Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Destructoid] Bloody, gritty, sexy: hands on Dragon Age 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Destructoid] Bloody, gritty, sexy: hands on Dragon Age 2 - Page 6

post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmung View Post
I trust bioware will make a terrific game. Mass effect 1 and 2 are drastically different games yet both were game of the year material. They know what they are doing.
mass effect 2 is the best corridor shooter i have played in years.

Their idea of exploration in ME2 was opening a safe on the other side of a door which was barely an offshoot from the main corridor you travel down.
Edited by Vhati - 12/28/10 at 7:48am
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmung View Post
I trust bioware will make a terrific game. Mass effect 1 and 2 are drastically different games yet both were game of the year material. They know what they are doing.
ME 1 and 2 were pretty similar. You ran around, as the same dude/broad in a space ship shooting things, throwing grenades and using force powers that weren't the force with 15-20 hours of game play.

The only differences were a more refined interface, no inventory to speak of and better graphics with less random planets to land on and drive around in the car.

While it was pretty closed DA:O is a more traditional RPG where you customize your character, can pick different races, start points, skills and occupation (warrior, mage, rouge). Still not terribly far from the Baulders Gate experience though significantly shorter and more constricted/railed world.

This new DA is basically Mass Effect with a pseudo over head view, apparently looting, still meh graphics and even less of the traditional RPG elements nerds who grew up in the late 80s early 90s prefer to the streamlined fast paced nonsense of today's games.

A game like the Witcher where the combat mechanics suck but the game play and graphics are great while being able to run around like a lost idiot for 4 hours in a swamp because you don't know exactly what doing with your life is pretty awesome. Actually having to "explore" an area to find something. What a novel idea.

Unlike more of the new bioware games where you run down the corridor because there is no where else to go slaying the masses with your godlike character not having to think about where you're going or what you're doing just focus on the blood and boobs is a far cry from what I would consider RPG which is what this "series" was supposed to be.

The successor of Baulders Gate... Which clearly it is not...



edit:loved ME 1 and 2 btw but having a legitimate top view RPG that can run at a native resolution on a PC from this decade would be kind of nice
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 550 BE ASUS M4A785TD-V 2x5770 CrossFire 4GB / CORSAIR TW3X4G1600C9D G R 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD 640GB BE Win7 64bit Pro CORSAIR 750TX NZXT Tempest 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 550 BE ASUS M4A785TD-V 2x5770 CrossFire 4GB / CORSAIR TW3X4G1600C9D G R 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD 640GB BE Win7 64bit Pro CORSAIR 750TX NZXT Tempest 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Beef View Post
ME 1 and 2 were pretty similar. You ran around, as the same dude/broad in a space ship shooting things, throwing grenades and using force powers that weren't the force with 15-20 hours of game play.

The only differences were a more refined interface, no inventory to speak of and better graphics with less random planets to land on and drive around in the car.

While it was pretty closed DA:O is a more traditional RPG where you customize your character, can pick different races, start points, skills and occupation (warrior, mage, rouge). Still not terribly far from the Baulders Gate experience though significantly shorter and more constricted/railed world.

This new DA is basically Mass Effect with a pseudo over head view, apparently looting, still meh graphics and even less of the traditional RPG elements nerds who grew up in the late 80s early 90s prefer to the streamlined fast paced nonsense of today's games.

A game like the Witcher where the combat mechanics suck but the game play and graphics are great while being able to run around like a lost idiot for 4 hours in a swamp because you don't know exactly what doing with your life is pretty awesome. Actually having to "explore" an area to find something. What a novel idea.

Unlike more of the new bioware games where you run down the corridor because there is no where else to go slaying the masses with your godlike character not having to think about where you're going or what you're doing just focus on the blood and boobs is a far cry from what I would consider RPG which is what this "series" was supposed to be.

The successor of Baulders Gate... Which clearly it is not...



edit:loved ME 1 and 2 btw but having a legitimate top view RPG that can run at a native resolution on a PC from this decade would be kind of nice
Bioware has been streamlining their rpgs for many games now. Each one becomes gets a little bit less complex than the last. Streamlining they call it, but they remove alot of the things that are fun in an rpg, the developing of your character, handling your statistics. It one of the reasons why i have slowing been drifting away from bioware products. The complexity is just not there anymore. They are designing their games around mouthbreathers on the console now.

Obsidian and CD project seem like the only mainstream devs that are willing to make something complex and intelligent. Check out eschalong book 1 and 2 for 2 of the best rpgs created in the last few years. If they had the money to turn it into a 3d game, it would drop the hammer on anything bioware could make.

when was the last time you walked into a room in a bioware game and actually had to work out how you were going to handle things. The only reason i have had to do it is because i put DAO and the mass effects on the hardest difficulties, which makes it harder, but only because it lacks balance, and doesnt allow for tactics to truly mean anything.
Edited by Vhati - 12/28/10 at 8:56am
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
Bioware has been streamlining their rpgs for many games now. Each one becomes gets a little bit less complex than the last. Streamlining they call it, but they remove alot of the things that are fun in an rpg, the developing of your character, handling your statistics. It one of the reasons why i have slowing been drifting away from bioware products. The complexity is just not there anymore. They are designing their games around mouthbreathers on the console now.

Obsidian and CD project seem like the only mainstream devs that are willing to make something complex and intelligent. Check out eschalong book 1 and 2 for 2 of the best rpgs created in the last few years. If they had the money to turn it into a 3d game, it would drop the hammer on anything bioware could make.

when was the last time you walked into a room in a bioware game and actually had to work out how you were going to handle things. The only reason i have had to do it is because i put DAO and the mass effects on the hardest difficulties, which makes it harder, but only because it lacks balance, and doesnt allow for tactics to truly mean anything.
i think that partly has to do with the GOGOGO nature of people now. i mean, RTSes are doing the same thing - trying new things and skewing things around in order to try and stay competitive but drifting further and further from their roots.

it's sad that there are so few RPG's out. definitely the market has changed
Herschel
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K ASRock Z87M Extreme4 eVGA GTX 680 2GB 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x 60GB SSD 1x 500GB, 1x 640GB, 1x 1TB Asus something or other Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer H236HLbid (23" 1920x1080) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE198 (19". 1440x900) Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Seasonic X650 Antec P180 Mini White 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Herschel
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K ASRock Z87M Extreme4 eVGA GTX 680 2GB 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x 60GB SSD 1x 500GB, 1x 640GB, 1x 1TB Asus something or other Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer H236HLbid (23" 1920x1080) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE198 (19". 1440x900) Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Seasonic X650 Antec P180 Mini White 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
i think that partly has to do with the GOGOGO nature of people now. i mean, RTSes are doing the same thing - trying new things and skewing things around in order to try and stay competitive but drifting further and further from their roots.

it's sad that there are so few RPG's out. definitely the market has changed
RTS games in most cases are getting more complex, look at the dawn of war series and coh series. Some like CnC are getting less complex, and some are innovating also. I feel the RTS segment is getting stronger. The RPG is dieiing slowly. I blame WoW and most large publishers who have their devs develop the new rpgs.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 56
Dragon Age 2 has, and continues to, sicken me. They took practically everything good out of it that made the first so fantastic.

There's still hope though, I suppose. It could turn around.
Ol' Faithful
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core Duo T2600 (2.16 GHz) Geforce Go 7950 GTX 2GB @ 667 MHz 100GB 7200 RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
8x CD/DVD burner with Dual-Layer Windows 7 WUXGA Truelife (1920 x 1200) None (borked) 
Mouse
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5600 DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
Ol' Faithful
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core Duo T2600 (2.16 GHz) Geforce Go 7950 GTX 2GB @ 667 MHz 100GB 7200 RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
8x CD/DVD burner with Dual-Layer Windows 7 WUXGA Truelife (1920 x 1200) None (borked) 
Mouse
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5600 DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Destructoid] Bloody, gritty, sexy: hands on Dragon Age 2