Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA GTX 500 Series Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NVIDIA GTX 500 Series Owners Club - Page 193

Poll Results: Was your previous card ATI or NVIDIA?

 
  • 36% (668)
    ATI
  • 63% (1181)
    NVIDIA
1849 Total Votes  
post #1921 of 5998
i've wanted to see wich score with ppu disabled... because this is what i get with my single 580 http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3085366

this is ppu disabled http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3085326
post #1922 of 5998
KK,

so my two 560Ti are scoring 39000 with PPU and 31 000 without...
post #1923 of 5998
Quote:
Originally Posted by covertash View Post
Wow, he actually spent a grand on an HP?! I didn't think he spent that much considering how cheap the boutique computers sell for nowadays. Yeah, I would be pissed too if it didn't work like I wanted it to, lol.

Anyways, seeing how small the case is, it might be a challenge to be able to mount an H50 without further modding to the case itself. I'm sure overall it will help with temps, especially if it's just a regular stock AMD cooler on that CPU. However, the issue with the whole computer shutting down when the GPU reaches a certain temp, while I think it may be the GPU itself, I think the more likely culprit would be the motherboard components overheating. Any kind of exhaust you can provide for that case should help.
It's not the whole computer that's crashing. It's just the GPU. It locks up with that standard VGA driver stopped responding and has recovered or whatever it was.

He already hacked a hole for a 120mm right above the CPU cooler and the only exhaust fan in the case is a 92mm Noctua which I feel moves next to no air. But for my uncle it's Noctua or it's nothing.

He's also basically having the GPU and PSU duke it out for airflow as both fans are facing each other. Would cutting another hole and adding a fan on the side panel above the GPU and PSU help the cause? So that they're both intaking cold air? Or will the lack of case exhaust still hurt the cause?

I was thinking of reversing airflow on the side panel fan to make it an exhaust to take out the hot CPU air but wouldn't that cause problems for the top down AMD cooler? Since it will fight the side fan for air too?

I really want them to get a new god damn case. Too much stress with this thing.
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1924 of 5998
Quote:
Originally Posted by delavan View Post
KK,

so my two 560Ti are scoring 39000 with PPU and 31 000 without...
stock speed right?
post #1925 of 5998
Well, those cards are factory OCed to 880MHz Core and 2100MHz Memory.
his is how I test...I don't think there is a need to OC those...not yet anyway!
post #1926 of 5998
ok....
post #1927 of 5998
post #1928 of 5998
Quote:
Originally Posted by covertash View Post
Wow, he actually spent a grand on an HP?! I didn't think he spent that much considering how cheap the boutique computers sell for nowadays. Yeah, I would be pissed too if it didn't work like I wanted it to, lol.

Anyways, seeing how small the case is, it might be a challenge to be able to mount an H50 without further modding to the case itself. I'm sure overall it will help with temps, especially if it's just a regular stock AMD cooler on that CPU. However, the issue with the whole computer shutting down when the GPU reaches a certain temp, while I think it may be the GPU itself, I think the more likely culprit would be the motherboard components overheating. Any kind of exhaust you can provide for that case should help.
Well we ended up switching the side panel fan from intake to exhaust and temps seemed to have gotten better.

That's as much as we can do for now. He's thinking about hacking another hole to make an intake directly feeding the video card and power supply. Don't know how well that will work though.
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1929 of 5998
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89 View Post
It's not the whole computer that's crashing. It's just the GPU. It locks up with that standard VGA driver stopped responding and has recovered or whatever it was.

He already hacked a hole for a 120mm right above the CPU cooler and the only exhaust fan in the case is a 92mm Noctua which I feel moves next to no air. But for my uncle it's Noctua or it's nothing.

He's also basically having the GPU and PSU duke it out for airflow as both fans are facing each other. Would cutting another hole and adding a fan on the side panel above the GPU and PSU help the cause? So that they're both intaking cold air? Or will the lack of case exhaust still hurt the cause?

I was thinking of reversing airflow on the side panel fan to make it an exhaust to take out the hot CPU air but wouldn't that cause problems for the top down AMD cooler? Since it will fight the side fan for air too?

I really want them to get a new god damn case. Too much stress with this thing.
Oh I see. I misread it as I thought it was full-on BSOD's.

It seems like there are a lot of problems with airflow and directionality. It seems to be a combination of not enough intake and not enough exhaust at the same time. Hacking another hole may actually cause more problems than it solves. Since the stock CPU cooler is a top-down cooler and the fact that the GTX 460 may have air rising out of the sides of the cards, for a temporary solution, I would put a higher emphasis on exhaust as that may be the key here to make things more manageable.

One question though: aside from the modded side intake, is there also a front intake as well?

EDIT: I just saw your response and it seems like I was right about the exhaust, lol. I think the best thing you can do right now is to take a picture of how the actual case looks inside and out, with and without the hacked side panel on.
Edited by covert ash - 4/17/11 at 4:40pm
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1930 of 5998
Im in
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/uv6ev/





Edited by PROBN4LYFE - 4/17/11 at 4:43pm
PRONE
(19 items)
 
Cap't Crunch
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k @ 5Ghz Msi X79A-GD45 Gigabyte Radeon 7950 Patriot Sector 7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
2xCorsair Force Series 3 Raid-0 LG DVDR/W Custom Water Loop Swiftech Apogee Drive II waterblock/pump 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Swiftech MCRES-Micro Rev 2 Larkooler 240mm Rad server 2008 RC2 HP 2207HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
HP Classic wireless PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W High P... NZXT Phantom...again lol HP Classic wireless 
Mouse PadAudioOther
MicroCenter Onboard TBA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Maximus V Extreme Radeon 6950HD Avexir 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force 3 LG DVD RW Corsair H100i WIndowd 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2159M Logitech CX750M Cosair Carbide 540AIR 
MouseMouse Pad
logitech logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
PRONE
(19 items)
 
Cap't Crunch
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k @ 5Ghz Msi X79A-GD45 Gigabyte Radeon 7950 Patriot Sector 7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
2xCorsair Force Series 3 Raid-0 LG DVDR/W Custom Water Loop Swiftech Apogee Drive II waterblock/pump 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Swiftech MCRES-Micro Rev 2 Larkooler 240mm Rad server 2008 RC2 HP 2207HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
HP Classic wireless PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W High P... NZXT Phantom...again lol HP Classic wireless 
Mouse PadAudioOther
MicroCenter Onboard TBA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Maximus V Extreme Radeon 6950HD Avexir 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force 3 LG DVD RW Corsair H100i WIndowd 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2159M Logitech CX750M Cosair Carbide 540AIR 
MouseMouse Pad
logitech logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA GTX 500 Series Owners Club