Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › upgrade decision help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

upgrade decision help - Page 2

post #11 of 17
I picked up a GTX 570 last week after having purchased an ATI 5870 back in August. Prior to that, I owned a GTX 260. Making the switch back to nVidia, even for a "sidegrade" was worth it for me (I wouldn't consider this a full-on upgrade, though I do see greatly improved performance in both Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft). The reason I did it was because of all the nagging driver glitches I put up with when I bought my ATI card. Screen artifacts when using flash, weird framerate issues in WoW which have mysteriously disappeared since crossing back over. Not to mention noise. The 5870 sounded like a jet engine at around 50% fan speed, and got worse as heat increased. Even idling while powering two monitors it stayed around 55 degrees and loud. The 570 is so quiet I can't believe I ever tolerated the noise my 5870 generated while gaming.

TL;DR: I'd recommend the 570 based on anecdotal experience. Take that for what it's worth.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexyc View Post
I picked up a GTX 570 last week after having purchased an ATI 5870 back in August. Prior to that, I owned a GTX 260. Making the switch back to nVidia, even for a "sidegrade" was worth it for me (I wouldn't consider this a full-on upgrade, though I do see greatly improved performance in both Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft). The reason I did it was because of all the nagging driver glitches I put up with when I bought my ATI card. Screen artifacts when using flash, weird framerate issues in WoW which have mysteriously disappeared since crossing back over. Not to mention noise. The 5870 sounded like a jet engine at around 50% fan speed, and got worse as heat increased. Even idling while powering two monitors it stayed around 55 degrees and loud. The 570 is so quiet I can't believe I ever tolerated the noise my 5870 generated while gaming.

TL;DR: I'd recommend the 570 based on anecdotal experience. Take that for what it's worth.

thanks averyone seems to be telling me that 570 is the way to go but the reatilers are sying go ATI, they have bumped the price of the 570 to 380€ and ive even got 2 online stores offering me the 6970 fo 350€ free shipping.

what to do what to doo
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K ASUS P8Z68-V POWERCOLOR HD6950 (Sold, Searching for somethin... Corsair Vengeance 1600 16Gb Cl9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb WD Caviar Blue Crucial M4 120Gb ASUS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 X64 Samsung T240 Ozone Strike (cherry black) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR TX-750W Antec P183 Steelseries XAI Steelseries 4HD 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanuim 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K ASUS P8Z68-V POWERCOLOR HD6950 (Sold, Searching for somethin... Corsair Vengeance 1600 16Gb Cl9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb WD Caviar Blue Crucial M4 120Gb ASUS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 X64 Samsung T240 Ozone Strike (cherry black) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR TX-750W Antec P183 Steelseries XAI Steelseries 4HD 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanuim 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Im still worried about the 1.2 vs 2Gig GDddr5 on the long run.

will in 1 1/2 years the 570 feel the lack of Gddr on new titls vs the 6870' 2Gigs?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K ASUS P8Z68-V POWERCOLOR HD6950 (Sold, Searching for somethin... Corsair Vengeance 1600 16Gb Cl9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb WD Caviar Blue Crucial M4 120Gb ASUS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 X64 Samsung T240 Ozone Strike (cherry black) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR TX-750W Antec P183 Steelseries XAI Steelseries 4HD 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanuim 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K ASUS P8Z68-V POWERCOLOR HD6950 (Sold, Searching for somethin... Corsair Vengeance 1600 16Gb Cl9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb WD Caviar Blue Crucial M4 120Gb ASUS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 X64 Samsung T240 Ozone Strike (cherry black) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR TX-750W Antec P183 Steelseries XAI Steelseries 4HD 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanuim 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiZeL View Post
Im still worried about the 1.2 vs 2Gig GDddr5 on the long run.

will in 1 1/2 years the 570 feel the lack of Gddr on new titls vs the 6870' 2Gigs?
Unless you're planning on purchasing an IPS panel monitor with a high resolution (2560x1440) or using a multi-monitor setup for gaming (e.g., eyefinity, 3d surround), then I wouldn't be concerned. At any resolution up to- and including 1920x1200, the GTX 570 is considered by most to be the best buy for your money.
post #15 of 17
Gtx 570


!!!!
Maddness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom || X6 1090 Asus M4A79XTD EVO EVGA GTX 570 Corair 4x2 Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green LG DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate LG Flatron 22' 
PowerCaseMouse
Tagan 1100 W Haf 932 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
Maddness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom || X6 1090 Asus M4A79XTD EVO EVGA GTX 570 Corair 4x2 Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green LG DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate LG Flatron 22' 
PowerCaseMouse
Tagan 1100 W Haf 932 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexyc View Post
Unless you're planning on purchasing an IPS panel monitor with a high resolution (2560x1440) or using a multi-monitor setup for gaming (e.g., eyefinity, 3d surround), then I wouldn't be concerned. At any resolution up to- and including 1920x1200, the GTX 570 is considered by most to be the best buy for your money.
yh but future titles wouldn't they start to feel the lack of vram?
any yes an eyefinity setup is rather appealing to me
and also my mobo only officially supports crossfire
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K ASUS P8Z68-V POWERCOLOR HD6950 (Sold, Searching for somethin... Corsair Vengeance 1600 16Gb Cl9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb WD Caviar Blue Crucial M4 120Gb ASUS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 X64 Samsung T240 Ozone Strike (cherry black) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR TX-750W Antec P183 Steelseries XAI Steelseries 4HD 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanuim 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K ASUS P8Z68-V POWERCOLOR HD6950 (Sold, Searching for somethin... Corsair Vengeance 1600 16Gb Cl9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb WD Caviar Blue Crucial M4 120Gb ASUS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 X64 Samsung T240 Ozone Strike (cherry black) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR TX-750W Antec P183 Steelseries XAI Steelseries 4HD 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanuim 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiZeL View Post
but wont the 1.2Gb Vram hurt me on a long run?
PS ive been on ATI for a long time and never had driver issues, i even crossifred.

And i dont FOLD
If you play at 100,000 x 200,000 resolution on ten monitors.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Zilog Z80 @ 4MHz Coleco Adam Motherboard 16 KB / 16 colors / 32 sprites (on-board) 64K 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Coleco Digital Data Cassette Coleco Digital Data Cassette CP/M, BASIC (on tape) CRT Television 
PowerCase
Built into printer Plays All Coleco Cartridges 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Zilog Z80 @ 4MHz Coleco Adam Motherboard 16 KB / 16 colors / 32 sprites (on-board) 64K 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Coleco Digital Data Cassette Coleco Digital Data Cassette CP/M, BASIC (on tape) CRT Television 
PowerCase
Built into printer Plays All Coleco Cartridges 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › upgrade decision help