Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › HDTV › LCD/Plasma HDTV recommendations needed ($750-$800 budget)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LCD/Plasma HDTV recommendations needed ($750-$800 budget) - Page 3

post #21 of 45
Thread Starter 
Alright I think I'll switch to Plasma then I look on Amazon (prefer to order there since there's no tax) I know I can get a bigger size but I also care about the picture quality/features as a whole and as mentioned, I'm gonna put this TV in my bedroom so I think any size that is over 46" is too big for my room.
I know there are only Panasonic and Samsung still make plasma TV, and I decide to go with Panasonic cuz I heard Samsung panel's quality is no longer good like before. As for Panasonic, I'm looking into the G series since I don't think I can't afford the V series, I'm not sure about U or S series though since they're cheaper.
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 45
Thread Starter 
So I just came to Fry's to take a look at the Panasonic and to be honest, I'm not quiet impressed with the picture and it looks so grainy, I don't know if it's because the source they hook up to or it's because of the TV. I also have 2nd thought as I saw the Sony Bravia KDL-EX710 on sale for $898 and it looks great to me. So my decision has narrow down to these 2 TVs.
What do you guys think?
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 45
I would go with the panasonic plasma (or samsung if you're still looking at that). Put it in THX mode and picture is alot better than LCD. Samsung quality is fine and anyone who tells you otherwise either had the extremely small chance of getting a bad unit or is a samsung hater. If you get the panasonic or any TV for the matter it's going to look alot better after you calibrate it and put it to the settings you think are best. Again I'd go with the panasonic plasma not only for the quality, but also panasonic has great support (Sony does as well, but plasma > LCD).
Blackhawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 (3.610ghz) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P Gigabyte HD 7950Windforce 3X Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB Win 7 Home Premium Acer B233HU Cooler Master Storm Trigger 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 1000W Cooler master Stryker Razer Deathadder Black Edition Cooler Master Storm Tactics 
  hide details  
Reply
Blackhawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 (3.610ghz) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P Gigabyte HD 7950Windforce 3X Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB Win 7 Home Premium Acer B233HU Cooler Master Storm Trigger 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 1000W Cooler master Stryker Razer Deathadder Black Edition Cooler Master Storm Tactics 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4 View Post
I would go with the panasonic plasma (or samsung if you're still looking at that). Put it in THX mode and picture is alot better than LCD. Samsung quality is fine and anyone who tells you otherwise either had the extremely small chance of getting a bad unit or is a samsung hater. If you get the panasonic or any TV for the matter it's going to look alot better after you calibrate it and put it to the settings you think are best. Again I'd go with the panasonic plasma not only for the quality, but also panasonic has great support (Sony does as well, but plasma > LCD).
Then I guess I might come back again and take a deeper look at the Panasonic P42G25. It's weird cuz I've heard lot of good things about this TV but when I see it I'm not really impressed.
Also price factor is something I should consider as well:
The 42" Panasonic P42G25 for $789 or 46" Sony KDL-EX710 for $898?
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
So I just came to Fry's to take a look at the Panasonic and to be honest, I'm not quiet impressed with the picture and it looks so grainy, I don't know if it's because the source they hook up to or it's because of the TV. I also have 2nd thought as I saw the Sony Bravia KDL-EX710 on sale for $898 and it looks great to me. So my decision has narrow down to these 2 TVs.
What do you guys think?
I think you have to ascertain the bolded part above.

Many salesmen are:
a. just not knowledgeable enough (or even do not care about) to setup HDTV+ source properly.
b. too knowledgeable and so they can deliberately setup one HDTV properly to show its best and another HDTV improperly to make it look worse. Simple reason: he has a certain brand or a certain model that he wants to push up the sales

So, you have to be prepared.
--Go to stores that have a special room (eg the room light can be turned down). Or else, the usually bright lights in a store can distort/affect the image quality.
--Ask the salesman to ensure the source. Ask him to switch to various sources to compare.
--Bring DVD/Blu-ray movies (which you are familar with) to the store and actually use their Blu-ray player to play the movies. Then, within a few minutes, you can see fast action, skin colours, colour tones, how black is the darkness...etc
post #26 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfire View Post
I think you have to ascertain the bolded part above.

Many salesmen are:
a. just not knowledgeable enough (or even do not care about) to setup HDTV+ source properly.
b. too knowledgeable and so they can deliberately setup one HDTV properly to show its best and another HDTV improperly to make it look worse. Simple reason: he has a certain brand or a certain model that he wants to push up the sales

So, you have to be prepared.
--Go to stores that have a special room (eg the room light can be turned down). Or else, the usually bright lights in a store can distort/affect the image quality.
--Ask the salesman to ensure the source. Ask him to switch to various sources to compare.
--Bring DVD/Blu-ray movies (which you are familar with) to the store and actually use their Blu-ray player to play the movies. Then, within a few minutes, you can see fast action, skin colours, colour tones, how black is the darkness...etc
Thank you for bringing that up, the Sony I looked at was in a Sony section with a Sony saleman while the Panasonic is just a display in the store, that's why I thought it could hook up to a difference source. Anyway I'll come back tomorrow to look again.
Another question though, will plasma be good for gaming?
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
Thank you for bringing that up, the Sony I looked at was in a Sony section with a Sony saleman while the Panasonic is just a display in the store, that's why I thought it could hook up to a difference source. Anyway I'll come back tomorrow to look again.
Another question though, will plasma be good for gaming?
Plasma great from gaming just like crt are great for gaming when compared to LCD.

Overall make sure you are able to mess with the controls and able to calibrate the future tv when you get home. Most floor models have the brightness turned up maximum so it will look different in your room environment.

If possible ask if you can see the tv in low light environment to see if the screen has bleeding on the sides. In the low light environment test for viewing angles and etc, biggest problem is vertical viewing angles. If you are going to be looking up at the monitor the toper portion of the screen should not look darker than the bottom. Cheap tv and monitors will do that.
Casmatic
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Extreme4  PNY GeForce GTX 1080 PNY XLR8 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
samsung 850 Seagate 5tb LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Scythe Mugen 5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ASUS VE258Q TeamWolf Zhuque + (Zealios switches) Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 690 II Advance G900 Corsair - MM300 Sound Blaster E5  
Other
Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme 
  hide details  
Reply
Casmatic
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Extreme4  PNY GeForce GTX 1080 PNY XLR8 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
samsung 850 Seagate 5tb LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Scythe Mugen 5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ASUS VE258Q TeamWolf Zhuque + (Zealios switches) Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 690 II Advance G900 Corsair - MM300 Sound Blaster E5  
Other
Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 45
Old Hat
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 EVGA P55 FTW 5870 Vapor-X (First Edition) Mushkin Redline 2X2GB 1600Mhz 7-7-7-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640MB WD6401AALS Samsung Window's 7 Ultimate x64 LG 22" Widescreen 8000:1 2MS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend Ice Corsair TX750 Antec 900 Mionix Naos 5000 
Mouse Pad
C4 NGen 
  hide details  
Reply
Old Hat
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 EVGA P55 FTW 5870 Vapor-X (First Edition) Mushkin Redline 2X2GB 1600Mhz 7-7-7-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640MB WD6401AALS Samsung Window's 7 Ultimate x64 LG 22" Widescreen 8000:1 2MS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend Ice Corsair TX750 Antec 900 Mionix Naos 5000 
Mouse Pad
C4 NGen 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
Thank you for bringing that up, the Sony I looked at was in a Sony section with a Sony saleman while the Panasonic is just a display in the store, that's why I thought it could hook up to a difference source. Anyway I'll come back tomorrow to look again.
Another question though, will plasma be good for gaming?


Plasma HDTVs are ok for gaming.

These general guides describe the typical LCD vs Plasma gaming well. (Note: burn-in is not a major problem for Plasma anymore. It was a few years ago but not for newer models.)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4Yjf9Cz...flatpanel.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?LCD-Versus...010&id=4547369

http://www.ehow.com/about_4778221_pl...cd-gaming.html


And, one step that is useful to take before buying is to download the User Manual of that HDTV model (Plasma or LCD) and read about various inputs/connectors and scaling options that model has to offer, particularly its compatibility with a PC as a source.
post #30 of 45
Also if you do end up going with the Panasonic G25 or any other new plasma here are some guides and results from guides you might want to check out
http://www.highdefforum.com/flat-pan...ma-owners.html
http://www.highdefforum.com/flat-pan...sc-can-do.html
http://www.highdefforum.com/flat-pan...bout-burn.html
http://www.highdefforum.com/flat-pan...mpetition.html
Blackhawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 (3.610ghz) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P Gigabyte HD 7950Windforce 3X Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB Win 7 Home Premium Acer B233HU Cooler Master Storm Trigger 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 1000W Cooler master Stryker Razer Deathadder Black Edition Cooler Master Storm Tactics 
  hide details  
Reply
Blackhawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 (3.610ghz) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P Gigabyte HD 7950Windforce 3X Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB Win 7 Home Premium Acer B233HU Cooler Master Storm Trigger 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 1000W Cooler master Stryker Razer Deathadder Black Edition Cooler Master Storm Tactics 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › HDTV › LCD/Plasma HDTV recommendations needed ($750-$800 budget)