Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Looking for a good quality AM3+ Mobo. Recommendations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a good quality AM3+ Mobo. Recommendations?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
While this may be premature, I am going to be planning on building a new computer in Q1 and either upgrading or building another computer in the summer when Bulldozer comes out.

Now I don't know if Bulldozer will be priced right or if it will really be the end all be all of processors, but it seems that Intel's next line starts really ramping in up in January and AMD in the summer and those are the good times to jump on board and build a new PC. I was really hoping the next line of processors would include a GPU on the CPU. Oh well.

Anyway, Bulldozer will be an AM3 socket processor as I have heard and thus keeping an eye out for certain boards and pricing isn't a bad idea starting now. I will want USB 3.0, DDR3, SATA 6.0 ports (not a big deal, but if it is standard or not much extra then cool), room for a 2 graphic cards, audio card, and maybe tuner card. eSATA ports are a plus, but I have yet to use them. Beyond that of course I want good bridge chip sets, bandwidths, and quality. I don't want green or blue PCB if possible (again, not huge).

Thanks in advance.
Edited by RoddimusPrime - 12/23/10 at 9:55am
post #2 of 7
asus m4a88td is nice. i built a system with phenom II 955 be and it oc'd like a dream

edit. u said am3+... thought you said am3.

am3+ are not out yet
Edited by rocker22dallas - 12/23/10 at 2:38pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoddimusPrime View Post
While this may be premature, I am going to be planning on building a new computer in Q1 and either upgrading or building another computer in the summer when Bulldozer comes out.

Now I don't know if Bulldozer will be priced right or if it will really be the end all be all of processors, but it seems that Intel's next line starts really ramping in up in January and AMD in the summer and those are the good times to jump on board and build a new PC. I was really hoping the next line of processors would include a GPU on the CPU. Oh well.

Anyway, Bulldozer will be an AM3 socket processor as I have heard and thus keeping an eye out for certain boards and pricing isn't a bad idea starting now. I will want USB 3.0, DDR3, SATA 6.0 ports (not a big deal, but if it is standard or not much extra then cool), room for a 2 graphic cards, audio card, and maybe tuner card. eSATA ports are a plus, but I have yet to use them. Beyond that of course I want good bridge chip sets, bandwidths, and quality. I don't want green or blue PCB if possible (again, not huge).

Thanks in advance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-198-_-Product

great mobo with all the features you want (except it's blue). i researched it myself for my new build (and ended up ordering it).
post #4 of 7
am3+ mobo is not available yet.
Encoder PC
(12 items)
 
3D movies
(9 items)
 
HTPC/Gaming PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k asus grphton  4550 4GB (2x2GB) Adata Gaming  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
1x 750GB, WD 640GB, 4x 1TB ( 3x Seagate 1TB & 1... EK Supreme HF (acteal/nickel) Phobya NB Eloop fans  Windows 7 
PowerCaseOtherOther
antec BP 550w SM8 ST30 240 UT60 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+  3450 gskill DDR3-1600 Western Digital  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Western Digital  Corsair H50 corsair SP120 Windows 7 
Case
Caselab M8 
  hide details  
Reply
Encoder PC
(12 items)
 
3D movies
(9 items)
 
HTPC/Gaming PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k asus grphton  4550 4GB (2x2GB) Adata Gaming  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
1x 750GB, WD 640GB, 4x 1TB ( 3x Seagate 1TB & 1... EK Supreme HF (acteal/nickel) Phobya NB Eloop fans  Windows 7 
PowerCaseOtherOther
antec BP 550w SM8 ST30 240 UT60 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+  3450 gskill DDR3-1600 Western Digital  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Western Digital  Corsair H50 corsair SP120 Windows 7 
Case
Caselab M8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoddimusPrime View Post
While this may be premature, I am going to be planning on building a new computer in Q1 and either upgrading or building another computer in the summer when Bulldozer comes out.

Now I don't know if Bulldozer will be priced right or if it will really be the end all be all of processors, but it seems that Intel's next line starts really ramping in up in January and AMD in the summer and those are the good times to jump on board and build a new PC. I was really hoping the next line of processors would include a GPU on the CPU. Oh well.

Anyway, Bulldozer will be an AM3 socket processor as I have heard and thus keeping an eye out for certain boards and pricing isn't a bad idea starting now. I will want USB 3.0, DDR3, SATA 6.0 ports (not a big deal, but if it is standard or not much extra then cool), room for a 2 graphic cards, audio card, and maybe tuner card. eSATA ports are a plus, but I have yet to use them. Beyond that of course I want good bridge chip sets, bandwidths, and quality. I don't want green or blue PCB if possible (again, not huge).

Thanks in advance.
Bulldozer won't be AM3, it will be AM3+ and it's not a socket you can "upgrade" to with a BIOs update like AM2/AM2+ could to accept AM3 processors. However AM3+ can accept AM3 CPUs but AM3 Mobos cannot accept AM3+,
Intel Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i5 2500k] [ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M] [EVGA GTX 560] [Kingston HyperX 8GB] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Samsung F4 320gb] [Lite-On 24x Combo] [Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit] [Samsung SyncMaster 941bw] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Microsft ANB-00001] [SeaSonic 520w M12II] [ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Box] [Logitech G700] 
Mouse Pad
[Walmart Brand - Cloth Black] 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i5 2500k] [ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M] [EVGA GTX 560] [Kingston HyperX 8GB] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Samsung F4 320gb] [Lite-On 24x Combo] [Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit] [Samsung SyncMaster 941bw] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Microsft ANB-00001] [SeaSonic 520w M12II] [ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Box] [Logitech G700] 
Mouse Pad
[Walmart Brand - Cloth Black] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvjavs View Post
Bulldozer won't be AM3, it will be AM3+ and it's not a socket you can "upgrade" to with a BIOs update like AM2/AM2+ could to accept AM3 processors. However AM3+ can accept AM3 CPUs but AM3 Mobos cannot accept AM3+,
That is good to know. It should have higher memory channel support. The X6's were still stuck on dual channel because of the limitations of the previous socket, AM2+ which it was backwards compatible with.
Sabertooth
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k @4.5 GHz Asus Z87 Pro PowerColor R9 290X BF4 Edition Corsair/G.Skill 16GB @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB  Samsung HD502HJ 500GB Samsung HD501LJ 500GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-ON 24X CD/DVD Burner  Antec H20 620 w/ AP-15 Push-Pull Windows 7 Pro  Acer G276HL 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Keyboard Pro w/ MX Blues Corsair HX850 Cooler Master HAF 922 Microsoft IE 3.0 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Sabertooth
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k @4.5 GHz Asus Z87 Pro PowerColor R9 290X BF4 Edition Corsair/G.Skill 16GB @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB  Samsung HD502HJ 500GB Samsung HD501LJ 500GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-ON 24X CD/DVD Burner  Antec H20 620 w/ AP-15 Push-Pull Windows 7 Pro  Acer G276HL 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Keyboard Pro w/ MX Blues Corsair HX850 Cooler Master HAF 922 Microsoft IE 3.0 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by axizor View Post
That is good to know. It should have higher memory channel support. The X6's were still stuck on dual channel because of the limitations of the previous socket, AM2+ which it was backwards compatible with.
It's still going to be dual channel. There's no real need for triple channel unless you have a rendering farm or something going 24/7 with data processing.
Intel Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i5 2500k] [ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M] [EVGA GTX 560] [Kingston HyperX 8GB] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Samsung F4 320gb] [Lite-On 24x Combo] [Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit] [Samsung SyncMaster 941bw] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Microsft ANB-00001] [SeaSonic 520w M12II] [ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Box] [Logitech G700] 
Mouse Pad
[Walmart Brand - Cloth Black] 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i5 2500k] [ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M] [EVGA GTX 560] [Kingston HyperX 8GB] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Samsung F4 320gb] [Lite-On 24x Combo] [Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit] [Samsung SyncMaster 941bw] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Microsft ANB-00001] [SeaSonic 520w M12II] [ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Box] [Logitech G700] 
Mouse Pad
[Walmart Brand - Cloth Black] 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Looking for a good quality AM3+ Mobo. Recommendations?