Originally Posted by Liranan
The Cloud won't possible be able to replace desktop PC's. Not even the Internet in Korea and Japan is fast enough (latency and bandwidth) to be able to transfer data fast enough to be able to provide a smooth working environment. Northern America and Europe's connections are so horrid it'd be ridiculous to even imagine the cloud ever going anywhere but nowhere, especially with ISP's throttling and capping Internet. But ISP's want the cloud to become standard and mainstream, they can then force you to sell your entire lineage into slavery just so you can play a game you will literally have to rent.
Do I even need to mention that the Western world is roughly only 20% of the world, and that the rest of the 80% just don't care about the cloud? If Windows dies and Linux finally take over everyone here will just as easily switch over, without caring and Linux will just get the support it needs. Hopefully, a new OS will be made that is as easy to use as Windows but open source.
So, in short, the Cloud is still born and it's not odd that Linux rules, as it was made for servers and not desktop machines, or the average user.
Yes, I agree with the points about bandwidth and speed - since these are very important factors. But I don't see that it is stillborn. For instance, the current connection that most people have is insufficient for YouTube video, and the benchmark seems to be "it's good enough if it doesn't stutter and stall every two seconds" rather than "I can actually see a clear picture that hasn't been bit blittered beyond all belief".
The places I see Cloud Computing making inroads are: Corporates, that have invested in proper, modern networking, with a fiber optic backbone and managed switches, for running applications off of a Citrix server (or equivalent); and casual users, that have only infrequent use of light weight applications for which the purchase of a full package would be cost prohibitive. I don't see it as a solution for people that are using heavy tasks, or use lightwieght tasks frequently, or for people that can't obtain sufficient bandwidth (both in a high enough cap and without undue throttling).
Corporations are already working towards the first point, large corporations are running solutions like Citrix and have thin clients - all to reduce the cost of IT, and to impose control on the corporate machines.
However, our infrastructure, and the predatory nature of our ISPs, will ensure that places like Korea, Japan, and Rwanda will overhaul us because they make affordable, high speed access important as the next stage of "development" - while good old Canada and the USA flounder in the Age of Rust, waiting for that next "get rich quick" scheme - schemes that fails as bad as GM did after the Auto industry abused itself for thirty years and handed that business over to the Japanese and Koreans...