• Pretty good

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Awesome

Votes: 2 5.3%

Rate my rig?

1K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Hokies83 
#1 ·
Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual core E5300 @ 3.2Ghz 2MB L2 Cache (Stock cooling)
RAM: 4GB Micron DDR2-800Mhz
GFX: XFX Radeon HD4650 1GB PCI-E
MBO: Asus P5KPL/1600
CHP: Intel Bearlake G31
LAN: Realtek RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet
SND: C-Media 8738 MX Sound card (red)
PSU: ACE 520w ATX 24 pin power supply
HDD: Seagate ST3250820AS 500GB & 250GB/ Samsung SP1614C 160GB
DVD: Uknown DVD±RW/ Samsung SD-616E DVD-ROM
OPS: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2
SCR: Fujitsu Siemens A17-2 @ 1680x1050 60Hz
MCR: Generic Internal USB CF/MS/SD/SM Card reader + 1 USB 2.0 port
KYB: Dell RT7D50
MSE: Microsoft Wireless Mouse 3000 (white and black)
CTR: Microsoft Xbox 360 wired controller

Pictures:
p1010066me.jpg

p1010070g.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
Your rig is Simple, inexpensive, get's the job done,

You seem happy with it!.

so i like it!!

Pretty nice cable management!. you did what you could, and in the end is all that matter's.

You built it with your own hand'. your own creation.

Enjoy a custom pc. This is why i love Custom computer's. it is a passion for me.

#6 ·
I can give you 4 on your scale, because of a few main points:
XFX 4650 1Gb is money-waster
You have a white case
smile.gif
I don't like them, it's personal
biggrin.gif

You have stock cooling on Intel CPU, which I guess won't let you play with the freq much
It's DDR2 sys
XP
frown.gif

On the good end-
Way enough RAM
smile.gif

Nice CPU with relatively high freq
Asus mobo- I'm a fan
smile.gif

Enough power in the PSU

#7 ·
I just saw the poll, but my opinion doesn't fit anywhere among the answers
frown.gif

I think it's way better than "good for basic things" cause you got a mid-range HD4xxx GPU, capable of running some decent games, lots of RAM, fast CPU.
On the other hand, I don't think it's "pretty good" because it's outdated and probably can't be upgraded when the need hits- you'll have to get a whole new rig if you need an upgrade. +The GPU bothers me
smile.gif

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850;11729152
I just saw the poll, but my opinion doesn't fit anywhere among the answers
frown.gif

I think it's way better than "good for basic things" cause you got a mid-range HD4xxx GPU, capable of running some decent games, lots of RAM, fast CPU.
On the other hand, I don't think it's "pretty good" because it's outdated and probably can't be upgraded when the need hits- you'll have to get a whole new rig if you need an upgrade. +The GPU bothers me
smile.gif
Pretty good?
When I 1st had this machine I had these specs:
1GB DDR2-533 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 7300GS
just a single 160GB HDD
Windows XP 32bit
15" CRT monitor at 1152x864.
also a 350w ADT PSU (which was rubbish)
CD-RW

So I have put some money into it.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockut83;11729227
It's actually not bad for being a basic build but it's definitely on the old side. I gave it the "good for basic things" vote
tongue.gif
even though I can play GTA IV @ 1280x1024 medium settings
confused.gif
sad-smiley-002.gif

#11 ·
I give you a '6'(case) simple reson is white case little 'out dated' anyway the rest '10' because
1. Ilove Windows XP
2. I also a P Dual Core t4400 2.2GHz
3. your Graphics Card, pretty awsome for games like GTA iV etc etc..
4. RAM, i have DDr2 RAM 4GB quite fast especially has you have XP x64

yeh mate like others say above pretty good for basic computing:)

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrispe95;11729228
Pretty good?
When I 1st had this machine I had these specs:
1GB DDR2-533 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 7300GS
just a single 160GB HDD
Windows XP 32bit
15" CRT monitor at 1152x864.
also a 350w ADT PSU (which was rubbish)
CD-RW

So I have put some money into it.
rolleyes.gif

even though I can play GTA IV @ 1280x1024 medium settings
confused.gif
sad-smiley-002.gif
*sorry for long post
frown.gif
didn't realize until i finieshed it
biggrin.gif

Yes, it is good. Somewhat. I don't mean to bash, I'm trying to be as much of a realist as possible. I don't know much of Intel, so I think the CPU is medicore good. Meaning "will do just fine"
smile.gif
. On the other hand the RAM is futureless, the GPU too. Sorry to say it that straight, the RAM is Very very good for a DDR2 sys. Best you can get (I haven't yet seen the timings, but I guess since you've invested in it that it's good
smile.gif
). The 4650 1G however wasn't good even when it first came out. Better than the 7300, of course. But a bad investment.
SO on a 10 scale,
I'd give you 5 on the mobo
+It's Asus, and has dual channel RAM
-It's DDR2
8 on the RAM
+It's 800
-It's DDR2
10 on the CPU
+I guess it gives as much as the other components let it
And 3 on the GPU
+Good for some games
-Probably costed more than its real value

My point is- you can buy HD6950 for that sys, but you can't ever utilize its power.
You can also buy 8GB of RAM, but can't utilize those too.
That's why I'm being hard on it. I used a similar sys about 2 months ago, and I know how nice they are
smile.gif
Especially when you build them yourself
wink.gif

But among the other systems here on forum, this doesn't stand out much.

After all you're asking for a rate, right?
smile.gif
I *can* tell you this is the best rig in the world OMG ever, but we both know that's not true.
It's always better if you have an accurate rating on all your components, so you know how to configure the rig, where to push it, what ot leave-what to change
smile.gif
In order to get all possible juice from it
smile.gif
That's the aim of this forum too
smile.gif
So cheer up and use the info to make some mods
wink.gif
(To clarify- I do *not* advise you to spend any more money on this rig)

EDIT: Still, I believe it's better than "good for basic things"
wink.gif
You can do way more than basic with it

#13 ·
Windows XP is still good. I read somewhere hardcore gamers and enthusiasts still like XP. I still use it to run some classic games like Falcon 4.0 Allied Force. Some would call me a hardcore gamer. Will be dual booting with Windows 7 64-bit when required. ie a good game which only runs on Win7, haven't seen one yet. I think you need a bigger screen and CPU M/B RAM video card but unless you're a gamer and a new game doesn't run well it's fine.

#14 ·
Pretty basic rig..

I have secondary rig: E6750 @ 3.3GHz , P5KPL-VM G31, 2x1GB 800MHz Apacer @ 986MHz and GF8600GT @ 720-1700-1600 and it`s still kickin good but GPU bottlenecked
biggrin.gif

But becouse you`re a 15 year old kid on the buget and you`ve built it yourself I`m gonna give you the best rating..
thumb.gif

CHEERS..

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850;11729379
*sorry for long post
frown.gif
didn't realize until i finieshed it
biggrin.gif

Yes, it is good. Somewhat. I don't mean to bash, I'm trying to be as much of a realist as possible. I don't know much of Intel, so I think the CPU is medicore good. Meaning "will do just fine"
smile.gif
. On the other hand the RAM is futureless, the GPU too. Sorry to say it that straight, the RAM is Very very good for a DDR2 sys. Best you can get (I haven't yet seen the timings, but I guess since you've invested in it that it's good
smile.gif
). The 4650 1G however wasn't good even when it first came out. Better than the 7300, of course. But a bad investment.
SO on a 10 scale,
I'd give you 5 on the mobo
+It's Asus, and has dual channel RAM
-It's DDR2
8 on the RAM
+It's 800
-It's DDR2
10 on the CPU
+I guess it gives as much as the other components let it
And 3 on the GPU
+Good for some games
-Probably costed more than its real value

My point is- you can buy HD6950 for that sys, but you can't ever utilize its power.
You can also buy 8GB of RAM, but can't utilize those too.
That's why I'm being hard on it. I used a similar sys about 2 months ago, and I know how nice they are
smile.gif
Especially when you build them yourself
wink.gif

But among the other systems here on forum, this doesn't stand out much.

After all you're asking for a rate, right?
smile.gif
I *can* tell you this is the best rig in the world OMG ever, but we both know that's not true.
It's always better if you have an accurate rating on all your components, so you know how to configure the rig, where to push it, what ot leave-what to change
smile.gif
In order to get all possible juice from it
smile.gif
That's the aim of this forum too
smile.gif
So cheer up and use the info to make some mods
wink.gif
(To clarify- I do *not* advise you to spend any more money on this rig)

EDIT: Still, I believe it's better than "good for basic things"
wink.gif
You can do way more than basic with it
The GPU card cost me £40 and the RAM £70, also the HDD's which were £85
I got the LCD for free (from school
tongue.gif
) I will not spend any more money on this rig and hopefully I will get some more money and build a better rig within 2years. I rarely get any money at all, unless it is my birthday or christmas, Then I may get £50-£150, which couldnt buy anything decent.
Hopefully my next system will be atleast a Q6600 OC'd 3.6ghz with 6-8GB RAM @ 1066Mhz but then again im just dreaming. I am also 15 yrs old, if that has anything to do with it
tongue.gif

This rig is purely my money I have managed to scrape up for about a year and a half..

Thanks for being honest with me mate.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding Chavez;11729430
Windows XP is still good. I read somewhere hardcore gamers and enthusiasts still like XP. I still use it to run some classic games like Falcon 4.0 Allied Force. Some would call me a hardcore gamer. Will be dual booting with Windows 7 64-bit when required. ie a good game which only runs on Win7, haven't seen one yet. I think you need a bigger screen and CPU M/B RAM video card but unless you're a gamer and a new game doesn't run well it's fine.
I love windows XP, I would have Windows 7 but it hogs to much FPS out of my games (GTA IV with XP: 34fps.. GTA IV with Windows 7: 22fps.)
I have had every operating system I can think of on this computer. (Ubuntu, Linux, Windows, Crunchbang etc etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingT;11729445
Pretty basic rig..

I have secondary rig: E6750 @ 3.3GHz , P5KPL-VM G31, 2x1GB 800MHz Apacer @ 986MHz and GF8600GT @ 720-1700-1600 and it`s still kickin good but GPU bottlenecked
biggrin.gif

But becouse you`re a 15 year old kid on the buget and you`ve built it yourself I`m gonna give you the best rating..
thumb.gif

CHEERS..
rolleyes.gif
Thanks, but the system itself is pretty bad
hypocritesmiley.png

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrispe95;11729707
The GPU card cost me £40 and the RAM £70, also the HDD's which were £85
I got the LCD for free (from school
tongue.gif
) I will not spend any more money on this rig and hopefully I will get some more money and build a better rig within 2years. I rarely get any money at all, unless it is my birthday or christmas, Then I may get £50-£150, which couldnt buy anything decent.
Hopefully my next system will be atleast a Q6600 OC'd 3.6ghz with 6-8GB RAM @ 1066Mhz but then again im just dreaming. I am also 15 yrs old, if that has anything to do with it
tongue.gif

This rig is purely my money I have managed to scrape up for about a year and a half..

Thanks for being honest with me mate.
rolleyes.gif
Sounds great then
wink.gif
If you're using it mainly for gaming, on the next upgrade try to digg real deep in the GPU and don't spend much money on RAM. Even Crysis doesn't fill 4 Gigs on Win7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrispe95;11729707
I love windows XP, I would have Windows 7 but it hogs to much FPS out of my games (GTA IV with XP: 34fps.. GTA IV with Windows 7: 22fps.)
That's strange. 7 actually boosted my frames on both my previous systems (Running HD2600 Pro and Radeon 9550 superclocked)
confused.gif
The mystery of Windows I guess
smile.gif

Cheers, I won't be stealing your thread any longer
wink.gif
take care

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850;11729785
Sounds great then
wink.gif
If you're using it mainly for gaming, on the next upgrade try to digg real deep in the GPU and don't spend much money on RAM. Even Crysis doesn't fill 4 Gigs on Win7.

That's strange. 7 actually boosed my frames on both my previous systems (Running HD2600 Pro and Radeon 9550 superclocked)
confused.gif
The mystery of Windows I guess
smile.gif

Cheers, I won't be stealing your thread any longer
wink.gif
take care
That system will maybe be built in about 4years xD

how about I save a little money for a graphics card? e.g: HD5670?
wouldn't that help my games? I know my motherboard blows, 1x PCI-e @ x16 and 1x PCI-e @ x4
eek.gif

Then next I can upgrade the CPU (ETA: Dec 2012
tongue.gif
)

Mate, your not stealing my thread, Im thankful you're actually posting something relevant. instead of all these idiots telling me to get i7, with a HD6970 and 12GB's RAM ... I am 15 for god sake, where am i going to get £700+...
mad.gif

#18 ·
I voted "pretty good." I think a good upgrade for you would be a q9300 from micro-center for 99$. Sure, a q9300 isn't a great overclocking chip, but it is a quad, and it will extend the life of your system by allowing you to get a very nice graphics card down the road. 99$ is a steal for a new quad core CPU, even an LGA 775 chip.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyveRson;11730059
I voted "pretty good." I think a good upgrade for you would be a q9300 from micro-center for 99$. Sure, a q9300 isn't a great overclocking chip, but it is a quad, and it will extend the life of your system by allowing you to get a very nice graphics card down the road. 99$ is a steal for a new quad core CPU, even an LGA 775 chip.
I agree with that, although I have no idea which CPU he's talking about
smile.gif
I'm lost in the Intel world. But a quad will definitely allow you to experience a better GPU. (the dual core limits mine)
I'm not familliar with Intel sockets too, BUT if possible, try to find a CPU which you can keep later on and run on an DDR3 board. Like the AMD AM3 socket CPUs- those run on DDR2 and 3 boards, making them very flexible choice. I hope Intel has something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrispe95;11729900
That system will maybe be built in about 4years xD

how about I save a little money for a graphics card? e.g: HD5670?
wouldn't that help my games? I know my motherboard blows, 1x PCI-e @ x16 and 1x PCI-e @ x4
eek.gif

Then next I can upgrade the CPU (ETA: Dec 2012
tongue.gif
)

Mate, your not stealing my thread, Im thankful you're actually posting something relevant. instead of all these idiots telling me to get i7, with a HD6970 and 12GB's RAM ... I am 15 for god sake, where am i going to get £700+...
mad.gif
If you ask me, on the GPU side it's waaay better to spare more and get a higher class chip. The cards itself doesn't matter much. The thing is- 56xx and 57xx run the RV840 chip, where HD58xx runs the RV870.
My advise If you decide on getting a new GPU, doesn't matter now or in 4 years, the advise will still hold:
Take a look at the HDx87x model- this usually is the best performing, yet at a reasonable price, card. If the HDx85x version runs the same chip, get that.
DO look for GDDR5 cards. DDR2/DDR3 on GPU is junk.
DO look for the not-latest, but previous model. Like HD5xxx when HD6xxx came out, or HD4xxx when HD5xxx came out
smile.gif

DO look for 256-bit memory interface. It's rare to find, and 99% of the time- very expensive.
128-bit will do.
64-bit is junk.
DO look for 512Mb card- GDDR is expensive, and unless you plan on getting 25" monitor, 512 will perform the Exact same way as 1G, but for <80% the price.
So, get a lower-model card, with small, but fast memory, and high-end chip then OC the core to the freq of the high-class model. You'll need to mod the cooler, but that's actually the fun part
wink.gif

That way you end up with a high end GPU on the price of a mid-range.

(off-topic: And believe me, there's nothing better than the feeling when you can max a new game
smile.gif
I've always ran my games on Medium or Ugly settings
biggrin.gif
Since I got this 4870 I'm reborn!)

EDIT: And most importantly, don't spend lots of cash on a PC
smile.gif
Take a girl or two to a nice restourant/bar/disco/barn instead
wink.gif

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnin426850
View Post

I agree with that, although I have no idea which CPU he's talking about
I'm lost in the Intel world. But a quad will definitely allow you to experience a better GPU. (the dual core limits mine)
I'm not familliar with Intel sockets too, BUT if possible, try to find a CPU which you can keep later on and run on an DDR3 board. Like the AMD AM3 socket CPUs- those run on DDR2 and 3 boards, making them very flexible choice. I hope Intel has something like that.

If you ask me, on the GPU side it's waaay better to spare more and get a higher class chip. The cards itself doesn't matter much. The thing is- 56xx and 57xx run the RV840 chip, where HD58xx runs the RV870.
My advise If you decide on getting a new GPU, doesn't matter now or in 4 years, the advise will still hold:
Take a look at the HDx87x model- this usually is the best performing, yet at a reasonable price, card. If the HDx85x version runs the same chip, get that.
DO look for GDDR5 cards. DDR2/DDR3 on GPU is junk.
DO look for the not-latest, but previous model. Like HD5xxx when HD6xxx came out, or HD4xxx when HD5xxx came out

DO look for 256-bit memory interface. It's rare to find, and 99% of the time- very expensive.
128-bit will do.
64-bit is junk.
DO look for 512Mb card- GDDR is expensive, and unless you plan on getting 25" monitor, 512 will perform the Exact same way as 1G, but for <80% the price.
So, get a lower-model card, with small, but fast memory, and high-end chip then OC the core to the freq of the high-class model. You'll need to mod the cooler, but that's actually the fun part

That way you end up with a high end GPU on the price of a mid-range.

(off-topic: And believe me, there's nothing better than the feeling when you can max a new game
I've alway ran my games on Medium or Ugly settings
Since I got this 4870 I'm reborn!)

EDIT: And most importantly, don't spend lots of cash on a PC
Take a girl or two to a nice restourant/bar/disco/barn instead

Thank you so much for all your advice, I just pasted it into a notepad saved as "PC build graphics tips.txt"

oh, I dont have a girlfriend and im not looking to get 1 until im atleast 18, as all these stupid teenage girls make me so angry..
Best regards to you mate, Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.