Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Supposedly zalman CNPS 9900 MAX beats d14
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Supposedly zalman CNPS 9900 MAX beats d14 - Page 3

post #21 of 37
Zalman coolers are fugly. IMHO.

I'd take an NH-D14 over that piece any day. At least u can mount 3 fans to my D14.
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinhang View Post
When will you ever run into situation where there is 200w load placed? Even when i tested my i7 970 at 4.4ghz with HT it does not exceed 200w under load.

If you plan to go to 5.0, then isn't it worth while to consider a watercooling for 24/7 use? I'm going ot pick up a D14 from infonec (on sale for 74.99) and see if i can find a difference. Will be testing all 4 coolers at 4.4ghz w/ HT in my NZXT phantom.
You sure you have your numbers right?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu..._11.html#sect0

This article shows the i7 950 having 127w greater heat load at 4.2 Ghz. 127 + 130 = roughly 260 watts.

Now, you could be lucky of course, and get one of those golden chips that do 4.4 with 1.2V. But I bet the vast majority of i7s and Phenoms X6s will hit 200w at 4+ Ghz.

At lower loads or idle, quite a few single towers can beat big dual towers.
Oldie
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.7 GHz P67A-UD4 FirePro V4800 @ 840 MHz Patriot Viper Extreme 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
OCZ Solid 3 120G NH-D14 Benq M2700HD Antec TruePower 
CaseAudio
HAF 932 Z-5500 
  hide details  
Reply
Oldie
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.7 GHz P67A-UD4 FirePro V4800 @ 840 MHz Patriot Viper Extreme 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
OCZ Solid 3 120G NH-D14 Benq M2700HD Antec TruePower 
CaseAudio
HAF 932 Z-5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinhang View Post
When will you ever run into situation where there is 200w load placed? Even when i tested my i7 970 at 4.4ghz with HT it does not exceed 200w under load.

If you plan to go to 5.0, then isn't it worth while to consider a watercooling for 24/7 use? I'm going ot pick up a D14 from infonec (on sale for 74.99) and see if i can find a difference. Will be testing all 4 coolers at 4.4ghz w/ HT in my NZXT phantom.
I find this very hard to believe. An i7 is rated at 130W and overclocking increases that by quite a bit. From what I calculated a 4GHz i7 at 1.3V would draw 255W.

Frostytech's method doesn't come anywhere close to it. Another disadvantage of this method is that they don't take into account other factors such as ease of installation, clearance and general ease of use. Why have an idealistic simulation when it doesn't replicate real world results
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 ASUS Rampage III Extreme XFX HD5870 OCZ Platinum DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F1 320gb Win 7 Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W Lian Li B25B Razer Diamondback 3g Razer Goliathus control 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 ASUS Rampage III Extreme XFX HD5870 OCZ Platinum DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F1 320gb Win 7 Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W Lian Li B25B Razer Diamondback 3g Razer Goliathus control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios1234 View Post
I find this very hard to believe. An i7 is rated at 130W and overclocking increases that by quite a bit. From what I calculated a 4GHz i7 at 1.3V would draw 255W.
130W is the i7's theoretical max, in the real world, whole systems (even overclocked) often draw less than 255W.
check out this thread
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...does-your.html
The 150W test done on one of the reviews is near the upper end for most overclocked i5/i7's (within reason). If you're going much beyond that, you may have your voltages set too high or you're starting to hit the thermal wall.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C-60 Acer ao722 6290 Corsair DDR3 SDRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Corsair Force 3 SSD Windows 7 Premium 64bit 11.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal™ LCD display (1... Cyborg RAT5 
Audio
Conexant 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 G31M-ES2L Radeon HD 4670 G.Skill DDR2 (2x2GB) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
several Win Vista Pro 32bit Viewsonic 19" btc-6100 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec 650 Antec 300 Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C-60 Acer ao722 6290 Corsair DDR3 SDRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Corsair Force 3 SSD Windows 7 Premium 64bit 11.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal™ LCD display (1... Cyborg RAT5 
Audio
Conexant 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 G31M-ES2L Radeon HD 4670 G.Skill DDR2 (2x2GB) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
several Win Vista Pro 32bit Viewsonic 19" btc-6100 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec 650 Antec 300 Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89 View Post
Zalman coolers are fugly. IMHO.

I'd take an NH-D14 over that piece any day. At least u can mount 3 fans to my D14.
Really? I kinda like the look of Zalman coolers. I personally think Zalman coolers are overpriced but I found my Zalman cooler really cheap so I got one. It works really well and I'm happy I got it. The heatpipes though are thinner than normal, but it works!
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1tr0 View Post
130W is the i7's theoretical max, in the real world, whole systems (even overclocked) often draw less than 255W.
check out this thread
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...does-your.html
The 150W test done on one of the reviews is near the upper end for most overclocked i5/i7's (within reason). If you're going much beyond that, you may have your voltages set too high or you're starting to hit the thermal wall.
Thanks for the link.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 ASUS Rampage III Extreme XFX HD5870 OCZ Platinum DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F1 320gb Win 7 Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W Lian Li B25B Razer Diamondback 3g Razer Goliathus control 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 ASUS Rampage III Extreme XFX HD5870 OCZ Platinum DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F1 320gb Win 7 Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W Lian Li B25B Razer Diamondback 3g Razer Goliathus control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicw View Post
You sure you have your numbers right?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu..._11.html#sect0

This article shows the i7 950 having 127w greater heat load at 4.2 Ghz. 127 + 130 = roughly 260 watts.

Now, you could be lucky of course, and get one of those golden chips that do 4.4 with 1.2V. But I bet the vast majority of i7s and Phenoms X6s will hit 200w at 4+ Ghz.

At lower loads or idle, quite a few single towers can beat big dual towers.
The graph link you provided shows SYSTEM CONSUMPTION. If a system consumption is only 317 then i doubt the CPU is over 200.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 P6X58D Premium Evga GTX480 SCC Patriot V2 Sector 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel SSD 160Gb Windows 7 Pro 64bit Sony Bravia 46' Seasonic M12D 850W 
Case
NXZT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 P6X58D Premium Evga GTX480 SCC Patriot V2 Sector 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel SSD 160Gb Windows 7 Pro 64bit Sony Bravia 46' Seasonic M12D 850W 
Case
NXZT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 37
What would the quietest option be though? SA/D14? At 4+ oc's of course.
Money Sink
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @4GHZ Asus P6X58D EVGA GTX680 6GB DDR3 @1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair 40GB SSDx2 RAID0 NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit Dell U3011 & Asus VW266H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco MJ2 104 Reds Corsair 1000W Silverstone FT02w Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor White 
  hide details  
Reply
Money Sink
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @4GHZ Asus P6X58D EVGA GTX680 6GB DDR3 @1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair 40GB SSDx2 RAID0 NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit Dell U3011 & Asus VW266H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco MJ2 104 Reds Corsair 1000W Silverstone FT02w Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor White 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 37
I run both.. The SA is hands down quieter. We know it's not possible for the Nh-d14 to be silent, but those who think the Noctua is silent.... well the SA is quieter than that silent.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @4.4Ghz 24/7,HT On Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 6950 Flash 925/1500 Corsair 12GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
Crucial C-300 SSD W7 64bit Corsair AX750 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @4.4Ghz 24/7,HT On Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 6950 Flash 925/1500 Corsair 12GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
Crucial C-300 SSD W7 64bit Corsair AX750 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 37
Where do people get the idea that the 9900max is loud?? I cannot hear mine at all, even with 1500rpm 140mm fans in the background.
BULLDOZER!!!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8120FX Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 2ea MSI r9-270x 16gb G-Skill Snipers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 3x1tb greens, 1x1tb black Adata S599 120gb LG DVDR/RW, LG Blueray CM V8 Win7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG2762D Microsoft Antec TPN-750 CM HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
Microsoft X5 Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
BULLDOZER!!!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8120FX Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 2ea MSI r9-270x 16gb G-Skill Snipers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 3x1tb greens, 1x1tb black Adata S599 120gb LG DVDR/RW, LG Blueray CM V8 Win7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG2762D Microsoft Antec TPN-750 CM HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
Microsoft X5 Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Supposedly zalman CNPS 9900 MAX beats d14