Originally Posted by therock003
Just installed win & on my new System Yesterday. Today i was installing some drivers and run some SSD benchmarks. At last i just completed some windows updates and updated to latest mobo bios with Live Update with @BIOS. When i restarted to complete windows and BIOS update, i now come up with the "Missing operating system" error after POST.
Any idea? Was the BIOS upgrade so harsh? Do i have to reinstall windows again?
The last time this happened to me, I was able to fix it using "bootrec /FixMBR" along with "fixboot /FixBoot" (but these aren't case-sensitive). Here's how to do it:
- Boot from the Windows 7 DVD
- When you see this, click "Next"
- On the next prompt, click "Repair your computer" (so, don't click "Install now")
- You'll see a little window appear named "System Recovery Options" which will immediately search for Windows installations
- When it finishes, you will see a dialog box. Select "Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows. Select an operating system to repair." and then click Next.
- Click "Command Prompt"
- Once in the command prompt, type bootrec /fixmbr, press Enter, and then type bootrec /fixboot and press Enter again.
- After this, type Exit and press Enter
- Click the Restart button
If this doesn't fix it, then I recommend repeating the above, except this time only use bootrec /rebuildBCD
instead of the other two commands because it would just be redundant to issue those commands again. Then, of course, type Exit, press Enter, click Restart.
If it's still not fixed after that, then I admit that I wouldn't know what else to try. Although, I suppose you can also try bootrec /ScanOS
, but I wouldn't know what to do with the results. And again, none of these commands are case-sensitive.Edited by TwoCables - 12/19/10 at 4:49pm