Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Noob Internet Connection Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Noob Internet Connection Question

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Well my parents router and modem are connected to their PC at the office at the other end of the house. I know I could use a PCI wireless card or a USB wifi adapter, but I know that gaming online would be quite slow. Would it be possible for me to connect a separate wireless router to my pc through the same network as my parents? Also, what router do you think I should get? Budget is around $30-$50ish.
Faster than Light
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition @ 4000MHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970 @ 950/1450 6GB G.Skill PI CAS6 @ 1600MHz 6-8-6-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200RPM LITE-ON 24x DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Apple iMac 27" E-IPS LED 2560x1440 
PowerCase
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Faster than Light
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition @ 4000MHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970 @ 950/1450 6GB G.Skill PI CAS6 @ 1600MHz 6-8-6-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200RPM LITE-ON 24x DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Apple iMac 27" E-IPS LED 2560x1440 
PowerCase
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 14
Yes. It's called a Wireless Bridge.
I have a main AP in my garage and my Linksys flashed with DD-WRT in my room.

You could pick up a Linksys WRT54GL on Newegg for I think 35$.
It's quite simple really. But do realize your connection is cut in half because the router has to both send and receive packs to/from the main AP.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
Yes. It's called a Wireless Bridge.
I have a main AP in my garage and my Linksys flashed with DD-WRT in my room.

You could pick up a Linksys WRT54GL on Newegg for I think 35$.
It's quite simple really. But do realize your connection is cut in half because the router has to both send and receive packs to/from the main AP.
By cut in half do you mean speed? Also, all I would need to buy is the router, not another modem, right? Sorry, i don't know too much about networking
Faster than Light
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition @ 4000MHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970 @ 950/1450 6GB G.Skill PI CAS6 @ 1600MHz 6-8-6-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200RPM LITE-ON 24x DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Apple iMac 27" E-IPS LED 2560x1440 
PowerCase
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Faster than Light
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition @ 4000MHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970 @ 950/1450 6GB G.Skill PI CAS6 @ 1600MHz 6-8-6-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200RPM LITE-ON 24x DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Apple iMac 27" E-IPS LED 2560x1440 
PowerCase
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 14
You only need one modem and that's the modem that's hooked up to the main AP. And to be honest, the whole 'cut in half' thing. It's not as bad as it sounds as long as you have yourself a good connection. It's would be alright for gaming.

All you need to do is pick yourself up another wireless router. Though I'm not sure if the stock Linksys firmware is capable of bridging. I'm not too sure since I'm using a 3rd party firmware.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
You only need one modem and that's the modem that's hooked up to the main AP. And to be honest, the whole 'cut in half' thing. It's not as bad as it sounds as long as you have yourself a good connection. It's would be alright for gaming.

All you need to do is pick yourself up another wireless router. Though I'm not sure if the stock Linksys firmware is capable of bridging. I'm not too sure since I'm using a 3rd party firmware.
Oh, okay. Out of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...25%20-%20%2450

Which one would support bridging and would be a trustworthy router? Thanks for your help
Faster than Light
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition @ 4000MHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970 @ 950/1450 6GB G.Skill PI CAS6 @ 1600MHz 6-8-6-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200RPM LITE-ON 24x DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Apple iMac 27" E-IPS LED 2560x1440 
PowerCase
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Faster than Light
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition @ 4000MHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970 @ 950/1450 6GB G.Skill PI CAS6 @ 1600MHz 6-8-6-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200RPM LITE-ON 24x DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Apple iMac 27" E-IPS LED 2560x1440 
PowerCase
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 14
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124190

Linksys WRT54GL.

I have the WRT54GS version.
The only difference is the WRT54GL was made to support 3rd Party Firmware.
Mine has been running OC'd & higher TX Power to boost signal distance for hmm... 4-5 years now? Still going strong. It's quite a reliable router.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124190

Linksys WRT54GL.

I have the WRT54GS version.
The only difference is the WRT54GL was made to support 3rd Party Firmware.
Mine has been running OC'd & higher TX Power to boost signal distance for hmm... 4-5 years now? Still going strong. It's quite a reliable router.
Do I need to download this custom firmware separately?
Faster than Light
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition @ 4000MHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970 @ 950/1450 6GB G.Skill PI CAS6 @ 1600MHz 6-8-6-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200RPM LITE-ON 24x DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Apple iMac 27" E-IPS LED 2560x1440 
PowerCase
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Faster than Light
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition @ 4000MHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970 @ 950/1450 6GB G.Skill PI CAS6 @ 1600MHz 6-8-6-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200RPM LITE-ON 24x DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Apple iMac 27" E-IPS LED 2560x1440 
PowerCase
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 14
I'm not sure if you will need it. I can't remember if there is a way to bridge with the stock firmware. If not then a flash to DD-WRT will most certainly get you up and running.

Here is the link about DD-WRT on the 54GL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GL
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
I'm not sure if you will need it. I can't remember if there is a way to bridge with the stock firmware. If not then a flash to DD-WRT will most certainly get you up and running.

Here is the link about DD-WRT on the 54GL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GL
A lot of results on google are saying I need DD-WRT on my router. Is this basically what I need to do? http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...reless-bridge/
Faster than Light
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition @ 4000MHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970 @ 950/1450 6GB G.Skill PI CAS6 @ 1600MHz 6-8-6-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200RPM LITE-ON 24x DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Apple iMac 27" E-IPS LED 2560x1440 
PowerCase
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Faster than Light
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition @ 4000MHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970 @ 950/1450 6GB G.Skill PI CAS6 @ 1600MHz 6-8-6-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200RPM LITE-ON 24x DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Apple iMac 27" E-IPS LED 2560x1440 
PowerCase
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 14
It's been a while since I've had stock firmware on my Linksys, so I can't remember the settings. But you might just need DD-WRT.

Make sure you follow the steps and read/re-read everything on the page I linked. I wouldn't want you dishing out money and then bricking your router. If you follow the instructions correctly, I doubt that will happen. And another thing I have to stress, when you are flashing the router. Please. Please make sure you're connected via Ethernet and NOT WiFi. That's if you choose to go this route.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Noob Internet Connection Question