Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Big flaw in mechanical keyboards...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big flaw in mechanical keyboards... - Page 4

post #31 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch_123 View Post
I can think of more, including Unicomp which is cheaper than most Cherry switch keyboards, far more better built/durable, and arguably far nicer for typing. Either way, it's a rather sensationalist thread title that's predicated on the failing of one switch design, even if it's the most common one in terms of newly produced keyboards. If the most popular brand of car has dodgy breaks, can we say that all cars can't stop?
If those brakes are found in 9/10 cars you see on the road, regardless of brand then yea, it becomes a bit of a problem...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanx View Post
But this is the logic process of a 2 year old "all tomatoes are red so all vegetables are red!!!"
I mean really this is all due to user error, i think if i put a can of coke on top of a new flat screen and let it drop down due to my carelessness and eventually the acid ate away at the LCD film and half the screen became cola colored, i don't think i can go and tell the best buy lady "idk half the screen looks dark, this is why i'm returning it".
mechanicals are not flawed because you fail the aluminum can test, liquids just do not mix with electronics.
Tomatoes are fruit, your logic is flawed.
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 70
Logic wars. I love 'em. I just like to contribute the Dutch saying that a cow is a mammal, but a mammal may not be a cow.
post #34 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
If those brakes are found in 9/10 cars you see on the road, regardless of brand then yea, it becomes a bit of a problem...
But that's not the question I'm asking. You're still asserting that all mechanical keyboards are **** because the most popular type on the market at the moment have durability issues, which shows some lack of perspective to say the least, especially given that you can only name one other type of mechanical keyboard currently in production.

But to look at your argument from a more sympathetic angle, I never liked the 'mechanical keyboard' label moniker - it lumps everything that isn't a rubber dome or scissor switch under the label when there's such a huge variance in quality between different keyboard types that have absolutely nothing in common with each other. Eventually (and indeed it already has) been used to sell crap by using the prestige attached to good keyboard designs.
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 70
You could just get a Topre while they are 19% off: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.p...&pid=rf_se1200

I haven't tried pouring a glass of coke in mine yet though.
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanx View Post
mechanicals are not flawed because you fail the aluminum can test, liquids just do not mix with electronics.
Except that this isn't a matter of electronics. This is a mechanical keyboard. With a membrane keyboard there isn't any moving parts, so there isn't any chance of something going wrong. With a mechanical keyboard there are moving parts, and things can get stuck in them or parts can fail. This is a fact, regardless of the brand. Its also hardly a matter of liquids, because like I said it was 2 drops. I could have opened the can inside my case and nothing would have happened.

Basically what this means is that I can't have any liquids at all around my keyboard. Thats simply unacceptable. It may have been a rare occurrence, but I'm not going to spend that much money on such a fragile keyboard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post
Tomatoes are fruit, your logic is flawed.
Vegetable is a matter of taste. Yes its a fruit, but its also classified as a vegetable by it's taste.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post
How did it feel lying to them when you returned it?
Pretty damned good I'll bet, as they gave him full credit.

Anyway, you could have just cleaned it you know?
EDIT: I should mention that my mechanical is a new old stock M13, about 20 years old, has had a small amount of liquids fall in it, I cleaned it, it works fine. This is not something unique to mechanical keyboards at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
Except that this isn't a matter of electronics. This is a mechanical keyboard. With a membrane keyboard there isn't any moving parts, so there isn't any chance of something going wrong. With a mechanical keyboard there are moving parts, and things can get stuck in them or parts can fail. This is a fact, regardless of the brand. Its also hardly a matter of liquids, because like I said it was 2 drops. I could have opened the can inside my case and nothing would have happened.

Basically what this means is that I can't have any liquids at all around my keyboard. Thats simply unacceptable. It may have been a rare occurrence, but I'm not going to spend that much money on such a fragile keyboard.
Baloney. I have seen membrane keyboards and scissor switch keyboards get jacked up by spills and abuse. Accidental damage is something all keyboards are vulnerable to, regardless of key type.

God, another edit: Fruits are the edible seed bearing portions of plants, vegetables are, well here is what Wikipedia says, but basically anything not a fruit:"The noun vegetable usually means an edible plant or part of a plant other than a sweet fruit or seed. This usually means the leaf, stem, or root of a plant."
Edited by Mygaffer - 12/30/10 at 7:17pm
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
With a membrane keyboard there isn't any moving parts, so there isn't any chance of something going wrong.
If there are no moving parts in a non-mechanical keyswitch, then how come the buttons on my laptop move downwards when I press them? Look, I'm doing it right now!

(Hint: Two scissor arms and a rubber dome)

Quote:
With a mechanical keyboard there are moving parts, and things can get stuck in them or parts can fail.
Again, this is something that varies greatly from keyboard design to keyboard design. Something like a buckling spring or a Topre switch will have as few moving parts as a scissor switch or rubber dome, and yet manage to be more reliable, either by virtue of being better sealed, or using more reliable parts - i.e. capacitive switching instead of a membrane.
Edited by ch_123 - 12/30/10 at 7:19pm
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 70
ch_123 still didn't learn enough lessons from MW
post #40 of 70
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Keyboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Big flaw in mechanical keyboards...