Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Geek.com] Russia to adopt Linux as national operating system by 2015
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Geek.com] Russia to adopt Linux as national operating system by 2015 - Page 8

post #71 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarton View Post
Fight the battle against communism with Microsoft Windows! When you use Linux, you're computing with Stalin.


its 2011...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 5000 x2 Black Edition  BioStar 790GX 128M BFG 9800GT 1024 Mb 4x1 GB's of random thingies  
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
300GB Maxtor  Windows 7-U 64bit HP 19"  Logetech 
PowerCaseMouse
400 watt silver stone  Ultra Grid Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 5000 x2 Black Edition  BioStar 790GX 128M BFG 9800GT 1024 Mb 4x1 GB's of random thingies  
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
300GB Maxtor  Windows 7-U 64bit HP 19"  Logetech 
PowerCaseMouse
400 watt silver stone  Ultra Grid Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 122
This is what happens when you the Windows source code.
15s
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 640 Gigabyte 880GM-D2H AMD HD4250 4 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640GB Arch GNU/Linux i686 Fujitsu Siemens 4612 FA 350 W 
Mouse
Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
15s
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 640 Gigabyte 880GM-D2H AMD HD4250 4 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640GB Arch GNU/Linux i686 Fujitsu Siemens 4612 FA 350 W 
Mouse
Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post
Even if it became legal to charge for it...
It is 100% legal to charge absolutely anything for any software licenced under any version of the GNU GPL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_man View Post
Linus Torvalds (linux founder) is Finnish...
Stallman is American, and the GNU toolchain forms a much larger part of the GNU/Linux operating system than the Linux kernel does, so in a sense it sort of is an American OS... sort of. But then you have to consider the origins of the application software sitting on top of the GNU toolchain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarton View Post
Fight the battle against communism with Microsoft Windows! When you use Linux, you're computing with Stalin.
Stalin or bank executives, tough choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB View Post
A ton of drivers are closed source
And I don't understand why that is either. It's not like your competition is going to be able to patch their own drivers with your source (for both technological and legal reasons, unless they also open their drivers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCatMk2 View Post
This is what happens when you the Windows source code.
It looks like you just accidentally your post.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970IX-4GD) 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970IX-4GD) 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 122
Nothing new here. Many government departments of various countries use Linux as it's more moddable, and thus can be made more secure and made to suit the need. It also saves ALOT of money in licensing fees.
post #75 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitoriko View Post
In Russia Linux Operates You
More like, "In Soviet Russia, National Operating System Adopts You!"
Low Tide
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA GTX 670 FTW 8GB G. Skill 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows X Samsung T240HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Ducky DK9008G2 Red Corsair TX850W V1 Corsair Carbide 300R X-Fi XtremeGamer 
  hide details  
Reply
Low Tide
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA GTX 670 FTW 8GB G. Skill 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows X Samsung T240HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Ducky DK9008G2 Red Corsair TX850W V1 Corsair Carbide 300R X-Fi XtremeGamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 122
Linux will rule the world
post #77 of 122
I'd use Linux for the full 100% of the time if it had a decent office suite OOffice or Koffice just don't cut it. IMO.
Especially when it comes to compatibility with MS office.
post #78 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenthos View Post
I'd use Linux for the full 100% of the time if it had a decent office suite OOffice or Koffice just don't cut it. IMO.
Especially when it comes to compatibility with MS office.
Only stupid docx files cause problems. XMLs and the work now (I remember when they were iffy).

And while it's not intuitive I just use googledocs to convert any docx files into odt/odf and problem solved all without a reboot and all under 5 minutes. Now if only I could get people to pay attention to what format they're saving in with windows.

PS: I also remember being the only person who had Office2007 and had to deal with everyone else complaining about not being able to read my files because of the container change. I even remember people saying that 2007 would never catch on or work. I guess they were wrong.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post
Now if only I could get people to pay attention to what format they're saving in with windows.

PS: I also remember being the only person who had Office2007 and had to deal with everyone else complaining about not being able to read my files because of the container change. I even remember people saying that 2007 would never catch on or work. I guess they were wrong.
That is a major problem we are having at work right now. They "upgraded" to 2007, mostly because they were forced to because they could not get 2003 any more. And it works good enough. I mean, 2007 is a piece of poo, with the giant, screen eating ribbon menus - but it works adequately enough, despite all of the nasty bugs and design flaws. But people keep sending DOCX - which absolutely gets chewed up and spit out as "virus" by the virus scanners on the servers in the corporation - because DOCX (and the other X formats) continue to be verboten by corporate policy.

Of course, it saves in DOC perfectly well, but one has to remember to Save As all the time. Too bad they just didn't have a preference option that would nuke DOCX, and enforce DOC or RTF format. And for myself, my machine can handle DOCX, but a lot of people still have older machines that can't - so it is a real fiasco when someone tried to send DOCX to the rest of the department. (Hence why no one showed up at the last department meeting - document couldn't be opened, or wwas tossed junk on the servers.)
post #80 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarton View Post
Fight the battle against communism with Microsoft Windows! When you use Linux, you're computing with Stalin.
Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt5 View Post
Dude you just agreed with every single thing I said or you stated something that doesn't help windows at all, but your still disagreeing with the overall decision to go Linux. ***?
It is useless to respond to every quote if you agree with every point I made but disagree with the overall conclusion.
I did not agree with everything you said.

And I don't advocate Windows: I hate both GNU/Linux and Windows, so I'm not recommending either. As a freethinker, I don't think of GNU/Linux as some sort of utopia operating system. It has its pros and cons. It's not all positive with Linux. One of the downsides with GNU/Linux, and also the main reason why Linux will never become mainstream, is what TFB touched on: its lack of profit.

That's why Windows (or Mac OS X) will always be more popular because game developers aren't interested in launching their games on an operating system that encourages its users to not buy the software.

Intellectual property is more profitable, for the developers and the economy of a nation in general. That's why Windows will always rule on the desktop market and Linux will always be 1% (unless Linux developers' attitude toward propietary software becomes more lenient, such as Linux Mint e.g., but even that is questionable if it'll help encourage Linux).

Ultimately, it's also a matter of how tech savvy the mainstream is. Most people aren't interested in their computers aside from the internetz (Facebook, Gmail, MSN, Firefox, and of course, the holy pr0n). There's simply no incentive for most people to start using GNU/Linux for their every day internetz habits. Windows is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt5 View Post
But I will do a quick one anyways cause I am sucker.

1. So if installing an OS is hard for anyone, then it that is a tie between MS and linux.
Wrong. Windows does come pre-installed on most OEM computers. And most people want to use Windows, because of its exclusive software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt5 View Post
2. So if everyone keeps downloading porn even if they get viruses, then it would be better if they downloaded porn and didn't get viruses. Linux wins.
Porn can be downloaded without getting infected with viruses and spyware. All that's needed is decent internet security software, like Kaspersky, Norton or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt5 View Post
3. I have done multiple comparisons between MPC and VLC. The differences are minimal. And if you are talking about people who can't even install MS or Ubuntu... they probably don't know the difference between 480p and 1080p. And probably won't notice either.
I disagree, MPC-HC is far superior to VLC, when it comes to playback. VLC has poor implementation of many codecs, it takes way more space, it has seriously inferior subtitle codec implementation and so on.

Moreover, MPC-HC was just a case in point: codec software in general is superior on Windows, not because Windows is great (Windows sucks), but because Windows is the dominant desktop OS, which means developers will focus on it.

An awesome tool like VirtualDub is exclusive to Windows, for example. And avidemux is cross platform, MeGUI exists only on Windows (although some parts of it, like MKVToolnix is cross platform), Nero Digital is Windows only (and Nero Burning ROM is inferior on Linux), etc. etc.

I could go on. But suffice it to say: Windows has better exclusive software. That's why no one cares about Linux, even though GNU/Linux has some serious performance/stability/security advantages over Windows.

Perhaps Russia will make a difference, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt5 View Post
4. Html5 you say? Then that is another tie between MS and Linux and another reason why the switch to linux for most people should be EASY.
HTML5 is an open standard and won't contribute to Microsoft's embrace, extend and extinguish tactics, but it won't exactly convert millions of users to GNU/Linux either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt5 View Post
And actually don't bother responding because it probably will be another thing like this:

And ignoring the fact that the same goes for Windows.
Lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB View Post
Okay, I have to disagree with you on both counts.
You're entitled to your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB View Post
Just because you release something or Linux, doesn't mean you need to release it under GNU GPL.
Yeah, I'm aware of that and that's a strawman fallacy because I never stated that software for GNU/Linux must be GPLed. The GPL (as a software license) however, is Communist in nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB View Post
There is plenty of non-free software on the linux market. A ton of drivers are closed source. There are also pay programs like Maya and a whole bunch of CAD programs. GNU/GPL is nice and most programmers in Linux stick to it but no one is forced to stick with it.
Developers are forced to stick with it once they've released their software under the GPL. They could always ditch their GPL licensed software and start a new software project from scratch, but once they've gone GPL, they can't go back with that particular software. The GNU GPL is known for being restrictive, or "strong copyleft" as Stallman puts it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB View Post
Also, Stallman is a genius. To be frank, he annoys the piss out of me sometimes. He has a huge ego (so does Linus for that matter) but they've earned it. They could have made a fortune like Gates, Woz and Jobs did but they didn't. Linus and RMS both live comfortably from what I gather but they didn't make billions. I would say they both realize that a OS' direction shouldn't be limited to to a few set of minds. Spreading is more important than money.
Both Stallman and Linus are intelligent individuals, I don't question that. But calling them geniuses is overestimating their intelligence. They're no different than most intelligent software developers. Only difference is they were early pioneers in the free open source software movement.

When I think of geniuses, I think of Alighieri, Milton, da Vinci, Newton, Darwin, Tesla, Einstein, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post
I like you used to think the MPC was "superior" but if you ever use mplayer or the front end SMPlayer with the right setting you will realize how bad MPC and all windows players are.
I'll check it out.
Edited by EliasAlucard - 1/1/11 at 10:02am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Geek.com] Russia to adopt Linux as national operating system by 2015