Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › So two 6950s unlocked to 6970s for $590 > GTX580 SLI?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So two 6950s unlocked to 6970s for $590 > GTX580 SLI? - Page 14  

post #131 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
No ... because what if the unlock actually damages the card to the point that it no longer works PERIOD ... with the 6970 bios on it? You'll never be able to remove it before you RMA because the card is dead. In fact, even if it completely died for any reason ... say, in 6 months time ...
you could run into this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slytown View Post
Did you look at the success rates? And you can just FLASH back?
Not if the card is completely dead you can't just flash back. I'm not saying it *will* cause the card to die, I'm saying ... cards can die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrices View Post
No, because it has an unwritable BIOS backup, so if your 6950 "completely dies" it will not be because it was flashed it to a 6970.

I like how you fall back from "your card will explode if you turn it into a 6970" to "well if it dies for whatever reason you're still screwed."
What the hell are you talking about dude? As you can see above, the FIRST POST I MADE I said the same thing. I never said it's going to die from the flash. I was responding to someone saying that the WORST CASE SCENARIO is that if something goes wrong, you just flash it back and RMA.

My point is, was, and has ALWAYS BEEN ... IF the card completely dies, FOR WHATEVER REASON, you MAY NOT BE ABLE to remove the 6970 bios from your card, thus possibly jeopardizing your RMA. This is the ACTUAL worst-case scenario.

Are you following me yet?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
post #132 of 149
Thread Starter 
What is painfully clear is that this was a huge blunder by AMD. It's like you are getting $70 free for every 6950 you buy. Now AMD will lose a ton of money on this! Bad for AMD, good for us!

Only thing is people in the industry have stated that there will be corrected measures, specifically laser cutting to disable the shaders.

Word of advice: buy now and fast before the unlockable ones are sold out.

Pro Tip: It has to be a reference 6950 to unlock to 6970.
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
post #133 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Not if the card is completely dead you can't just flash back. I'm not saying it *will* cause the card to die, I'm saying ... cards can die.



What the hell are you talking about dude? As you can see above, the FIRST POST I MADE I said the same thing. I never said it's going to die from the flash. I was responding to someone saying that the WORST CASE SCENARIO is that if something goes wrong, you just flash it back and RMA.

My point is, was, and has ALWAYS BEEN ... IF the card completely dies, FOR WHATEVER REASON, you MAY NOT BE ABLE to remove the 6970 bios from your card, thus possibly jeopardizing your RMA. This is the ACTUAL worst-case scenario.

Are you following me yet?
Honestly you are embarrassing yourself. The first part of the first post you made is, and I quote verbatim:

"
No ... because what if the unlock actually damages the card to the point that it no longer works PERIOD ... with the 6970 bios on it? You'll never be able to remove it before you RMA because the card is dead."

So how can you claim that you never said the unlock might damage the card and thus invalidate RMA...when that is exactly what you said?
Big Bertha MKII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 @ 4.0 P7 P55 WS 580 Tri-SLI + GT 240 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
90GB Vertex 2 SSD + 1TB F3 Asus BD-ROM 3 x Asus VG236 (120hz/3D) Antec HCP-1200 
Case
Corsair 700D + window 
  hide details  
Big Bertha MKII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 @ 4.0 P7 P55 WS 580 Tri-SLI + GT 240 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
90GB Vertex 2 SSD + 1TB F3 Asus BD-ROM 3 x Asus VG236 (120hz/3D) Antec HCP-1200 
Case
Corsair 700D + window 
  hide details  
post #134 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Not if the card is completely dead you can't just flash back. I'm not saying it *will* cause the card to die, I'm saying ... cards can die.
How is that a slight against the unlocked cards then? That's a slight against any card. As long as the card is supplied the power, it shouldn't die just changing the BIOS. The issue is overclocking without the 8-pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus View Post
What is painfully clear is that this was a huge blunder by AMD. It's like you are getting $70 free for every 6950 you buy. Now AMD will lose a ton of money on this! Bad for AMD, good for us!

Only thing is people in the industry have stated that there will be corrected measures, specifically laser cutting to disable the shaders.

Word of advice: buy now and fast before the unlockable ones are sold out.

Pro Tip: It has to be a reference 6950 to unlock to 6970.
Not much of a blunder, considering how many people here complain about losing their RMAs. Still, if they do lasercut, this will be a very scarce, sought after card.
Edited by slytown - 12/28/10 at 10:20am
Spaghetti II
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 870 @ 3.88, 1.38v] [Asus P7P55 LX (1201)] [2x XFX 6870 (900/4200)] [Crucial Ballistix 4GB] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
[WD Black 1TB + LacieUSB 320] Megahalem + 2x FM121s [W7 Home Premium 64] [Samsung BX2440] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Ducky 9008G2, Brown] [Silverstone DA750] [Lian-Li PC 7B Plus II] [Razer Deathadder 3.5G] 
Mouse PadAudio
[Steelseries SX Aluminum] [AudioGD Compass/AKG Q701] 
  hide details  
Spaghetti II
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 870 @ 3.88, 1.38v] [Asus P7P55 LX (1201)] [2x XFX 6870 (900/4200)] [Crucial Ballistix 4GB] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
[WD Black 1TB + LacieUSB 320] Megahalem + 2x FM121s [W7 Home Premium 64] [Samsung BX2440] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Ducky 9008G2, Brown] [Silverstone DA750] [Lian-Li PC 7B Plus II] [Razer Deathadder 3.5G] 
Mouse PadAudio
[Steelseries SX Aluminum] [AudioGD Compass/AKG Q701] 
  hide details  
post #135 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slytown View Post
Not much of a blunder, considering how many people here complain about losing their RMAs. Still, if they do lasercut, this will be a very scarce, sought after card.
Oh that's guaranteed. They are getting sold out left and right. Not good. Just a matter of time before we start seeing people mad about how they got one with the disabled shaders as well.
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
post #136 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrices View Post
Honestly you are embarrassing yourself. The first part of the first post you made is, and I quote verbatim:

"
No ... because what if the unlock actually damages the card to the point that it no longer works PERIOD ... with the 6970 bios on it? You'll never be able to remove it before you RMA because the card is dead."

So how can you claim that you never said the unlock might damage the card and thus invalidate RMA...when that is exactly what you said?
Dude, read the whole friggin post. The point I was always trying to make is that if the card dies, for WHATEVER REASON, you could put your RMA in jeopardy. Look, you're sitting here talking to someone running UNLOCKED cards right now. My last setup was 5850's in Crossfire, the whole time I had them I ran 5870 bios on them. You really think I'm going to sit here and tell people that their cards are going to explode from flashing the bios? Gimme a fricking break

Quote:
Originally Posted by slytown View Post
How is that a slight against the unlocked cards then? That's a slight against any card. As long as the card is supplied the power, it shouldn't die just changing the BIOS. The issue is overclocking without the 8-pin.
It's not a slight against unlocked cards, it's a 'slight', if you wanna call it that, regarding modifying your bios period. Someone said the worst case scenario is that you flash it back. That IS NOT THE WORST CASE SCENARIO when you flash a card w/a different bios. What I described is the actual worst-case scenario.

Now, do you both GET THIS SIMPLE POINT, or do I need to explain it a 5th frickin time
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
post #137 of 149
i posted on AMD site asking about their mistake and the thread got deleted within half an hour
post #138 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
That IS NOT THE WORST CASE SCENARIO when you flash a card w/a different bios. What I described is the actual worst-case scenario.

Now, do you both GET THIS SIMPLE POINT, or do I need to explain it a 5th frickin time
You should understand that this card has a dual bios, with the main bios being unwritable. You cannot kill the card by flashing with a legitimate 6970 bios. If you get a bad flash, simply flip the switch and your good to go.
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
post #139 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus View Post
You should understand that this card has a dual bios, with the main bios being unwritable. You cannot kill the card by flashing with a legitimate 6970 bios. If you get a bad flash, simply flip the switch and your good to go.
He knows.
黒天使
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 XFX Radeon HD5850 1GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz CL9 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB WD Caviar Black WD2001FASS WD Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate ST4000VN000 Samsung SH-S223F Windows 8.1 x64 Dell P2210H 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell P2210H Fujitsu Siemens L3220T Corsair Vengeance K60 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D Logitech G600 SteelSeries I-2 Steelseries Siberia V2 
  hide details  
黒天使
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 XFX Radeon HD5850 1GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz CL9 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB WD Caviar Black WD2001FASS WD Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate ST4000VN000 Samsung SH-S223F Windows 8.1 x64 Dell P2210H 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell P2210H Fujitsu Siemens L3220T Corsair Vengeance K60 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D Logitech G600 SteelSeries I-2 Steelseries Siberia V2 
  hide details  
post #140 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chranny View Post
He knows.
Does he also know that the reference 6950 is identical to the 6970 other than the bios?
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › So two 6950s unlocked to 6970s for $590 > GTX580 SLI?