Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › How much does it cost to get into WC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much does it cost to get into WC? - Page 5

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnAimed View Post
But it does not offer if any temperature decrease over an air cooler.
The H50/H70 is as good as High end air cooling. Except when it needs to cool off. It actually takes a few minutes to get the H50/70 back down to normal temps.

That's t he main reason why I got rid of my H50 (well I'm going to sell it once I get the +REP)

I'd overclock and the longer the stress test went, the higher the temps would go because the cooler couldn't cool it quick enough. It's great at keeping it in low temp game sessions or idle

Stressing it? Nope... not good.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 2600K Asus Maximus IV Extreme AMD Radeon 7970 AMD Radeon 7970 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16gb Gskill 1866mhz Vertex 3 240gb. 1TB Seagate 7200. 160gb WD 7200. LG 24x DVD XSPC Raystorm, MCP655, Frozen-Q Tvirus, RS360mm... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 24'' 1080p by Asus Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair 1000watt HX Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D Razer Mamba Razer Ironclad Razer Megalodon's  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 2600K Asus Maximus IV Extreme AMD Radeon 7970 AMD Radeon 7970 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16gb Gskill 1866mhz Vertex 3 240gb. 1TB Seagate 7200. 160gb WD 7200. LG 24x DVD XSPC Raystorm, MCP655, Frozen-Q Tvirus, RS360mm... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 24'' 1080p by Asus Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair 1000watt HX Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D Razer Mamba Razer Ironclad Razer Megalodon's  
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsagna View Post
The H50/H70 is as good as High end air cooling. Except when it needs to cool off. It actually takes a few minutes to get the H50/70 back down to normal temps.

That's t he main reason why I got rid of my H50 (well I'm going to sell it once I get the +REP)

I'd overclock and the longer the stress test went, the higher the temps would go because the cooler couldn't cool it quick enough. It's great at keeping it in low temp game sessions or idle

Stressing it? Nope... not good.
what you're talking about is the "water"/air delta the h50 is providing you at TDP. At 100% load it will take a while for the liquid to warm up to an equilibrium temperature. Leave your cpu folding or prime-ing for about 20 or so minutes then check your temps. Those are your real load temps. The liquid takes a while to heat up and subsequently cool down. I don't see a difference in temps with my loop when only stressing my cpu since all of the heat is dissipated by the rads that the cpu put into the loop which is the pro of higher end watercooling vs the h50/h70/rasa kits
 
Project Atlantis
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3960X w/ EK Supreme HF  Asus Rampage IV Extreme w/ EK full cover Tri SLi EVGA GTX TITAN SC w/ EK full cover & Ba... 64 GB Dominator w/ MIPS Ram Cooler 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
1TB Samsung EVO 850 2x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black 1x Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 560  Bitspower Pump Upgrade Kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 280 Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 480 Dual Uber MCP655 Noiseblocker PK-3  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Bitspower Compression Fittings Lamptron FC-8 Noiseblocker PL-2 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PB287Q 4K Steelseries 7G Custum wired EVGA NEX 1500 Caselabs SMA8 
MouseMouse Pad
Rat 7 Razer Goliathus XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 c0 @ 4.2 Ghz w/ 1.4v max 4.6ghz @1.55v w... Asus P6T6 WS Revolution w/ koolance nb/sb+mosfe... EVGA GTX 480 x3 w/ Koolance Vid-NX480 12gb Corsair Dominator 1600mhz w/ MIPS Ramcooler 6 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1.5 Tb Seagate barracuda x3 LG Bluray Burner 2x SR1 360, RX 360, SR1 240, SR1 120, 2x MCP355... Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung t260 x3 Razer Black Widow Ultimate Silverstone st1200 Mountain Mods U2UFO w/ MM Pedestal Addition 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Mamba Razer Destructor X-Fi Fata1ity Logitech Z-5500 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM 650ti 8GB 1333mhz DDR3 256gb ssd 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OSX Mountain Lion Retina Display 85w Magsafe Power Adapter Aluminum Unibody 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Project Atlantis
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3960X w/ EK Supreme HF  Asus Rampage IV Extreme w/ EK full cover Tri SLi EVGA GTX TITAN SC w/ EK full cover & Ba... 64 GB Dominator w/ MIPS Ram Cooler 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
1TB Samsung EVO 850 2x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black 1x Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 560  Bitspower Pump Upgrade Kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 280 Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 480 Dual Uber MCP655 Noiseblocker PK-3  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Bitspower Compression Fittings Lamptron FC-8 Noiseblocker PL-2 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PB287Q 4K Steelseries 7G Custum wired EVGA NEX 1500 Caselabs SMA8 
MouseMouse Pad
Rat 7 Razer Goliathus XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 c0 @ 4.2 Ghz w/ 1.4v max 4.6ghz @1.55v w... Asus P6T6 WS Revolution w/ koolance nb/sb+mosfe... EVGA GTX 480 x3 w/ Koolance Vid-NX480 12gb Corsair Dominator 1600mhz w/ MIPS Ramcooler 6 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1.5 Tb Seagate barracuda x3 LG Bluray Burner 2x SR1 360, RX 360, SR1 240, SR1 120, 2x MCP355... Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung t260 x3 Razer Black Widow Ultimate Silverstone st1200 Mountain Mods U2UFO w/ MM Pedestal Addition 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Mamba Razer Destructor X-Fi Fata1ity Logitech Z-5500 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM 650ti 8GB 1333mhz DDR3 256gb ssd 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OSX Mountain Lion Retina Display 85w Magsafe Power Adapter Aluminum Unibody 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 46
+1 for the Rasa kit best bang for buck IMO. Also can easily be upgraded later.
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_italian_stallion View Post
what you're talking about is the "water"/air delta the h50 is providing you at TDP. At 100% load it will take a while for the liquid to warm up to an equilibrium temperature. Leave your cpu folding or prime-ing for about 20 or so minutes then check your temps. Those are your real load temps. The liquid takes a while to heat up and subsequently cool down. I don't see a difference in temps with my loop when only stressing my cpu since all of the heat is dissipated by the rads that the cpu put into the loop which is the pro of higher end watercooling vs the h50/h70/rasa kits
I still don't believe a full out custom water cooling solution (just for the CPU) justifies the price tag for a small decrease in temps across the boards. If it was around 10c cooler, I'd do it. But that' be nearly below Ambient temps which isn't the norm unless it's chilled.

I'm 14c above ambient in my loop with the RS 360 kit.

I'm not saying to NOT get a custom, they're great. But for me, I won't do a full custom solution until I want to cool the GPU, RAM and Mobo with it.

If the OP is getting into WC and is only cooling the CPU - The Rasa kit's should be a no brainer in most scenarios unless he's going for the 'extreme' overclock, like 5ghz or something.

But say his i5 760 to 4.5ghz. The Rasa kit will do just fine, his setup will most likely limit his overclock before the kit will.

This is theoretical as I don't know what the OP truly wants to do, and is just my .02c
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 2600K Asus Maximus IV Extreme AMD Radeon 7970 AMD Radeon 7970 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16gb Gskill 1866mhz Vertex 3 240gb. 1TB Seagate 7200. 160gb WD 7200. LG 24x DVD XSPC Raystorm, MCP655, Frozen-Q Tvirus, RS360mm... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 24'' 1080p by Asus Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair 1000watt HX Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D Razer Mamba Razer Ironclad Razer Megalodon's  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 2600K Asus Maximus IV Extreme AMD Radeon 7970 AMD Radeon 7970 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16gb Gskill 1866mhz Vertex 3 240gb. 1TB Seagate 7200. 160gb WD 7200. LG 24x DVD XSPC Raystorm, MCP655, Frozen-Q Tvirus, RS360mm... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 24'' 1080p by Asus Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair 1000watt HX Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D Razer Mamba Razer Ironclad Razer Megalodon's  
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsagna View Post
I still don't believe a full out custom water cooling solution (just for the CPU) justifies the price tag for a small decrease in temps across the boards. If it was around 10c cooler, I'd do it. But that' be nearly below Ambient temps which isn't the norm unless it's chilled.

I'm 14c above ambient in my loop with the RS 360 kit.

I'm not saying to NOT get a custom, they're great. But for me, I won't do a full custom solution until I want to cool the GPU, RAM and Mobo with it.

If the OP is getting into WC and is only cooling the CPU - The Rasa kit's should be a no brainer in most scenarios unless he's going for the 'extreme' overclock, like 5ghz or something.

But say his i5 760 to 4.5ghz. The Rasa kit will do just fine, his setup will most likely limit his overclock before the kit will.

This is theoretical as I don't know what the OP truly wants to do, and is just my .02c
it obviously doesn't scale 1:1 dollar to performance, not even 5:1. W/c, for me, is a hobby. It keeps me busy. I've spend about $1500 on the loop and it keeps the delta between 2-3c. Was it worth it? No, but was it fun? yes. I've always thought of computers as a hobby. Buy the parts that finances allow and have fun with it. Having the tippy top doesn't really matter unless you're rendering massive amounts of video or doing similar tasks and don't have time to wait. Do what's fun and what you will enjoy doing, not what people TELL you to do.
 
Project Atlantis
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3960X w/ EK Supreme HF  Asus Rampage IV Extreme w/ EK full cover Tri SLi EVGA GTX TITAN SC w/ EK full cover & Ba... 64 GB Dominator w/ MIPS Ram Cooler 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
1TB Samsung EVO 850 2x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black 1x Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 560  Bitspower Pump Upgrade Kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 280 Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 480 Dual Uber MCP655 Noiseblocker PK-3  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Bitspower Compression Fittings Lamptron FC-8 Noiseblocker PL-2 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PB287Q 4K Steelseries 7G Custum wired EVGA NEX 1500 Caselabs SMA8 
MouseMouse Pad
Rat 7 Razer Goliathus XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 c0 @ 4.2 Ghz w/ 1.4v max 4.6ghz @1.55v w... Asus P6T6 WS Revolution w/ koolance nb/sb+mosfe... EVGA GTX 480 x3 w/ Koolance Vid-NX480 12gb Corsair Dominator 1600mhz w/ MIPS Ramcooler 6 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1.5 Tb Seagate barracuda x3 LG Bluray Burner 2x SR1 360, RX 360, SR1 240, SR1 120, 2x MCP355... Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung t260 x3 Razer Black Widow Ultimate Silverstone st1200 Mountain Mods U2UFO w/ MM Pedestal Addition 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Mamba Razer Destructor X-Fi Fata1ity Logitech Z-5500 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM 650ti 8GB 1333mhz DDR3 256gb ssd 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OSX Mountain Lion Retina Display 85w Magsafe Power Adapter Aluminum Unibody 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Project Atlantis
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3960X w/ EK Supreme HF  Asus Rampage IV Extreme w/ EK full cover Tri SLi EVGA GTX TITAN SC w/ EK full cover & Ba... 64 GB Dominator w/ MIPS Ram Cooler 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
1TB Samsung EVO 850 2x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black 1x Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 560  Bitspower Pump Upgrade Kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 280 Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 480 Dual Uber MCP655 Noiseblocker PK-3  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Bitspower Compression Fittings Lamptron FC-8 Noiseblocker PL-2 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PB287Q 4K Steelseries 7G Custum wired EVGA NEX 1500 Caselabs SMA8 
MouseMouse Pad
Rat 7 Razer Goliathus XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 c0 @ 4.2 Ghz w/ 1.4v max 4.6ghz @1.55v w... Asus P6T6 WS Revolution w/ koolance nb/sb+mosfe... EVGA GTX 480 x3 w/ Koolance Vid-NX480 12gb Corsair Dominator 1600mhz w/ MIPS Ramcooler 6 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1.5 Tb Seagate barracuda x3 LG Bluray Burner 2x SR1 360, RX 360, SR1 240, SR1 120, 2x MCP355... Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung t260 x3 Razer Black Widow Ultimate Silverstone st1200 Mountain Mods U2UFO w/ MM Pedestal Addition 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Mamba Razer Destructor X-Fi Fata1ity Logitech Z-5500 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM 650ti 8GB 1333mhz DDR3 256gb ssd 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OSX Mountain Lion Retina Display 85w Magsafe Power Adapter Aluminum Unibody 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_italian_stallion View Post
it obviously doesn't scale 1:1 dollar to performance, not even 5:1. W/c, for me, is a hobby. It keeps me busy. I've spend about $1500 on the loop and it keeps the delta between 2-3c. Was it worth it? No, but was it fun? yes. I've always thought of computers as a hobby. Buy the parts that finances allow and have fun with it. Having the tippy top doesn't really matter unless you're rendering massive amounts of video or doing similar tasks and don't have time to wait. Do what's fun and what you will enjoy doing, not what people TELL you to do.
Oh, I agree as well. I'm the exact same way. And like I said, my vibe from the OP wasn't looking for as such.

Which is why I'm recommending the Rasa and not a custom . If I had more money to blow on my PC. I'd be getting SSD's first, then XFire/Sli <Insert latest graphics here> etc etc

Then I'd be going with the full out custom solution as you stated, until it's going to be about 800-900$ then I'd just get a phase change cooler and keep my temps in the negatives, lol.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 2600K Asus Maximus IV Extreme AMD Radeon 7970 AMD Radeon 7970 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16gb Gskill 1866mhz Vertex 3 240gb. 1TB Seagate 7200. 160gb WD 7200. LG 24x DVD XSPC Raystorm, MCP655, Frozen-Q Tvirus, RS360mm... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 24'' 1080p by Asus Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair 1000watt HX Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D Razer Mamba Razer Ironclad Razer Megalodon's  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 2600K Asus Maximus IV Extreme AMD Radeon 7970 AMD Radeon 7970 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16gb Gskill 1866mhz Vertex 3 240gb. 1TB Seagate 7200. 160gb WD 7200. LG 24x DVD XSPC Raystorm, MCP655, Frozen-Q Tvirus, RS360mm... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 24'' 1080p by Asus Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair 1000watt HX Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D Razer Mamba Razer Ironclad Razer Megalodon's  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › How much does it cost to get into WC?