Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Not getting audio from receiver -> PC setup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Not getting audio from receiver -> PC setup

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I recently got a new stereo receiver (Harman Kardon 3490) and hooked it up to my 2.0 bookshelf speakers and my Asus Xonar Essence ST on my computer so that I can play audio from my PC. However, I cannot seem to get the audio working. The instruction manual on my receiver says to select the source component from Phono, CD, Video 1, Video 2, and Video 3. However, I do not have connections for any of these; the only connection is the Optical line going from the receiver to my sound card. I tried all 5 source selections but none of them seems to work. Please help
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 750 Gigabyte USB 3.0 ATI 5770 4gb DDR3 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Western Digital Black 1TB Samsung P2770H Corsair 400W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 750 Gigabyte USB 3.0 ATI 5770 4gb DDR3 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Western Digital Black 1TB Samsung P2770H Corsair 400W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 5
Have you selected the digital output in Windows? If you were previously using the front panel or rear 3.5mm audio jack, you will need to change the output source.

Right-click the speaker icon in your system tray and select 'Playback devices'. Then pick the digital source.

Also, please fill out your system specs in your signature so we can help you more easily.
At long last...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 D0 | 4104MHz@1.23V Big Bang XPower 5850 | 880/1050 6GB Sector 7 | 1728MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
F115 W7P64 245BW SPI Magna 1kW 
Case
cardboard (case/loop in prog) 
  hide details  
Reply
At long last...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 D0 | 4104MHz@1.23V Big Bang XPower 5850 | 880/1050 6GB Sector 7 | 1728MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
F115 W7P64 245BW SPI Magna 1kW 
Case
cardboard (case/loop in prog) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBrown.CA View Post
Have you selected the digital output in Windows? If you were previously using the front panel or rear 3.5mm audio jack, you will need to change the output source.

Right-click the speaker icon in your system tray and select 'Playback devices'. Then pick the digital source.

Also, please fill out your system specs in your signature so we can help you more easily.
I actually realized I didn't check SPDIF Out on my sound card But when I went to Playback devices and set SPDIF Pass-through Device as my default the audio was much clearer. Does it actually make a difference whether 'Speakers' is on default or SPDIF?

Also, now that I'm playing audio through my receiver I notice I cannot control the sound anymore from my sound card software. Does it matter at all what I set the volume to on my computer? I think I heard somewhere the volume should be 100% and I should set the audio volume from my receiver for the best quality.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 750 Gigabyte USB 3.0 ATI 5770 4gb DDR3 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Western Digital Black 1TB Samsung P2770H Corsair 400W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 750 Gigabyte USB 3.0 ATI 5770 4gb DDR3 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Western Digital Black 1TB Samsung P2770H Corsair 400W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
I actually realized I didn't check SPDIF Out on my sound card But when I went to Playback devices and set SPDIF Pass-through Device as my default the audio was much clearer. Does it actually make a difference whether 'Speakers' is on default or SPDIF?

Also, now that I'm playing audio through my receiver I notice I cannot control the sound anymore from my sound card software. Does it matter at all what I set the volume to on my computer? I think I heard somewhere the volume should be 100% and I should set the audio volume from my receiver for the best quality.
It won't make a difference on the volume you set on your computer. The receiver now controls the volume.

Just set SPDIF as default.
Intel Junk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E4500 @ 2.75GHz GIGABYTE 965P-S3 PNY 8800GT 512MB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1000MHz 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 750GB AALS, Hitachi 160GB laptop none Windows 7 Ulitmate 32bit 22" Acer LCD AL2216W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 350 Internet ASUS OEM 300W none Logitech RX300 
Mouse Pad
pads pads pads 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Junk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E4500 @ 2.75GHz GIGABYTE 965P-S3 PNY 8800GT 512MB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1000MHz 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 750GB AALS, Hitachi 160GB laptop none Windows 7 Ulitmate 32bit 22" Acer LCD AL2216W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 350 Internet ASUS OEM 300W none Logitech RX300 
Mouse Pad
pads pads pads 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearSC549 View Post
It won't make a difference on the volume you set on your computer. The receiver now controls the volume.

Just set SPDIF as default.
Are you sure about this?

I have a similar setup at home and I was under the impression that there are two separate ways to control volume. On the computer and on the receiver. If I set my computer volume to 50%, my receiver sounds quieter but I can still turn the volume up on the receiver to compensate.

The way you described it made it sound like if you turn down the volume on the receiver the volume level in Windows will also go down... This is not the case AFAIK. The volume on the receiver will go down, but the volume level in Windows will remain the same unless changed through Windows.
At long last...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 D0 | 4104MHz@1.23V Big Bang XPower 5850 | 880/1050 6GB Sector 7 | 1728MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
F115 W7P64 245BW SPI Magna 1kW 
Case
cardboard (case/loop in prog) 
  hide details  
Reply
At long last...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 D0 | 4104MHz@1.23V Big Bang XPower 5850 | 880/1050 6GB Sector 7 | 1728MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
F115 W7P64 245BW SPI Magna 1kW 
Case
cardboard (case/loop in prog) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Not getting audio from receiver -> PC setup