Overclock.net banner

5770CF with i7 950 for 1360x768 gambing?

633 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BigCactus 
#1 ·
Was wondering how 5770 CF will do at this resolution with i7 950. I probably wouldn't even have to OC the 950 right? I have overhauled my rig quite dangerously this past week with the sales. I7 950 was $199 and 6gb ddr3 only $60. After selling old parts it was a pretty cheap upgrade path overall. How would 5770 CF at 1360x768 perform. I don't want to upgrade monitor so I figure two cheap 5770s for like $220 AR would suffice for most games, including CS Source and TF2. I got the 950 to eliminate any cpu bottlenecks. Also why I'm getting 5770s is so that I can hand down a 5770 to someone when I don't need two down the line. I'm hoping to play hl2 orange box and some bc2 as well. Maybe throw a little NFS shift in with max AA to try and stress these things out.
smile.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
At such a low resolution, most games are much more CPU dependent than GPU dependent. Even ONE 5770 will not be used to its fullest.

Get a bigger and better monitor first.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus;11805871
That's why I got the i7 950!
My point was that there's not much point in getting a second GPU until you get a higher resolution display.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus;11805910
Since when is overkill an issue on overclock.net? Well I'm glad it's overkill then, because I want a lot of AA/AF with max settings.
If you want to spend money then spend money...but the cons of multi-GPU setups (micro-stutter, lack of support in games, etc) will bite you and be FAR more annoying considering the lack of benefit.

#12 ·
everybody is right untill now as the cpu dependency increases with decrease in res and with increase in res the cpu dependency decreases....so i would say overclock ur cpu if u ever experience performance problem in games and btw i understand what u r trying to say i also bought gtx 460 for 1280x1024 res which is higher than urs but still my gtx 460 is overkill for that.....so as long as u r okay with these things,overkill is good...
for eg my max gpu usage in nfs:hp is 30-35% at that res with all settings high......
so if u have the money go for it and maybe in the future upgrade to a higher res monitor.....

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh.0;11805936
my i5 760 and GTX 460 (both at stock) can run BFBC2@(8xAA, 16xAF, high everthing) and it gets about 60-80 FPS minimum, i think your gonna be good with your setup.
Thanks,+rep. I know the gtx460 is more powerful and definitely looked at that option. But with the 5770s on sale for 220, and the ability to give a 5770 to someone else down the road...or to build an htpc later was a nice option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.