Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › To Laptop Or To RIG!?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

To Laptop Or To RIG!?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hey guys some of you may have noticed ive been looking at getting an MSI gx660r

ive done all my research and its def a solid piece of awesome!

my issue now is im starting to come up with cool rig mod ideas and wanna build one, also because i want to rock dual 6870's and play the shi* outta power sucking games.

but the thing is im not a huge PC gamer, all i play is starcraft 2 and fear, and when i get my laptop imma play crysis and metro, Condemn me for saying it im better with a controller in hand with FPS.

and ontop of all that i move around alot, im almost NEVER home. i work 6 days a week 7 to 5ish and after i usually make dinner and go to bed lol (grandma status)

so IDK when id get to use the rig i want to build. atleast with the lappy i can take it to work and play when im not busy (and the boss isnt around lol), or friends house (which i SC2 it with them alot) and LAN it up or on long drives what eve's but ill be spending 500 bucks more for half the power it doesnt seem worth it almost.

what do you guys think (try and not be bias since most of you game the Shi* outta ur pc. im super confused on what to do
Michael Bay
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus ROG Gene Z MSI GTX 680 G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 RPM Samsung Evo SSD SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win7 HP ASUS VH238H Black 23" Samsung 42inch plasma Corsair Vengeance k70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 Fractal Designs Define Mini RAZER Spectre StarCraft II Gaming Mouse Razer Pad 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 5.1 Surround Sennheiser HD558 Corsair Air Series 
  hide details  
Reply
Michael Bay
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus ROG Gene Z MSI GTX 680 G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 RPM Samsung Evo SSD SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win7 HP ASUS VH238H Black 23" Samsung 42inch plasma Corsair Vengeance k70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 Fractal Designs Define Mini RAZER Spectre StarCraft II Gaming Mouse Razer Pad 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 5.1 Surround Sennheiser HD558 Corsair Air Series 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig1990 View Post
Hey guys some of you may have noticed ive been looking at getting an MSI gx660r

ive done all my research and its def a solid piece of awesome!

my issue now is im starting to come up with cool rig mod ideas and wanna build one, also because i want to rock dual 6870's and play the shi* outta power sucking games.

but the thing is im not a huge PC gamer, all i play is starcraft 2 and fear, and when i get my laptop imma play crysis and metro, Condemn me for saying it im better with a controller in hand with FPS.

and ontop of all that i move around alot, im almost NEVER home. i work 6 days a week 7 to 5ish and after i usually make dinner and go to bed lol (grandma status)

so IDK when id get to use the rig i want to build. atleast with the lappy i can take it to work and play when im not busy (and the boss isnt around lol), or friends house (which i SC2 it with them alot) and LAN it up or on long drives what eve's but ill be spending 500 bucks more for half the power it doesnt seem worth it almost.

what do you guys think (try and not be bias since most of you game the Shi* outta ur pc. im super confused on what to do
Personaly I hade to sell my big rig because of the military and picked up an ASUS G73 and this thing is an absolute power house. And I have no issuse playing games at max sattings including SC II. So if your looking for a gaming power house all I can say is DO IT.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3610QM  Alienware proprietary  2GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M 16GB DDR3 at 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorPower
500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 240GB Samsung EVO 840 17.3-inch WideFHD 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D Alienware M17x 240W 
MouseOther
Logitech G700 Killer Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gamin... 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3610QM  Alienware proprietary  2GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M 16GB DDR3 at 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorPower
500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 240GB Samsung EVO 840 17.3-inch WideFHD 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D Alienware M17x 240W 
MouseOther
Logitech G700 Killer Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gamin... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
do what fits your lifestyle. if you are always on the go then the laptop is the best choice.

its nice to have a high powered rig, but if its just sitting there collecting dust because you dont have the time to appreciate it. then dont bother.

just save the money and get plastic surgery to you look like robert pattinson so you can get free blow pops from street soliciting girls....
ಠ-ಠ
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe EVGA GTX580 Mushkin DDR3 Silverline Stilletto(4x4)16GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar BLACK  Kingston V200 2x LG DVD RAM w/ lightscribe Win7 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2410T 23.6" 120Hz LED LCD Razer Lycosa ENERMAX REVOLUTION 850W CM HAF 922M 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Mamba ALLSOP high precision mousepad Creative Labs X-fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
ಠ-ಠ
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe EVGA GTX580 Mushkin DDR3 Silverline Stilletto(4x4)16GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar BLACK  Kingston V200 2x LG DVD RAM w/ lightscribe Win7 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2410T 23.6" 120Hz LED LCD Razer Lycosa ENERMAX REVOLUTION 850W CM HAF 922M 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Mamba ALLSOP high precision mousepad Creative Labs X-fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog7771 View Post
Personaly I hade to sell my big rig because of the military and picked up an ASUS G73 and this thing is an absolute power house. And I have no issuse playing games at max sattings including SC II. So if your looking for a gaming power house all I can say is DO IT.
i was originally gonna get the g73 but after the JH series they threw in a 460m and took out the original 5870 which is a better card so i found this one and its only a tad more with the 5870 and SC2 i know i can run on ultra no issue but crysis 2 when it comes out and metro are gonna Azz ram my card. but if u say its pretty sexy ill probley still do the lappy
Michael Bay
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus ROG Gene Z MSI GTX 680 G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 RPM Samsung Evo SSD SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win7 HP ASUS VH238H Black 23" Samsung 42inch plasma Corsair Vengeance k70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 Fractal Designs Define Mini RAZER Spectre StarCraft II Gaming Mouse Razer Pad 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 5.1 Surround Sennheiser HD558 Corsair Air Series 
  hide details  
Reply
Michael Bay
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus ROG Gene Z MSI GTX 680 G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 RPM Samsung Evo SSD SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win7 HP ASUS VH238H Black 23" Samsung 42inch plasma Corsair Vengeance k70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 Fractal Designs Define Mini RAZER Spectre StarCraft II Gaming Mouse Razer Pad 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 5.1 Surround Sennheiser HD558 Corsair Air Series 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
do what fits your lifestyle. if you are always on the go then the laptop is the best choice.

its nice to have a high powered rig, but if its just sitting there collecting dust because you dont have the time to appreciate it. then dont bother.

just save the money and get plastic surgery to you look like robert pattinson so you can get free blow pops from street soliciting girls....
you make sense sir! haha

FReAKIN AWESOME! it originally said blow-Js but i got introub on here cuz it was "bad" so used paint and now all she wants is to give out blowpops MMMMM CHERRY!
Michael Bay
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus ROG Gene Z MSI GTX 680 G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 RPM Samsung Evo SSD SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win7 HP ASUS VH238H Black 23" Samsung 42inch plasma Corsair Vengeance k70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 Fractal Designs Define Mini RAZER Spectre StarCraft II Gaming Mouse Razer Pad 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 5.1 Surround Sennheiser HD558 Corsair Air Series 
  hide details  
Reply
Michael Bay
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus ROG Gene Z MSI GTX 680 G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 RPM Samsung Evo SSD SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win7 HP ASUS VH238H Black 23" Samsung 42inch plasma Corsair Vengeance k70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 Fractal Designs Define Mini RAZER Spectre StarCraft II Gaming Mouse Razer Pad 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 5.1 Surround Sennheiser HD558 Corsair Air Series 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
i hope you dont plan to take that thing out into public lol. those LEDs need to go.

I dont game the heck outta my PC so the decision you have to make is... do you?

That laptop is going to get quite hot and be on the desktop replacement side of heavy regardless of the screen size... Lugging around anything over 5-5.5lbs imo is a nightmare... I have a 14 inch lenovo i take around everywhere for work each day. Can't stand it.
Edited by rmp459 - 12/23/10 at 8:01am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x @ 4.4ghz (1.19v) evga x99 micro2 (2) evga gtx 980 ti hybrid 32gb hyperx 2666mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung 950 pro 512gb NVMe M.2 ssd ek everything win 10 xl2430t / u2515h (x2) / u2913wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
cm novatouch w/ pbt caps. evga 1200 p2 lian li pc-9f nixeus revel 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qck heavy gustard U12/X12 -> H10/Lyr presonus 22vsl > mxl770 (mic) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x @ 4.4ghz (1.19v) evga x99 micro2 (2) evga gtx 980 ti hybrid 32gb hyperx 2666mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung 950 pro 512gb NVMe M.2 ssd ek everything win 10 xl2430t / u2515h (x2) / u2913wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
cm novatouch w/ pbt caps. evga 1200 p2 lian li pc-9f nixeus revel 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qck heavy gustard U12/X12 -> H10/Lyr presonus 22vsl > mxl770 (mic) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp459 View Post
i hope you dont plan to take that thing out into public lol. those LEDs need to go.

I dont game the heck outta my PC so the decision you have to make is... do you?

That laptop is going to get quite hot and be on the desktop replacement side of heavy regardless of the screen size... Lugging around anything over 5-5.5lbs imo is a nightmare... I have a 14 inch lenovo i take around everywhere for work each day. Can't stand it.
on xotic imma get diamond compound and the fan in it is like a GD jet engine

scroll to 4:10 and listen to the thing sounds like its gonna fly away! ahah

Michael Bay
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus ROG Gene Z MSI GTX 680 G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 RPM Samsung Evo SSD SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win7 HP ASUS VH238H Black 23" Samsung 42inch plasma Corsair Vengeance k70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 Fractal Designs Define Mini RAZER Spectre StarCraft II Gaming Mouse Razer Pad 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 5.1 Surround Sennheiser HD558 Corsair Air Series 
  hide details  
Reply
Michael Bay
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus ROG Gene Z MSI GTX 680 G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 RPM Samsung Evo SSD SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win7 HP ASUS VH238H Black 23" Samsung 42inch plasma Corsair Vengeance k70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 Fractal Designs Define Mini RAZER Spectre StarCraft II Gaming Mouse Razer Pad 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 5.1 Surround Sennheiser HD558 Corsair Air Series 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › To Laptop Or To RIG!?