Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Planning on my first water cooler. Need help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Planning on my first water cooler. Need help.

post #1 of 65
Thread Starter 
So after Christmas i plan on buying a water cooling system whether its prebuilt or custom. I need your opinion on if it should be a Rasa 750 RX240 kit or better (ex: Rs360 or RX360) a Swiftech H20 220 Ultima XT kit, or a custom loop. If custom please explain what parts I should pick and why. I plan on cooling CPU only right now with the possibility of adding GPU once I get a new one. Currently running an A70 my temps would reach 85C at 4.1GHz with 1.35v.

Also this will be going in a NZXT Phantom case so if you can chose one based on what will fit that would be great! Right now i'm leaning towards the Rasa kit due to price and would just assume build a kit before i buy the swiftech kit..

Any help please?!
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 65
If price is a issue, then the RASA kit will be more than fine. Not to mention it will handle a CPU and GPU loop. But when you want to expand more than that, it seems the pump will be the limiting factor. The H20 220 kit is a bit pricey but you could also expand off of that later on.

I don't know about the fitment in your case, but if you need. It could always be piggybacked onto the back of your case.
post #3 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
If price is a issue, then the RASA kit will be more than fine. Not to mention it will handle a CPU and GPU loop. But when you want to expand more than that, it seems the pump will be the limiting factor. The H20 220 kit is a bit pricey but you could also expand off of that later on.

I don't know about the fitment in your case, but if you need. It could always be piggybacked onto the back of your case.
I was thinking that for $300 i could build a better system than i could buying one. I was really also thinking that $300 would be a good price limit.
I'm really wanting something that can fit in the case. I've heard that with some modding that a 360 mm rad will fit in the case. I kinda don't want to do any modding..

What would you recommend as far as a pump. I've been told to watch for flow rate and head but as this is my first system i don't really know what either of those means and what if affects. I have decided that i'm going to just used distilled water and a coil kit though..
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 65
You possibly could. I'm not too experienced in making your own WC'ing setup. I'm sure someone will come along and answer that for you. But you could also go and take a look throughout this sub-forum and check what other people have been choosing to maybe get a look at a custom loop.

I happened to be sent a 360rad kit instead of the 240rad kit. I would have kept it. But even mounting it on the back of my case, it would have been huge. I have no room inside my case for any kind or rad.

The pump that comes with the Rasa kit is a good pump, but after adding somethings, it could start to be your bottleneck. I'm not too sure what "head" is either even though it was briefly explained to me. I could not tell you.

Flow Rate is how much water the pump can push out in a hour. The Rasa kit can push ~750lph. (Liters per Hour.)
post #5 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
You possibly could. I'm not too experienced in making your own WC'ing setup. I'm sure someone will come along and answer that for you. But you could also go and take a look throughout this sub-forum and check what other people have been choosing to maybe get a look at a custom loop.

I happened to be sent a 360rad kit instead of the 240rad kit. I would have kept it. But even mounting it on the back of my case, it would have been huge. I have no room inside my case for any kind or rad.

The pump that comes with the Rasa kit is a good pump, but after adding somethings, it could start to be your bottleneck. I'm not too sure what "head" is either even though it was briefly explained to me. I could not tell you.

Flow Rate is how much water the pump can push out in a hour. The Rasa kit can push ~750lph. (Liters per Hour.)
Yeah i've been hearing things about the Rasa pump going bad over about a year or less which is why i'm trying to get more opinions..

I really don't wanna mount it on the outside just because it has to fit under my desk.. I really don't think i would add more than 1 GPU to it but you never know..
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dembo1305 View Post
Yeah i've been hearing things about the Rasa pump going bad over about a year or less which is why i'm trying to get more opinions..

I really don't wanna mount it on the outside just because it has to fit under my desk.. I really don't think i would add more than 1 GPU to it but you never know..
Don't remember hearing that anywhere. I know that maybe 2 people had a bad pump. One was noisey and one had a crack in it. But they contacted XSPC and they replaced it right away. That's the only negatives I have heard about.

I'm sure the 240 rad will fit if you had said that it took a little bit of modding to get the 360 rad to work. But I say it's a great beginners kit. Then expand later on when you start adding more things to your rig. But that's me.
post #7 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
Don't remember hearing that anywhere. I know that maybe 2 people had a bad pump. One was noisey and one had a crack in it. But they contacted XSPC and they replaced it right away. That's the only negatives I have heard about.

I'm sure the 240 rad will fit if you had said that it took a little bit of modding to get the 360 rad to work. But I say it's a great beginners kit. Then expand later on when you start adding more things to your rig. But that's me.
Thats more or less why i wanted to start with a kit.. I don't really know much about it and such so i kinda wanted some parts that i knew would work so that i could see what kind of space i have in there.. The phantom is a roomy case but i don't know much about mounting radiators..
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 65
Here is a picture of a 240 rad inside the NZXT Phantom.

http://www.overclock.net/computer-ca...l#post11610004

Looks like it will work, but then again that rad doesn't have fans on it and also it looks like it's not as thick as the RS240.
post #9 of 65
A good custom loop CPU setup can be had for as little as $250. Here is what I would get:

XSPC Rasa
MCP355 Pump
XSPC Acrylic Reservoir top
Switch MCR320 Radiator
1/2 Barbed Fittings
7/16 ID 5/8 OD Tubing
Silver Kill coil
Labor of Love
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 5.0 GHz/1.42v ASUS P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 670 OC 20 GB/1600/7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
120GB Vertex SSD Western Digital 1TB None! Ubuntu 12.04/Win8/OSX 10.8.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 1440p X-Star OCN Mechanical - MX Browns Seasonic X-560 800D w/RX480 top mounted 
Mouse
Logitech USB Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
Labor of Love
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 5.0 GHz/1.42v ASUS P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 670 OC 20 GB/1600/7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
120GB Vertex SSD Western Digital 1TB None! Ubuntu 12.04/Win8/OSX 10.8.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 1440p X-Star OCN Mechanical - MX Browns Seasonic X-560 800D w/RX480 top mounted 
Mouse
Logitech USB Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
A good custom loop CPU setup can be had for as little as $250. Here is what I would get:

XSPC Rasa
MCP355 Pump
XSPC Acrylic Reservoir top
Switch MCR320 Radiator
1/2 Barbed Fittings
7/16 ID 5/8 OD Tubing
Silver Kill coil
When you say rasa you're referring to the cpu block right?
And can your explain just a little bit about barbed fittings?
How does 1/2 inch fittings fit 7/16 or 5/8 tubing and how big does it need to be to fit in the rad and such?
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally an i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Radeon HD 6950 8GB Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128GB SSD 6GBs LG Windows 7 64-bit Apple 24" Cinema Display 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower 650W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Planning on my first water cooler. Need help.