Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Four 580s and my system, will the PSU be Powerfull enough?(Everything Overclocked)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Four 580s and my system, will the PSU be Powerfull enough?(Everything Overclocked) - Page 3

post #21 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinkey View Post
Dont mean to troll but, this a massive freaking overkill .
Haha!
Overkill2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3530@4.2 1.392V Gigabyte UD-9 GF Gt 430(Future Physx card.)(waiting for 69XX) Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD(OS!)/WD 1.5TB Win 7 (64 bit) 32'(Full HD)Sony Bravia Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W(OC) Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
Overkill2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3530@4.2 1.392V Gigabyte UD-9 GF Gt 430(Future Physx card.)(waiting for 69XX) Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD(OS!)/WD 1.5TB Win 7 (64 bit) 32'(Full HD)Sony Bravia Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W(OC) Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 39
Most powerful (I'm not trying to be a thread crapper...lol) set up indeed, but that 4th 580 will be massive waste of your money, mate. I'm looking towards a 990x and *possibly* 3rd 580 myself, but I'm more inclined to up my CPU and drop in a single slot 450 or 460 for dedicated physx. (when they're available!)

There's no doubt in my mind that your PSU will handle it, but blimey...that's one hit on your wallet.
(not to mention super ridiculous space heater...wc that rig would be a another massive ding)
post #23 of 39
Hey how about you only get 3 GTX 580s as that would definetely be more than enough even for 3D surround!!!!! If you do that your power supply would also be enough to overclock the crap out of everything. 4 GTX 580s are absolutely overkill and waste of money. I'd suggest you buy an another monitor instead of the 4th GTX 580! of course it s your choice but just saying..
Zniper1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4Ghz Gigabyte X58A-UD5 GTX 285 @ 729/1566/1332 6GB Corsair Dominator @1600Mhz 6-8-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Saegate 500gb SATA LightScribe Windows 7 64-bit HP w1907 19" 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620W Thermaltake Armor+ Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
Zniper1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4Ghz Gigabyte X58A-UD5 GTX 285 @ 729/1566/1332 6GB Corsair Dominator @1600Mhz 6-8-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Saegate 500gb SATA LightScribe Windows 7 64-bit HP w1907 19" 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620W Thermaltake Armor+ Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid View Post
Most powerful (I'm not trying to be a thread crapper...lol) set up indeed, but that 4th 580 will be massive waste of your money, mate. I'm looking towards a 990x and *possibly* 3rd 580 myself, but I'm more inclined to up my CPU and drop in a single slot 450 or 460 for dedicated physx. (when they're available!)

There's no doubt in my mind that your PSU will handle it, but blimey...that's one hit on your wallet.
(not to mention super ridiculous space heater...wc that rig would be a another massive ding)
Its all true, Its pretty much a waste of money. But I used to actually(and still am a bit)Gamble all of my money and waste it on anything possible, leaving me with nothing to show. Its how I got into PCs and Overclocking, I realised that when I got me rig before this that its much more fun having something to show for my money. I just had a crossfire 5850 setup, but loved to bench and OC the cards, and it just made me want more! So I am tring to stop gambling and just go nuts on this rig(wanna put all my money into it).

So would there be any differnce on Vantage/3dmark11 with four 580s, compared with three?

Ps. are you saying my PSU is enough or not?

Edit: could someone explain a bit more about this 3dsurround? I dont know anything about it.
Overkill2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3530@4.2 1.392V Gigabyte UD-9 GF Gt 430(Future Physx card.)(waiting for 69XX) Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD(OS!)/WD 1.5TB Win 7 (64 bit) 32'(Full HD)Sony Bravia Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W(OC) Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
Overkill2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3530@4.2 1.392V Gigabyte UD-9 GF Gt 430(Future Physx card.)(waiting for 69XX) Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD(OS!)/WD 1.5TB Win 7 (64 bit) 32'(Full HD)Sony Bravia Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W(OC) Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 39
psu should be enough...but I'd listen to whatever Phaedrus says before I listen to myself. lol.

3D surround: 3 3D-ready monitors (Asus and Viewsonic make them) with a pair of active shutter glasses to make your games more realistic/pop-out/visually blah blah blah (like watching Avatar 3D in the theater) I'm not a fan...got me nothing but headaches and nausea after an hour of it.

2D surround: same, only not 3D. Triple monitor gaming goodness @ 5760X1080 and beyond (depends on your monitors' capable resolutions) Only caveat: bezels. The thinner the monitors bezels, the less distracting they are...but in my experience they just fade away when you're gaming.



I know 580's scale incredibly well in 2way SLI...reviews (guru3D) showed not that much more of a difference between 2 and 3 way, other than the 1.5GB increase in VRAM, which is great if you're pushing three monitors at beyond 5760x1080, or are really really in to Crysis with real life mod and metro 2033.
Edited by Mongol - 12/24/10 at 9:20am
post #26 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid View Post
psu should be enough...but I'd listen to whatever Phaedrus says before I listen to myself. lol.

3D surround: 3 3D-ready monitors (Asus and Viewsonic make them) with a pair of active shutter glasses to make your games more realistic/pop-out/visually blah blah blah (like watching Avatar 3D in the theater) I'm not a fan...got me nothing but headaches and nausea after an hour of it.

2D surround: same, only not 3D. Triple monitor gaming goodness @ 5760X1080 and beyond (depends on your monitors' capable resolutions) Only caveat: bezels. The thinner the monitors bezels, the less distracting they are...but in my experience they just fade away when you're gaming.

Phaedrus?

Thanks mate So its very simalar to eyefinity but you need a card per screen?

yeah I really havent seen much 3d stuff I approve of myself either, think they need to wait until they can do it properly. Basicly I think its to new or its just bad maby?
Overkill2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3530@4.2 1.392V Gigabyte UD-9 GF Gt 430(Future Physx card.)(waiting for 69XX) Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD(OS!)/WD 1.5TB Win 7 (64 bit) 32'(Full HD)Sony Bravia Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W(OC) Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
Overkill2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3530@4.2 1.392V Gigabyte UD-9 GF Gt 430(Future Physx card.)(waiting for 69XX) Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD(OS!)/WD 1.5TB Win 7 (64 bit) 32'(Full HD)Sony Bravia Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W(OC) Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 39
No worries mate, cheers!

Phaedrus is one of the few PSU gurus around here...he posted in this thread if I'm not mistaken.
edit: as a matter of fact, 1st page, and you quoted him.

You need 2 cards (nVidia) One card (usually top) runs 2 screens and sli'd (2nd) card runs 3rd. (they have to be identical (ie: 580+580 or 570+570..etc...) for this to work.
post #28 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid View Post
No worries mate, cheers!

Phaedrus is one of the few PSU gurus around here...he posted in this thread if I'm not mistaken.
edit: as a matter of fact, 1st page, and you quoted him.

You need 2 cards (nVidia) One card (usually top) runs 2 screens and sli'd (2nd) card runs 3rd. (they have to be identical (ie: 580+580 or 570+570..etc...) for this to work.
Thanks mate , So with 3-way SLI not much difference? how many frames on top? what were they testing in, like which benchmarks?

Also do you think the drivers will get much better on the SLI? because I thought they used to be perfect on the older series in some cases, well not perfect but very good. Not sure If 4th card ever reallydid well, if anything?
Edited by LemonCake - 12/24/10 at 9:39am
Overkill2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3530@4.2 1.392V Gigabyte UD-9 GF Gt 430(Future Physx card.)(waiting for 69XX) Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD(OS!)/WD 1.5TB Win 7 (64 bit) 32'(Full HD)Sony Bravia Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W(OC) Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
Overkill2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3530@4.2 1.392V Gigabyte UD-9 GF Gt 430(Future Physx card.)(waiting for 69XX) Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD(OS!)/WD 1.5TB Win 7 (64 bit) 32'(Full HD)Sony Bravia Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W(OC) Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 39
Different cards do not render different screens. The entire field of view is rendered as one workload split across the different cards using the same algorithms as used for a single screen. It's then sent to the primary GPU where it's sent to the screens.
post #30 of 39
Multiple games/benchies...here's a linky to the review:
Guru3D 580 SLI review

Ok, I was slightly mistaken...lol. There are some instances where there is minimal difference, and some where there is quite a bit of difference. (scaling) Check it out...if anything, I wouldn't go beyond 3way sli mate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Four 580s and my system, will the PSU be Powerfull enough?(Everything Overclocked)