Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PG] Eve Online at “Bleeding edge of what you can do today”
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PG] Eve Online at “Bleeding edge of what you can do today” - Page 8

post #71 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
What other game do you play that has steep consequences for losing in a pvp fight? If you're in an expensive T2 ship with faction modules, and it gets blown up, you lose it. Period. Then, if your escape pod can't get away in time, you lose your implants [and if your clone isn't up to date, you lose skillpoints as well].

The thing that makes eve different than any other MMO is the fact that it's a sandbox. Player corporations and the friends / rivals they make are what make the game what it is. If all you do is do missions all day, it's no wonder you think World of PVE is a better MMO.
What's wrong with wow's pvp? I think wow's arena system along with occasional battlegrounds is nice. Since you're rewarded for your skills rather than having to worry about whether or not to engage in pvp everyday.
Donkey
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.7 @ 1.4v SABERTOOTH 990FX Radeon HD 5770 OCZ 2gb 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ 2gb Samsung F3 1TB Pheonix gskill 60gb Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 LG IPS236 G15 Antec Truepower New 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT Hades G5 Asus Xonar D2X 
  hide details  
Reply
Donkey
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.7 @ 1.4v SABERTOOTH 990FX Radeon HD 5770 OCZ 2gb 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ 2gb Samsung F3 1TB Pheonix gskill 60gb Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 LG IPS236 G15 Antec Truepower New 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT Hades G5 Asus Xonar D2X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
What's wrong with wow's pvp? I think wow's arena system along with occasional battlegrounds is nice. Since you're rewarded for your skills rather than having to worry about whether or not to engage in pvp everyday.
if you dont want pvp like wow's. instanced with no consequences then there is something wrong with it.

Some people, me included want a challenge and want to be punished for losing/messing up. When you have to worry about losing things when you die, it entirely changes how you play the game and how you feel. There is nothing epic about beating a boss when if you die you simply have res sickness. Now if you die and lose an item. Defeating that boss then becomes a challenge and epic, because you have something on the line other than dieing and fighting him again.

I personally believe in losing levels, items, item durability etc in an mmo. There should always be a life expectancy on every single item. That way you have to choose whether to use it or save it for big battles.

Class loot and loot tables are the biggest load of dung in mmos also. They completely remove the excitement of random loot tables with randomized items. With Random item generation, you can always be on the look out for an even better weapon. And then add in item durability. You know that your time is limited with this super badass weapon and should enjoy it, and always keep on the look out for more.

Games like Wow are for the casual. Games like Eve are for people that want to actually have some sort of accomplishment and progression. Risk vs Reward. Wow has no risk, Eve has it all, all the time pretty much.

Different games for different people though. I prefer lots of risk. I want to get jumped by a group of bandits who kill me and loot my body. Then i want to get my friends together and hunt them down.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
if you dont want pvp like wow's. instanced with no consequences then there is something wrong with it.

Some people, me included want a challenge and want to be punished for losing/messing up. When you have to worry about losing things when you die, it entirely changes how you play the game and how you feel. There is nothing epic about beating a boss when if you die you simply have res sickness. Now if you die and lose an item. Defeating that boss then becomes a challenge and epic, because you have something on the line other than dieing and fighting him again.

I personally believe in losing levels, items, item durability etc in an mmo. There should always be a life expectancy on every single item. That way you have to choose whether to use it or save it for big battles.

Class loot and loot tables are the biggest load of dung in mmos also. They completely remove the excitement of random loot tables with randomized items. With Random item generation, you can always be on the look out for an even better weapon. And then add in item durability. You know that your time is limited with this super badass weapon and should enjoy it, and always keep on the look out for more.

Games like Wow are for the casual. Games like Eve are for people that want to actually have some sort of accomplishment and progression. Risk vs Reward. Wow has no risk, Eve has it all, all the time pretty much.

Different games for different people though. I prefer lots of risk. I want to get jumped by a group of bandits who kill me and loot my body. Then i want to get my friends together and hunt them down.
Very well put.

Ultima Online was a bit like that - if you were killed you could be stripped of ALL that your cadaver carries.
I tried EvE... I enjoyed it very much but did not have the time to put the required effort into it.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
if you dont want pvp like wow's. instanced with no consequences then there is something wrong with it.

Some people, me included want a challenge and want to be punished for losing/messing up. When you have to worry about losing things when you die, it entirely changes how you play the game and how you feel. There is nothing epic about beating a boss when if you die you simply have res sickness. Now if you die and lose an item. Defeating that boss then becomes a challenge and epic, because you have something on the line other than dieing and fighting him again.

I personally believe in losing levels, items, item durability etc in an mmo. There should always be a life expectancy on every single item. That way you have to choose whether to use it or save it for big battles.

Class loot and loot tables are the biggest load of dung in mmos also. They completely remove the excitement of random loot tables with randomized items. With Random item generation, you can always be on the look out for an even better weapon. And then add in item durability. You know that your time is limited with this super badass weapon and should enjoy it, and always keep on the look out for more.

Games like Wow are for the casual. Games like Eve are for people that want to actually have some sort of accomplishment and progression. Risk vs Reward. Wow has no risk, Eve has it all, all the time pretty much.

Different games for different people though. I prefer lots of risk. I want to get jumped by a group of bandits who kill me and loot my body. Then i want to get my friends together and hunt them down.
+1

Dying in Lineage 2 could sometimes cost you HOURS of work. When in battle you felt more like you were fighting for your life - I've never felt that level of adrenaline in any other game since.
Blitz II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 GTX 660Ti 4GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
600GB (2x300GB Velociraptors RAID0) Windows 10 24" ASUS VW246H Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750HX Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 G5/DeathAdder Desk 
Audio
Yamaha H80M + HS10W 
  hide details  
Reply
Blitz II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 GTX 660Ti 4GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
600GB (2x300GB Velociraptors RAID0) Windows 10 24" ASUS VW246H Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750HX Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 G5/DeathAdder Desk 
Audio
Yamaha H80M + HS10W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
What's wrong with wow's pvp? I think wow's arena system along with occasional battlegrounds is nice. Since you're rewarded for your skills rather than having to worry about whether or not to engage in pvp everyday.
Everyone else has hit the point right on the head, but to emphasize, last night, I was out looking to gank mission runners in high sec space. I honed in on a Fed Navy Dominix, and he took the bait.

He ended up losing a 500 million ISK ship [Killmail]. Flat out gone. And I got some of the modules on it and sold them for a profit. IF I had lost my ship trying to kill him, I would have been down alot less, like maybe 50 million ISK.

What do you lose in wow if your questing and get ganked? The few minutes it takes you to get back to your body and a little weapon durability if you tried to fight back.
post #76 of 82
Also consider the amount of people, kids and adults, that just dont have the time or the motivation to sit down and regrind for hrs or days if u die or loose items from failure. Goes both ways.
The Gaming Beast!
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3770k 4.6 1.22v Delidded Asus Maximus V Formula GTX 780 Superclocked ACX TridentX 16gb 8x2 2400Mhz 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G.skill Turbulence III Cooler Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Corsair H80i Win 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE 144HZ 1MS Corsair K70 RBG Cherry MX Red Corsair AX860i Haf X 942 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Steelseries Rival SteelSeries QCK heavy+ XXL And Razer Goliathus Steelseries Siberia v2 Blue Aux Headset G27 With Wheelstand Pro 
Other
FC9 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
The Gaming Beast!
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3770k 4.6 1.22v Delidded Asus Maximus V Formula GTX 780 Superclocked ACX TridentX 16gb 8x2 2400Mhz 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G.skill Turbulence III Cooler Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Corsair H80i Win 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE 144HZ 1MS Corsair K70 RBG Cherry MX Red Corsair AX860i Haf X 942 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Steelseries Rival SteelSeries QCK heavy+ XXL And Razer Goliathus Steelseries Siberia v2 Blue Aux Headset G27 With Wheelstand Pro 
Other
FC9 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
What do you lose in wow if your questing and get ganked? The few minutes it takes you to get back to your body and a little weapon durability if you tried to fight back.
People should really stop comparing these games, they're totally different. Eve is a virtual world and WoW is strictly a game. What defines the difference? In my eyes it's consequence. The main difference between games and real life is having consequences for your actions.
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 82
Can it make me a sandwich? No?

I see no "bleeding edge" here.
Ol' Faithful
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core Duo T2600 (2.16 GHz) Geforce Go 7950 GTX 2GB @ 667 MHz 100GB 7200 RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
8x CD/DVD burner with Dual-Layer Windows 7 WUXGA Truelife (1920 x 1200) None (borked) 
Mouse
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5600 DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
Ol' Faithful
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core Duo T2600 (2.16 GHz) Geforce Go 7950 GTX 2GB @ 667 MHz 100GB 7200 RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
8x CD/DVD burner with Dual-Layer Windows 7 WUXGA Truelife (1920 x 1200) None (borked) 
Mouse
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5600 DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtech View Post
People should really stop comparing these games, they're totally different. Eve is a virtual world and WoW is strictly a game. What defines the difference? In my eyes it's consequence. The main difference between games and real life is having consequences for your actions.
That is indeed a very interesting way of looking at it. But both are games made to immerse the player in a fantasy world, I guess the real difference you're getting at is the difference in how far each game takes it.

I disagree that the games shouldn't be compared, though, because they both try to accomplish the same thing [creating a virtual world to immerse the player].
post #80 of 82
meh, this game is on the "bleeding edge" the same way a tampon is.
Current PC
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4690k Asrock z97 Pro4 MSI GTX 970 G. Skill TridentX DDR3 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Caviar Black 1TB WD 640GB Hitachi 1TB Intel 128GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
DVD-RW drive Corsair h50 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 23.6 inch Asus 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance k90 Corsair 750W Cooler Master Chassis CM690 Roccat Kone XTD 
Audio
Creative Xfi XtremeGamer 
  hide details  
Reply
Current PC
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4690k Asrock z97 Pro4 MSI GTX 970 G. Skill TridentX DDR3 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Caviar Black 1TB WD 640GB Hitachi 1TB Intel 128GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
DVD-RW drive Corsair h50 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 23.6 inch Asus 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance k90 Corsair 750W Cooler Master Chassis CM690 Roccat Kone XTD 
Audio
Creative Xfi XtremeGamer 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PG] Eve Online at “Bleeding edge of what you can do today”