Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [BBC] Microsoft warns on IE browser bug
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[BBC] Microsoft warns on IE browser bug - Page 6

post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
The fact that IE has a dominate position in the pie graph of browser market share plays a part, but it's not the sole reason it's attacked. Back in the XP days, it was a browser that had kernel access. Compromise the browser, you compromise the system.

IF MS has any collective intelligence, that has been fixed though.
you pretty smart about things...


i guess the moral of this thread is that if people are ignorant and dont care they arent going to care if people try to show them a better way that is just as easy and not compromising.
i see this everyday whether its about computers or other things, some people suck at the the tit inferiority when they can have much more but dont, it would not cost anyone including themselves to change. but in the end they cost everyone free choice because they wont evolve what they do slightly.
good for you
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
iI5 655k oc the crap outa RiP DFI iTX now GiGaByTE Asus 4870x2 TriFan 2x1GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
150GB VelociRaptor W7 x64 Gateway DiamondTron NF CRT not proud of it 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
600Watt SilverStone SilverStone Sugo SG07 iTX not proud of it Xtract RipperXL 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
iI5 655k oc the crap outa RiP DFI iTX now GiGaByTE Asus 4870x2 TriFan 2x1GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
150GB VelociRaptor W7 x64 Gateway DiamondTron NF CRT not proud of it 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
600Watt SilverStone SilverStone Sugo SG07 iTX not proud of it Xtract RipperXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 73
I love Opera over all other browsers. I've never used Chrome and have no intention of using it either and I don't like Firefox, though my wife loves it. Each to their own and I agree that speed is irrelevant, as my connection is holding me back and not my browser.
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroman View Post
I hate the clicking noise IE makes
Turn it off then
post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
What if it's true? Like the fact that Chrome is run in a sandbox?

The common problem all infections have are naive users. Gone are the days of drive by infections being the most common form of infection. Now, it's all socially engineered, so you think your getting free AV software, but really all your getting is a free trip to the computer repair shop [or a phone call to the nearest tech geek].
did you just miss the first part of the sentence or just bolded the part that woud fit your argument?
Green Lantern
(18 items)
 
 
The Router 3.0
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 920 3.8GHz 1.25v HT Asus P6T XFX 5870 XFX 5780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston HyperX Intel X25-M 80GB G2 10Tb iSCSI Lite-On 1635S 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Asus PA246 Logitech G15 v1 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 1000HX Lian Li v1000+ Logitech G5 v1 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
Other
Intel Pro/1000 PT Server Adapter 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon L5335 Intel Xeon L5335 Intel 5000P ATI ES1000 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
Elpida ECC WD20NPVT SmartOS HP 350W + Hot Spare 
Case
HP Proliant 380 G5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ nForce 3 250 2 GB 512MB CF To IDE 
OSCaseOtherOther
pfSense 2.0.1 x64 Shuttle XPC Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server A... Verizon FiOS 75/35Mbit 
  hide details  
Reply
Green Lantern
(18 items)
 
 
The Router 3.0
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 920 3.8GHz 1.25v HT Asus P6T XFX 5870 XFX 5780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston HyperX Intel X25-M 80GB G2 10Tb iSCSI Lite-On 1635S 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Asus PA246 Logitech G15 v1 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 1000HX Lian Li v1000+ Logitech G5 v1 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
Other
Intel Pro/1000 PT Server Adapter 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon L5335 Intel Xeon L5335 Intel 5000P ATI ES1000 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
Elpida ECC WD20NPVT SmartOS HP 350W + Hot Spare 
Case
HP Proliant 380 G5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ nForce 3 250 2 GB 512MB CF To IDE 
OSCaseOtherOther
pfSense 2.0.1 x64 Shuttle XPC Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server A... Verizon FiOS 75/35Mbit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrazeau1115 View Post
Same with me, I still use IE. Its such a joke that people are so high and mighty about not using IE. I hate the way firefox loads pages, interface of Chrome drives me nuts and I dont use plugins for anything, so why shouldnt I use IE?
It's not hatred or even an elitist attitude. IE is slow and using it on the web is like wearing a frekin bullseye. Try using either FF or Chrome with an adblock plugin and you'll wonder how you ever browsed the web without it.
post #56 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrazeau1115 View Post
Faster for a browser is all relative, when loading times are so close that its goes almsot unnoticed it doesnt matter that its faster. Besides the fact that the average user and even advance users (like myself) dont care about customizing our browsers. And the secure browsers argument is a vassle argument, just like people who argue that Apple is more secure, its less to do with security and more to do with popularity.
I agree with Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc the difference is tiny.

But IE is just god-damn slow, even if the pages load fast, it takes a few seconds for it to respond on my PC when I open a new tab whereas Firefox or Chrome only do that if I open 100 new tabs.

And, no, it's not, in Windows, anything can be run with administrator privileges, in OS X/Linux, most of the time, it isn't unless the user makes it get run with them.

Also, I'm an advanced user, I care about customizing my browser, as do most of this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_0ctogon View Post
Attachment 186372
Attachment 186375

I'll just leave these here.

I don't even use IE, but I don't like ignorant statements.
The severity of the security holes matters, not the quantity, I could have software with many holes that only let you access a specific file (Say, notepad.exe) on a certain date for one minute, but if someone only has one bug that lets you get full control of a system..Yeah, I'd rather the notepad bug, not to mention, IE is used most...Hence, it gets attacked most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrazeau1115 View Post
Ill go through point by point:

1) I dont doubt that on specific systems something may preform better or not, but in my situation there is no difference in load times that are noticable, so when someone blindly mentions that one is faster than another, the true question is: Does it really matter? In my case, not at all.

2) I dont care how many themes and extensions the other browsers have. I don't have a use for them. I dislike themes as I prefer the overall Windows Aero look and I have no need nor want for other extensions. I dont care that AdBlock has 100+ million downloads, how does that effect me at all?

3) About no one going after Chrome due to sandbox doesnt prove that its more secure, just that its reputation is that it adds more security. But this is just like the DRM argument for protecting games and movies. Companies can try and make their products 'more secure'. That doesnt mean someone wont find away around it. And at the moment hackers are very content hitting the biggest target market with their code, and that is not Chrome.
1) I have no idea how you cannot tell the difference in just general usage, I can and my rig is far inferior to yours...

2) Why don't you want extensions? They improve the browsing experience...That stinks to me in the same way hearing about RMS using wget and email to view webpages does...

3) Sandbox = 99% of current viruses won't work...This is an irrefutable fact, just like OS X or Linux being more secure than Windows, it's the design that makes it so much more secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Killer View Post
did you just miss the first part of the sentence or just bolded the part that woud fit your argument?
It's the same as the people who say Mac OS X is safer due to marketshare...People who say that obviously haven't looked at the design of it, look up how it works, make sure you understand it, then come back and say that IE is more secure, because I bet that once you do that...You sure as hell will not believe IE is anywhere nearly as secure as Chrome.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Killer View Post
did you just miss the first part of the sentence or just bolded the part that woud fit your argument?
The "everything is vulnerable, people only attack popular software" argument has been refuted so many times, it's not worth wasting time on. If you honestly think that argument holds weight, I have a bridge in the desert to sell you.
post #58 of 73
Instead of wasting time making this press release, why don't they just fix it? Im sure they have hundreds of people who work on IE, and im sure any one of them could do it.
post #59 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
It's the same as the people who say Mac OS X is safer due to marketshare...People who say that obviously haven't looked at the design of it, look up how it works, make sure you understand it, then come back and say that IE is more secure, because I bet that once you do that...You sure as hell will not believe IE is anywhere nearly as secure as Chrome.
At this point Im just going to respond to this, as I see there is no comprimising between my views and a few other peoples views on here (not to bash you, Im glad if FF and Chrome work for you. For me however IE is just a better fit).

However Ill leave you with this scenario. Your a computer hacker trying to get your malware onto computers. You have a history of being able to beat the average browser and along comes this new browser named Chrome with this new security feature that your code currently cant beat. You have 2 basic options:

1- Keep targeting the browsers your used to because you dont need to start again to break it, instead optimize your attacks to beat security you already know about.

2- Target the smaller share of users using a browser with security that is different. Spend lots of time trying to develope code to exploit the holes in the new security and pray it works.

Hopefuly you can see that yes, Chrome has a better security system but because it has such a small user base compared to all other browsers its always going to be 'better' because there is no reason to try and reach the smaller number of users and develop completely new methods. If you are experienced with writting any type of code you will understand why its a pain in the ass to through all your old work away and try something new when your entire goal is to reach as many users as possible as easily as possible.

(Edit: Dont think I clearly ended this example)

Just because the secruity is better now doesnt mean it is without flaws. Coding is a difficult thing to make compeletly secrue. I promise you that no matter how good any type of security is, eventually it will be beat. But if no one is activly trying beat it, then its always going to look better. All new security means is new methods of beating it.

First you could crack games by just copying the .exe from the CD. Then you needed to generate a number to install correctly. Now in some cases you have to install patches to make it work. New methods of DRM didnt make things more secure, it just made hackers find new ways around it.

That is what I am trying to get at.
Edited by cbrazeau1115 - 12/24/10 at 3:35pm
Sokar
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.75 GHz EVGA x58 3x SLI EVGA 670 4GB 12GB Samsung PC3 12800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Cruical M4 WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Seagate 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom WC Loop Windows 7 x64 x3 Dell U2312HM I-ROCKS KR-6820E-BK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra x3 1000w Danger Den Torture Rack Razer Deathadder Black Razer Goliathis 
AudioAudioAudio
Inifitity P153 Speakers Lepai TA202A Amp Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
Sokar
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.75 GHz EVGA x58 3x SLI EVGA 670 4GB 12GB Samsung PC3 12800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Cruical M4 WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Seagate 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom WC Loop Windows 7 x64 x3 Dell U2312HM I-ROCKS KR-6820E-BK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra x3 1000w Danger Den Torture Rack Razer Deathadder Black Razer Goliathis 
AudioAudioAudio
Inifitity P153 Speakers Lepai TA202A Amp Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 73
Quote:
IF MS has any collective intelligence, that has been fixed though.
AFAIK ActiveX still allows this. Kernel hooks and what have you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [BBC] Microsoft warns on IE browser bug