a 2nd one droped.
Get a fast sandforce drives or newer.


So ya best boost in pc. is ssd. allong as a good one.
Hard to read but good info! Thanks a lot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Gaming performance: SSD VS Raid 0 HDDs