Overclock.net banner

[Destructoid] Bloody, gritty, sexy: hands on Dragon Age 2

4K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  olimango 
#1 ·
Quote:
"Dragon Age 2 is not a brand new game; It's a better, more-refined version of Dragon Age: Origins," explained executive producer Mark Darrah during a recent press event at BioWare's Edmonton studio. Darrah's take on Dragon Age 2 should be heartening for anxious fans of the first, yet his take -- thus-far consistent with the larger marketing push -- seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Since it was announced Dragon Age 2 has come under fire from ostensible fans for its changes to combat, player agency, dialogue, and continuity. "It's extrapolation to the worst possible extreme," a bemused Mike Laidlaw, lead designer, explained to me in a later interview.

For my money, insofar as my time with Dragon Age 2, Darrah's assessment is apt. Four hours isn't long enough to make a judgment call on what will probably be a sprawling narrative, but the basic mechanics are as sound as, if not better than, their predecessors...
http://www.destructoid.com/bloody-gritty-sexy-hands-on-dragon-age-2-189549.phtml

bit late, but i didn't see it posted.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat;11748398
What are people complaining about? I thought the combat looked very similar to the first dragon age which was absolutely amazing.
People are complaining its to fast paced and flashy. I am not joking go look at other threads about DA:2 not just on here but any where. People have been saying they ruined the game because of it.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmung;11748580
People are complaining its to fast paced and flashy. I am not joking go look at other threads about DA:2 not just on here but any where. People have been saying they ruined the game because of it.
This is Dragon Age. It isn't mass effect or kotor. It shouldn't be fast paced and flashy.

#12 ·
EA didnt think that dragon age looked "cool" enough. So now we have all these flashy over the top attacks, and a instead of realistic look of the original, now we are getting a "cool" look that is suppose to make everyone look badass, because badass is "cool" the more spikes you can put on a guy, the "cooler" he looks. The bigger the weapon, usually needs to be twice the size of a real version of it is "cooler:. Might as well make his eyes glow also because its "cool". The qunari were not "cool" enough so the got the full on "coolification" Not just a little bit, they changed them entirely, now they are badass.

I swear thats the honest to god truth. EA said, not cool enough gotta make it cool so the kids will buy it. Everything needs to be over the top and out of control, you know like mw2. Just balls to the wall everything cause thats what sells and if your game isnt "cool" we are going to send it over to our "coolification" department and they will start the transition.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vhati
View Post

EA didnt think that dragon age looked "cool" enough. So now we have all these flashy over the top attacks, and a instead of realistic look of the original, now we are getting a "cool" look that is suppose to make everyone look badass, because badass is "cool" the more spikes you can put on a guy, the "cooler" he looks. The bigger the weapon, usually needs to be twice the size of a real version of it is "cooler:. Might as well make his eyes glow also because its "cool". The qunari were not "cool" enough so the got the full on "coolification" Not just a little bit, they changed them entirely, now they are badass.

I swear thats the honest to god truth. EA said, not cool enough gotta make it cool so the kids will buy it. Everything needs to be over the top and out of control, you know like mw2. Just balls to the wall everything cause thats what sells and if your game isnt "cool" we are going to send it over to our "coolification" department and they will start the transition.

Then... just... don't buy it? So much hate, lol.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kny;11750981
Then... just... don't buy it? So much hate, lol.
i more than likely wont be.

Doesnt mean im not allowed to post about it. I was explaining something to another poster.

This forum isnt all about the OMG JIZZ MY PANTS I WANT THIS GAME. There are multiple opinions on subjects, and all are free to be expressed.

If i dont care about a subject, i dont post in the thread. Im not in posting in most of the threads on this page because i have no interest. I HAD interest in dragon age 2 a while ago, DAO was an above average rpg and i was looking forward to the sequel. Everytime i see something new about DA2 it has been something disappointing. I just saddens me when Developers are not allowed to create their vision. DAO was being made before EA bought them, so it was so far along in production EA couldnt "coolify" it. Same goes for Mass effect. The entire feel of Mass effect 2 and DA2 are entirely different from the original games. That is EA getting their hands on things. I'm not saying ME 2 or DA2 are bad games, i just dont think they are what the developers truly wanted to do. Otherwise it would have been like that in the originals.

#15 ·
Quote:

View Post

Yep, because people who are buying a game in which you can play as various races that don't exist, cast magic, fight monsters and kill dragons are going to be totally pissed that some of attacks and weaponry are unrealistic.

How stupid of EA.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

Yep, because people who are buying a game in which you can play as various races that don't exist, cast magic, fight monsters and kill dragons are going to be totally pissed that some of attacks and weaponry are unrealistic.

How stupid of EA.

ODDLY ENOUGH. I am speaking about the graphical representation. If you couldnt tell. I never said anything involving the stuff you are speaking of. I immensely enjoyed DAO because its representation, instead of the usual graphics in a game. Next time, try to atleast read what i am saying.

i never even touched on the dialogue system from ME. The dialogue in ME1 and 2 were great, but it always felt like a guessing game. You never knew what you were going to say or do when picked something. It was exactly like this at times.

NPC "hey will you do this for me"

Shepard yes "yes, ill do that"

Shepard no " EAT @#$% you stupid fool" Then you boot him in the face.

I would liked to have the option of Just a no. I dont like having to be the goody goody or Badass for no reason.

Now We are going to have the same thing in dragon age 2, you will have to worry about what you are saying because there is a disconnect in the dialogue wheel and what you are saying. Its like a different person worked on each part 1 person did all the dialogue wheel, and the other did the dialogue itself, but neither actually saw what each was doing. I am not to fond of running around having hawke kick people in the face when he declines an offer. It should be an option sure, but not forced. The net result of saying no and saying no and kicking them in the face is probably the same, i just dont feel like i should be forced to in a roleplaying game, cause when i look back at it, ill remember all these people i kicked in the face.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect
View Post

not a big fan of the polygon vajayjay's eh?

For real. Hell, my ex used to play my modified Dead Or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball with me all the time. She'd be like "why is she so jiggley?" And i would say "Shut up and serve the ball!" Aaaaah. Good times. Pixelated nudity is funny.

#18 ·
Quote:

View Post

i more than likely wont be.

Doesnt mean im not allowed to post about it. I was explaining something to another poster.

This forum isnt all about the OMG JIZZ MY PANTS I WANT THIS GAME. There are multiple opinions on subjects, and all are free to be expressed.

If i dont care about a subject, i dont post in the thread. Im not in posting in most of the threads on this page because i have no interest. I HAD interest in dragon age 2 a while ago, DAO was an above average rpg and i was looking forward to the sequel. Everytime i see something new about DA2 it has been something disappointing. I just saddens me when Developers are not allowed to create their vision. DAO was being made before EA bought them, so it was so far along in production EA couldnt "coolify" it. Same goes for Mass effect. The entire feel of Mass effect 2 and DA2 are entirely different from the original games. That is EA getting their hands on things. I'm not saying ME 2 or DA2 are bad games, i just dont think they are what the developers truly wanted to do. Otherwise it would have been like that in the originals.

+1

I agree with this guy..Loved the original, played the heck out of it, then was so exited for the sequel, till I found out the changed just about everything.....

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by __Pat__
View Post

This is Dragon Age. It isn't mass effect or kotor. It shouldn't be fast paced and flashy.

Yeah, because Knights of the Old Rebublic--a franchise with a core Dungeons and Dragons ruleset--was fast-paced and flashy.

hahahahhahahahhahahahha

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grmnasasin0227
View Post

Yeah, because Knights of the Old Rebublic--a franchise with a core Dungeons and Dragons ruleset--was fast-paced and flashy.

hahahahhahahahhahahahha

The combat was pretty flashy, thats about it, the jedi like to flip and slash and jump around. But it wasnt quite over the top in any other case.

#21 ·
While I'm still not certain of this game, this article and its attempt at laying out some mechanics makes me feel good. As opposed to the usual:

"OMG LOOKEY AT DA 'SPLOSIONS OF MAH POWAH SWORD!!"

I at least get the feeling they tried to make the game "better" in ways without just making it Console-Yahoo!!

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmnasasin0227;11751474

hahahahhahahahhahahahha
I never played it, so I assumed it was
tongue.gif
(It's got lightsayyybuurrss (I think
thinking.gif
))
Anyway my point is, if that game were flashy, noone would be raging like they are here.
biggrin.gif

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPSONATOR;11753250
It's Dragon Age. They will do to it what they please, and will make millions in the process.
You sure you aren't talking about Call of Duty?
wink.gif

#25 ·
Dragon Age was boring. I hope this is better. The graphics on the PS3 were horrendous and there was stuttering as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.