Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [MTFans] Lawsuit Filed Against Apple, App Developers, for “Intrusive Tracking”
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[MTFans] Lawsuit Filed Against Apple, App Developers, for “Intrusive Tracking” - Page 6

post #51 of 62
There's got to be something in the TOS that gives them immunity to this sort of thing.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition ASUS M4A79XTD EVO XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 1600/12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WDC Caviar Black 500GB 3.0Gb/s ASUS DRW-24B1ST Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SAMSUNG SyncMaster P2350-1 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15, Rev 1 XFX Black Edition P1 750W XIGMATEK Elysium Logitech Somethingorother 
Audio
ASUS Xonar D1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition ASUS M4A79XTD EVO XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 1600/12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WDC Caviar Black 500GB 3.0Gb/s ASUS DRW-24B1ST Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SAMSUNG SyncMaster P2350-1 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15, Rev 1 XFX Black Edition P1 750W XIGMATEK Elysium Logitech Somethingorother 
Audio
ASUS Xonar D1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
I have a five year old iPod. I haven't used iTunes in years, it's such a piece of **** software. I will never buy another, and never will I touch a crApple product again. I have used Macs and I hate them too, overpriced nonsense, restricted for control only.



Apple: the inventors of the iGrip!

Apples one and only achievement's been successful advertisement, nothing more. Their hardware is no better than anyone else's, their OS's less than mediocre and their service terrible. They steadfastly refused to admit their antenna's design was bad, in the hope the bad publicity would go away. Only when it didn't did Apple admit they'd made a mistake.
Wow, that's your only ammunition for an argument? Pretty pathetic.

Let's not forget that they're the one that brought the mouse to the market, the GUI, hell, computers for the average user. The iPod may not have been the first MP3 player, but it was and is still the best. Everyone else tries to copy its formula. USB? Firewire? Ever hear of those? Yup, those were pushed by Apple. Printers? Powerful laptops? OS X has had several features that Windows still doesn't have for nearly 10 years, things that should be included in an OS like ISO support. Though Windows 7 is a huge advancement for Microsoft and is the best OS they've released to date, don't for a second think that most of what's in it wasn't inspired by Apple.

Give credit where credit is due.
post #53 of 62
Apple ftl. Oranges ftw
post #54 of 62
Nothing really new. IMO, the fault is with the user. When I download and install an app, it clearly states it will track and share information on my phone, including location. Either accept it, or dont. Most people dont even bother to read it, they just accept. Dont like it, keep your GPS turned off, and set up your personal security properly.
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Overclocker/Gamer View Post
Google FTW. Screw you apple.
Firstly I have an EVO and a Tab. No iOS products. Now I wouldn't really say Google FTW. They are in a similar boat.

They have apps that track just like iOS but they wont get sued because they don't actually look at what apps are added. This means without a policing body like what the WSJ did or a handful of other sites, no one would know what kind of tracking the apps are doing on Android. Still, I like Android more.
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Wow, that's your only ammunition for an argument? Pretty pathetic.

Let's not forget that they're the one that brought the mouse to the market, the GUI, hell, computers for the average user. The iPod may not have been the first MP3 player, but it was and is still the best. Everyone else tries to copy its formula. USB? Firewire? Ever hear of those? Yup, those were pushed by Apple. Printers? Powerful laptops? OS X has had several features that Windows still doesn't have for nearly 10 years, things that should be included in an OS like ISO support. Though Windows 7 is a huge advancement for Microsoft and is the best OS they've released to date, don't for a second think that most of what's in it wasn't inspired by Apple.

Give credit where credit is due.
I had to fact check this. Not meant as an attack.

Mouse - Apple reintroduced the mouse but with only one button in 1984, the original mouse was invented in 1963 by Douglas Englebart. So it was in use to some degree before Apple. They did not bring it to market unless you only count Magic Mouse as being a mouse.

GUI - With out quantification, I believed you to mean they were the first to create an OS with a GUI. Correct me if you meant otherwise. There were various other companies that had developed a GUI before Apple but it was the Xerox Alto that had a 'desktop' based GUI that was widely(a relative amount to the time frame) used. Once again this was brought about by the work of Douglas Englebart.

Computers to average consumer - Apple was beat out by the Altair and IBM 5100 in 1974. But let me clarify, these were systems that while available for purchase by the general public required the user to create the programs themselves. Apple didn't get their competing product out till a year later. With that said though, Apple did have the first commercially successful personal computer with a GUI in 1984. Kudos to Apple.

Now for personal debate.
The iPod being the best is an opinion. Plain and simple. I'm glad you enjoy the product so much. Apple is more glad.

USB was most certainly pushed by Apple so I give my thanks there but their need for a proprietary in house connector, firewire, I feel helped slow the growth of USB. For the longest time you had consumers torn because so many products of the time used for production, cameras for example, were Firewire or USB and as someone who has worked in retail, to this day, consumers still have issues with understanding they are two freaking different interfaces....RAGE! Me: Consumer:

Printers please enlighten me on this one. I didn't do much research on it.

Powerful laptops is relative. After dropping PowerPC chips for standard x86/AMD64 Intels, they became just incredibly overpriced laptops. Yes they have an OS that is unique and that is their only saving grace. I do have a Macbook Pro that I got from work and while nice to look at, the feature that Apple really bases their pricing on, it gets crazy hot and it makes me not want to push this 'powerful' machine. Granted this is one of the Core2Duo models which are known for being a bit toasty. Looking at their most recent line, I personally don't see a reason to drop the cash on a Macbook Pro when I could get a far more powerful laptop with Windows. Preference!

As for the OS debate, I will only say this, don't for a second think that Apple and Microsoft don't have a friendly rivalry in which they have inspired each other.

Thank you and good night!...er...morning!...huzzah!
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Wow, that's your only ammunition for an argument? Pretty pathetic.

Let's not forget that they're the one that brought the mouse to the market, the GUI, hell, computers for the average user. The iPod may not have been the first MP3 player, but it was and is still the best. Everyone else tries to copy its formula. USB? Firewire? Ever hear of those? Yup, those were pushed by Apple. Printers? Powerful laptops? OS X has had several features that Windows still doesn't have for nearly 10 years, things that should be included in an OS like ISO support. Though Windows 7 is a huge advancement for Microsoft and is the best OS they've released to date, don't for a second think that most of what's in it wasn't inspired by Apple.

Give credit where credit is due.
Apple did what with the mouse? USB and Firewire pushed by Apple? Win 7 inspired by Apple?

Soon you're going to say Apple created OSX out of thin air and Apple pushed the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionEx View Post
USB was most certainly pushed by Apple so I give my thanks there but their need for a proprietary in house connector, firewire, I feel helped slow the growth of USB. For the longest time you had consumers torn because so many products of the time used for production, cameras for example, were Firewire or USB and as someone who has worked in retail, to this day, consumers still have issues with understanding they are two freaking different interfaces....RAGE! Me: Consumer:

As for the OS debate, I will only say this, don't for a second think that Apple and Microsoft don't have a friendly rivalry in which they have inspired each other.

Thank you and good night!...er...morning!...huzzah!
USB became the defacto format once Intel and AMD fully embraced them on their motherboards. Regardless of whether Apple had been 'pushing' them they weren't the ones who made it mainstream. Firewire is a failure due to royalties.

Apple and MS need each other. MS invested 150 million USD in Apple and we can only imagine what they agreed to. Apple make adverts bashing MS and MS do nothing about it, MS release an ad bashing Apple, Apple call MS and the ads disappear. They are deep in each others pockets, we just don't know how far.
Edited by Liranan - 12/29/10 at 7:30am
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
Apple did what with the mouse? USB and Firewire pushed by Apple? Win 7 inspired by Apple?

Soon you're going to say Apple created OSX out of thin air and Apple pushed the wheel.



USB became the defacto format once Intel and AMD fully embraced them on their motherboards. Regardless of whether Apple had been 'pushing' them they weren't the ones who made it mainstream. Firewire is a failure due to royalties.

Apple and MS need each other. MS invested 150 million USD in Apple and we can only imagine what they agreed to. Apple make adverts bashing MS and MS do nothing about it, MS release an ad bashing Apple, Apple call MS and the ads disappear. They are deep in each others pockets, we just don't know how far.
With the iMac came the reinvention of Apple. As we have seen, the company has grown a great deal since then. The iMac was the first consumer computer to remove legacy ports in favor of USB so their push was a considerable factor that can be viewed as a nudge for AMD and Intel to support it outright.

Boy do I hate firewire though.
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 62
I see what you are saying but USB was partly designed by Intel themselves.
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionEx View Post
snippy on first two points
Your clarification of what I said is correct.

Quote:
Now for personal debate.
The iPod being the best is an opinion. Plain and simple. I'm glad you enjoy the product so much. Apple is more glad.
It's not that I enjoy the iPod, it's that so many other people do. And before anyone starts with "ooooh my god you can only use songs bought from the apple store in a proprietary format on the iPod" really? Funny, because all I ever used were MP3s encoded in other apps. Granted, I haven't owned an iPod (save for a 2GB shuffle I used for the gym) in about 6 years.

Quote:
USB was most certainly pushed by Apple so I give my thanks there but their need for a proprietary in house connector, firewire, I feel helped slow the growth of USB. For the longest time you had consumers torn because so many products of the time used for production, cameras for example, were Firewire or USB and as someone who has worked in retail, to this day, consumers still have issues with understanding they are two freaking different interfaces....RAGE! Me: Consumer:
Firewire is (or already has died) dying because it's more expensive and most companies don't want to support it. That doesn't mean that it wasn't great. Hell, when USB 1.1 was around, Firewire 400 came out. It was a real treat to see data move as fast as it did. Now with advancements in USB 2 and 3, firewire isn't really needed anymore, but make no mistake, the entire video production industry relied on Firewire for quite a few years.

I just hope that USB 3 comes down in price and is more readily available to the consumer than it is now. It should be standard on every new motherboard.

Quote:
Printers please enlighten me on this one. I didn't do much research on it.
Apple produced quite a few printers in the 80's and early 90's that helped pave the way for other companies. Again, they weren't the first to make printers (not by a long shot) but they made them for your average consumer, faster, and better.

Quote:
Snippy on laptops
Again, we're not disputing that Apple's modern laptops aren't within reach of modern PC laptops. Apple paved the way with the original Powerbook (it was hideous looking, very plasticy too). The point is, they established themselves as a powerhouse for laptops for years before anyone else could really catch up to them.

Quote:
As for the OS debate, I will only say this, don't for a second think that Apple and Microsoft don't have a friendly rivalry in which they have inspired each other.
I never said that they didn't, they most certainly take ideas from each other. But the fact of the matter is, that usually when Apple does something, the rest of the industry follows. That's not saying MS and other companies haven't had their hand in helping develop modern OS's, because they most certainly have.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, and in fact, there's a lot about the company I don't like. Doesn't mean I'm not willing to give credit where it's due, unlike some others around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
Apple did what with the mouse? USB and Firewire pushed by Apple? Win 7 inspired by Apple?

Soon you're going to say Apple created OSX out of thin air and Apple pushed the wheel.
Apple developed OS X based on NEXTstep OS, which was created and pushed by who? STEVE JOBS. When he became CEO of Apple again, the NEXT OS was rolled into what you see as OS X now.

Quote:
USB became the defacto format once Intel and AMD fully embraced them on their motherboards. Regardless of whether Apple had been 'pushing' them they weren't the ones who made it mainstream. Firewire is a failure due to royalties.
Doesn't matter if Firewire is a failure now. Most tech becomes obsolete or dies for one reason or another. Look at Floppies. IDE. They had their stay in the industry for a long time, longer than some other things. According to you, when we move to completely solid-state and flash systems in the future, CD's and Hard drives would be a complete failure as well.

USB becoming mainstream after Intel/AMD supported it? That's nice. Again, WHO pushed it? Apple. So quit with your strawman arguments here and admit that you have no legs to stand on here. You fanaticism is digging you a big hole.

Quote:
Apple and MS need each other. MS invested 150 million USD in Apple and we can only imagine what they agreed to. Apple make adverts bashing MS and MS do nothing about it, MS release an ad bashing Apple, Apple call MS and the ads disappear. They are deep in each others pockets, we just don't know how far.
You're grabbing at straws here and aren't pushing your argument in the slightest. MS invested in Apple due to a GIANT Anti-trust suit, that wouldn't have even happened had the government stepped in years before when they should have. Apple bought back all of the stock from MS (which, by the way, was non-voting stock) and Apple is free from MS.

Learn your history before you go making brash assumptions, it only makes you look lazy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [MTFans] Lawsuit Filed Against Apple, App Developers, for “Intrusive Tracking”