Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Some moneysaving advice for entry level audiophiles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Some moneysaving advice for entry level audiophiles - Page 2

post #11 of 34
Thanks again! I'll be using this thread to set everything up when they arrive.

Edit: I was browsing Craigslist like you suggested and this came up. It says it's Vintage RS Line Realistic STA 700 Amplifier with speakers for $75 bucks. Is this something worth picking up or is it just someone's garbage that they're trying to get rid of?
Edited by Tatakai All - 12/30/10 at 10:23pm
Red October
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (C2) Asus Crosshair V Formula Asus GTX 680 DC2 4GB Mushkin Redline 8GB DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 & Western Digital 640 Black  LiteOn Blu-Ray & Lightscribe CD/DVD Corsair H100 Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23' Samsung LED XL2370 1920x1080 Ducky 9008-G2 OCN Edition (MX Brown) / Ducky Sh... Corsair 750HX Cooler Master HAF 932 - Paint Modded 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Sennheiser HD 595 X-Fi Titanium HD (Modded) Bravo Audio V1 rolled w/ Mastushita  
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 
  hide details  
Reply
Red October
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (C2) Asus Crosshair V Formula Asus GTX 680 DC2 4GB Mushkin Redline 8GB DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 & Western Digital 640 Black  LiteOn Blu-Ray & Lightscribe CD/DVD Corsair H100 Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23' Samsung LED XL2370 1920x1080 Ducky 9008-G2 OCN Edition (MX Brown) / Ducky Sh... Corsair 750HX Cooler Master HAF 932 - Paint Modded 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Sennheiser HD 595 X-Fi Titanium HD (Modded) Bravo Audio V1 rolled w/ Mastushita  
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 34
Thread Starter 
Ooops, wrong amp.
Edited by PhaedraCorruption - 12/30/10 at 11:52pm
post #13 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakai All View Post
Thanks again! I'll be using this thread to set everything up when they arrive.

Edit: I was browsing Craigslist like you suggested and this came up. It says it's Vintage RS Line Realistic STA 700 Amplifier with speakers for $75 bucks. Is this something worth picking up or is it just someone's garbage that they're trying to get rid of?
I'm actually not familiar with Realistic's STA line of amps, they were far before my time and google does not seem to want to relinquish any information on it for me.

Your best bet would be to just ask for a test drive and see if you like what you are hearing.
post #14 of 34
You say the ath-ad700's do not need an amp, but they certainly would sound better with one I assume. I do know that my Asus Xonar has ok "OPAMPS" (and amp of sorts on sound card). When listening to my ath-a700's listening through the sound card versus using my ipod touch I believe there is a significant difference, but this may vary from person to person undoubtedly. In any case, while these are not the same headphones as the ath-ad700's they somewhat similar from what I have gathered. And at that, getting an amp will still provide you with a better quality audio experience in general correct? (I am somewhat of an entry audiophile if you will, so I apologize for stupid questions)
Thanks for the article, + rep.
"The SR-2 Grid"
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2x Xeon e5620 @ 3.4 Ghz Evga SR-2 ATI 5870 ATI 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Nvidia GTS 240 12 GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator OCZ Vertex III ... 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
300 GB WD Velociraptor WD Caviar Blue 640 GB WD Caviar Green 500 GB LG Blu Ray Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 x2 Windows 7 Professional / Snow Leopard/ubuntu/Win 7 LG 55 inch tv, I-Inc 28 inch, Acer 20 Inch, 11.... Corsair K90, Logitech g13 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec CP-1000 Coolermaster Cosmos II Razer DeathAdder Drumpad 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
"The SR-2 Grid"
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2x Xeon e5620 @ 3.4 Ghz Evga SR-2 ATI 5870 ATI 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Nvidia GTS 240 12 GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator OCZ Vertex III ... 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
300 GB WD Velociraptor WD Caviar Blue 640 GB WD Caviar Green 500 GB LG Blu Ray Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 x2 Windows 7 Professional / Snow Leopard/ubuntu/Win 7 LG 55 inch tv, I-Inc 28 inch, Acer 20 Inch, 11.... Corsair K90, Logitech g13 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec CP-1000 Coolermaster Cosmos II Razer DeathAdder Drumpad 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude120 View Post
You say the ath-ad700's do not need an amp, but they certainly would sound better with one I assume. I do know that my Asus Xonar has ok "OPAMPS" (and amp of sorts on sound card). When listening to my ath-a700's listening through the sound card versus using my ipod touch I believe there is a significant difference, but this may vary from person to person undoubtedly. In any case, while these are not the same headphones as the ath-ad700's they somewhat similar from what I have gathered. And at that, getting an amp will still provide you with a better quality audio experience in general correct? (I am somewhat of an entry audiophile if you will, so I apologize for stupid questions)
Thanks for the article, + rep.
Well actually from my experience the AD700s will benefit from a clean source more than a amp. I'm really not quite sure on the A700s.

I believe what you experienced is due to the cleaner source from your sound card verses the muddy garbage apple uses in the iPod Touch.
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedraCorruption View Post
I'm actually not familiar with Realistic's STA line of amps, they were far before my time and google does not seem to want to relinquish any information on it for me.

Your best bet would be to just ask for a test drive and see if you like what you are hearing.
I try to get some pics, don't know if it'll help but it's worth a shot. It comes with Minimus 7 Heavy Full metal casing speakers if that makes any difference.
Red October
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (C2) Asus Crosshair V Formula Asus GTX 680 DC2 4GB Mushkin Redline 8GB DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 & Western Digital 640 Black  LiteOn Blu-Ray & Lightscribe CD/DVD Corsair H100 Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23' Samsung LED XL2370 1920x1080 Ducky 9008-G2 OCN Edition (MX Brown) / Ducky Sh... Corsair 750HX Cooler Master HAF 932 - Paint Modded 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Sennheiser HD 595 X-Fi Titanium HD (Modded) Bravo Audio V1 rolled w/ Mastushita  
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 
  hide details  
Reply
Red October
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (C2) Asus Crosshair V Formula Asus GTX 680 DC2 4GB Mushkin Redline 8GB DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 & Western Digital 640 Black  LiteOn Blu-Ray & Lightscribe CD/DVD Corsair H100 Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23' Samsung LED XL2370 1920x1080 Ducky 9008-G2 OCN Edition (MX Brown) / Ducky Sh... Corsair 750HX Cooler Master HAF 932 - Paint Modded 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Sennheiser HD 595 X-Fi Titanium HD (Modded) Bravo Audio V1 rolled w/ Mastushita  
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 34
The only reservation I have about amps is that I am effectively getting +$100 piece of hardware to connect $90 headphones to. They might improve. At least in my case, I have a laptop, so my current source is some cheap onboard Realtek HD. However, that really worth it? I googled about amping HD555 and there is a lot of advise about how it's not worth it. They do sound pretty good as is. If I ever buy something to power them, I certainly won't pay more than the price of say NuForce UDAC-2.
post #18 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKOH View Post
The only reservation I have about amps is that I am effectively getting +$100 piece of hardware to connect $90 headphones to. They might improve. At least in my case, I have a laptop, so my current source is some cheap onboard Realtek HD. However, that really worth it? I googled about amping HD555 and there is a lot of advise about how it's not worth it. They do sound pretty good as is. If I ever buy something to power them, I certainly won't pay more than the price of say NuForce UDAC-2.
The uDAC or uDAC-2 is more than enough.
post #19 of 34
I gave up on that amp on Craigslist and did another search for amps that you mentioned. I found a MARANTZ PM 325 STEREO AMPLIFIER that I got for $69 shipped. Did I jump the gun or is this worth the price?
Red October
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (C2) Asus Crosshair V Formula Asus GTX 680 DC2 4GB Mushkin Redline 8GB DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 & Western Digital 640 Black  LiteOn Blu-Ray & Lightscribe CD/DVD Corsair H100 Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23' Samsung LED XL2370 1920x1080 Ducky 9008-G2 OCN Edition (MX Brown) / Ducky Sh... Corsair 750HX Cooler Master HAF 932 - Paint Modded 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Sennheiser HD 595 X-Fi Titanium HD (Modded) Bravo Audio V1 rolled w/ Mastushita  
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 
  hide details  
Reply
Red October
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (C2) Asus Crosshair V Formula Asus GTX 680 DC2 4GB Mushkin Redline 8GB DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 & Western Digital 640 Black  LiteOn Blu-Ray & Lightscribe CD/DVD Corsair H100 Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23' Samsung LED XL2370 1920x1080 Ducky 9008-G2 OCN Edition (MX Brown) / Ducky Sh... Corsair 750HX Cooler Master HAF 932 - Paint Modded 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Sennheiser HD 595 X-Fi Titanium HD (Modded) Bravo Audio V1 rolled w/ Mastushita  
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 34
As a further cost saving measure you can use a cheap, used Minidisk recorder as a DAC, connect the digital output to the input of the MD recorder and connect the outputs to your amp, hit record on the Minidisk recorder and the converted signal will be passed right to the Amp, you don't even need a tape in the Minidisk player.
TudjBox.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8Z68V Gen3 PRO Sapphire Radeon HD7970 Corsair Vengeance 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex II Samsung F3 1TB Sony DVD-RW Thermalright Silver Arrow 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 x64 iiyama ProLite 24" 16:9 Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Corsair HX620 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P182 G5 SteelSeries Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 
  hide details  
Reply
TudjBox.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8Z68V Gen3 PRO Sapphire Radeon HD7970 Corsair Vengeance 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex II Samsung F3 1TB Sony DVD-RW Thermalright Silver Arrow 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 x64 iiyama ProLite 24" 16:9 Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Corsair HX620 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P182 G5 SteelSeries Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Some moneysaving advice for entry level audiophiles