Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Corsair TX series changes - what we did, why we did it, and how it affects you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corsair TX series changes - what we did, why we did it, and how it affects you. - Page 9

post #81 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle;11847162 
You have to look at it from both sides of the argument. There a valid reasons for getting a custom loop, as there is for getting a H70.

smile.gif

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so thats why i hate the haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
money$ $y$tem
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 (E0) @ 4.2ghz (1.360) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P 7970 oc windforce, 6870CF, 4870CF an Eyefinity Corsair dominator4gb new GSkill 4gb @ oced 1158mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-V SSD&WD 640gb cav black, 750gb cav blk Windows 7 home premium 64bit Dell 23"LCD 2xBenQs 21.5"LED Eyefinity Razer Black Widow Mech. and Logitech illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX750w Gold before was Ocz gameXtream 850w Silverstone Raven 2 new NZXT Phantom (white) Logitech G 500 steelseries 
Audio
7.2 setup with Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
 
money$ $y$tem
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 (E0) @ 4.2ghz (1.360) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P 7970 oc windforce, 6870CF, 4870CF an Eyefinity Corsair dominator4gb new GSkill 4gb @ oced 1158mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-V SSD&WD 640gb cav black, 750gb cav blk Windows 7 home premium 64bit Dell 23"LCD 2xBenQs 21.5"LED Eyefinity Razer Black Widow Mech. and Logitech illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX750w Gold before was Ocz gameXtream 850w Silverstone Raven 2 new NZXT Phantom (white) Logitech G 500 steelseries 
Audio
7.2 setup with Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairGeorge;11843779 
I think this is a bit incorrect. I think we have to be able to separate our products by product lines - AX, HX, and TX can be 50C, GS can be 40C, and CX can be 30C.

This comment irks the hell out of me. It's like you're saying somebody that only needs about 400w of power should settle for a far inferior product rated at 30c. High quality isn't only for people that use power hungry components.
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 111
so i just checked I have one of the new model tx850w. For the past 3 months I've had this computer I forget the psu is even there because its so quiet and its been perfect for me so far.
my first child
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.2ghz Evga X58 Sli3 2x Gtx 460 @ 820Mhz [SLI] 12GB G skill 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb SSD x2 1TB Western digital Caviar Black 1TB 5900 rpm Seagate (Storage) Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 pro 64 bit Samsung 27" 1920x1080 Saitek Eclipse II Corsair AX 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
Haf X R.A.T. 7 Albino Klipsch Promedia 2.1 w/ 200W sub 
  hide details  
Reply
my first child
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.2ghz Evga X58 Sli3 2x Gtx 460 @ 820Mhz [SLI] 12GB G skill 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb SSD x2 1TB Western digital Caviar Black 1TB 5900 rpm Seagate (Storage) Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 pro 64 bit Samsung 27" 1920x1080 Saitek Eclipse II Corsair AX 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
Haf X R.A.T. 7 Albino Klipsch Promedia 2.1 w/ 200W sub 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7412;11857618 
so i just checked I have one of the new model tx850w. For the past 3 months I've had this computer I forget the psu is even there because its so quiet and its been perfect for me so far.

Quiet PSU =/= Good PSU.

Just sayin'.
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBoy;11857561 
This comment irks the hell out of me. It's like you're saying somebody that only needs about 400w of power should settle for a far inferior product rated at 30c. High quality isn't only for people that use power hungry components.

I don't claim to know the actual figures behind this segment, but I can imagine that the market for a high-quality low-wattage unit is relatively small. Unless if they happen to be the OEM's for large computer-in-a-box builders like HP, Dell, and the like (which they aren't as they don't even make their own units), the profit margins are going to be very slim.

You have to imagine that a person looking to build a cutting edge rig is unlikely to be shopping for a low wattage unit, and a person looking to use a low wattage unit (like in a media PC, for example) isn't necessarily going to want to spend a whole lot of money from the start. Furthermore, if you're going to be using a low-powered system, the parts you pick out for the rest of the build should reflect that and thus end up being cool running in general anyway. So a 30C rating, while not the most glamorous marketing tidbit, in comparison, should still be sufficient for those people's usages.

I realize that I'm generalizing here and this does not necessarily apply to all situations, but the truth is Corsair is not out to do charity work. They are a full-fledged company that is trying to make money, no matter which way you want to slice it. If a company is losing money on a product line, the choice would either be to cut out that line completely or change it. As was said by CorsairGeorge, people were buying the CX400 like hotcakes at ~$40 - whereas $60, not so much. So I ask you this: would you buy a higher quality Corsair ~400W unit if it cost 40-100% more? Even if you might, most wouldn't. wink.gif

This is not particularly a defense for them, but just common business practices.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by covertash;11857886 
I don't claim to know the actual figures behind this segment, but I can imagine that the market for a high-quality low-wattage unit is relatively small. Unless if they happen to be the OEM's for large computer-in-a-box builders like HP, Dell, and the like (which they aren't as they don't even make their own units), the profit margins are going to be very slim.

You have to imagine that a person looking to build a cutting edge rig is unlikely to be shopping for a low wattage unit, and a person looking to use a low wattage unit (like in a media PC, for example) isn't necessarily going to want to spend a whole lot of money from the start. Furthermore, if you're going to be using a low-powered system, the parts you pick out for the rest of the build should reflect that and thus end up being cool running in general anyway. So a 30C rating, while not the most glamorous marketing tidbit, in comparison, should still be sufficient for those people's usages.

I realize that I'm generalizing here and this does not necessarily apply to all situations, but the truth is Corsair is not out to do charity work. They are a full-fledged company that is trying to make money, no matter which way you want to slice it. If a company is losing money on a product line, the choice would either be to cut out that line completely or change it. As was said by CorsairGeorge, people were buying the CX400 like hotcakes at ~$40 - whereas $60, not so much. So I ask you this: would you buy a higher quality Corsair ~400W unit if it cost 40-100% more? Even if you might, most wouldn't. wink.gif

This is not particularly a defense for them, but just common business practices.

Mostly true. But some people recognize that 400W is enough to run even a midrange gaming rig. Some peeople acknowledge that you don't infact need 1kW to run a 6850, and that it can be run on decent 400W.

However, I guess those people can go buy themselves a Seasonic S12II or something and the people just interested in a cheap power supply, can get a CX430.
Unlawful
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 620 ASUS M4A785G-M EVO XFX ATI HD4650 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 830 Seagate Barracude 7200.12 Samsung F3 1TB Windows 7 Home x64 
PowerCase
Seasonic M12-II 430W Modular Cooler Master Elite 332 
  hide details  
Reply
Unlawful
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 620 ASUS M4A785G-M EVO XFX ATI HD4650 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 830 Seagate Barracude 7200.12 Samsung F3 1TB Windows 7 Home x64 
PowerCase
Seasonic M12-II 430W Modular Cooler Master Elite 332 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw;11857931 
Mostly true. But some people recognize that 400W is enough to run even a midrange gaming rig. Some peeople acknowledge that you don't infact need 1kW to run a 6850, and that it can be run on decent 400W.

However, I guess those people can go buy themselves a Seasonic S12II or something and the people just interested in a cheap power supply, can get a CX430.

I completely agree.

There is a lot of conflicting and misinformation out there. Until the last few weeks, I didn't even realize just how capable my own power supply was for my sig rig. If there were a site of some sort that we could refer to, which is able to show exactly what each component consumes, I think that would clear up a lot of the confusion and save a good number of people some money. Unfortunately, there is no unified way of conveying the right information to people, regarding what their actual needs are, since a lot of the calculators out there overestimate for safety reasons as well as marketing reasons.

Still, taking just a quick look at the 400-450W range of PSU's available at Newegg, I think you can do A LOT worse than the CX430. wink.gif
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 111
TheLaw,

While I am in partial agreement, the specs for the 6850 show a500w required

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150516


The 5770 require a 450w

GTX480 even more specific, Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.)

From all the research i have done the lowest wattage PSU anyone suggests for a moderate gaming rig is a 650.
My First Build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-860 2.8/OC'ed 3.60 FPO/batch # L935B730 Asus P7P55d Evo MSI 580 TF II OC 8 Gig Corsiar DDR3 1600 XMP 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 750 Samsung H50, pull/push Win7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2509B 25" 1920x1080 Steelseries backlit Merc Corsiar TX650 Thermatake V9 Black 
MouseAudio
Rat 7 Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
My First Build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-860 2.8/OC'ed 3.60 FPO/batch # L935B730 Asus P7P55d Evo MSI 580 TF II OC 8 Gig Corsiar DDR3 1600 XMP 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 750 Samsung H50, pull/push Win7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2509B 25" 1920x1080 Steelseries backlit Merc Corsiar TX650 Thermatake V9 Black 
MouseAudio
Rat 7 Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spct;11858074 
TheLaw,

While I am in partial agreement, the specs for the 6850 show a500w required

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150516


The 5770 require a 450w

GTX480 even more specific, Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.)

From all the research i have done the lowest wattage PSU anyone suggests for a moderate gaming rig is a 650.

Maybe for a cheap OEM PSU, but a good 400W is more than enough for a 6850. GTX 480 is a bit of a different story.
Edited by TheLaw - 1/1/11 at 7:28pm
Unlawful
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 620 ASUS M4A785G-M EVO XFX ATI HD4650 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 830 Seagate Barracude 7200.12 Samsung F3 1TB Windows 7 Home x64 
PowerCase
Seasonic M12-II 430W Modular Cooler Master Elite 332 
  hide details  
Reply
Unlawful
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 620 ASUS M4A785G-M EVO XFX ATI HD4650 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 830 Seagate Barracude 7200.12 Samsung F3 1TB Windows 7 Home x64 
PowerCase
Seasonic M12-II 430W Modular Cooler Master Elite 332 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by covertash;11858028 
I completely agree.

There is a lot of conflicting and misinformation out there. Until the last few weeks, I didn't even realize just how capable my own power supply was for my sig rig. If there were a site of some sort that we could refer to, which is able to show exactly what each component consumes, I think that would clear up a lot of the confusion and save a good number of people some money. Unfortunately, there is no unified way of conveying the right information to people, regarding what their actual needs are, since a lot of the calculators out there overestimate for safety reasons as well as marketing reasons.

Still, taking just a quick look at the 400-450W range of PSU's available at Newegg, I think you can do A LOT worse than the CX430. wink.gif

Yep. The computer power supply is a pretty ominous subject. People don't know how they work. They don't understand how much power they need...and that can lead to a TON of faulty information and TONS of misconceptions. Unfortunately, it takes a whole lot of manpower to convince a newbie that he shouldn't get that crappy "850W" PSU and trying to convince him to get a quality 400W.
Unlawful
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 620 ASUS M4A785G-M EVO XFX ATI HD4650 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 830 Seagate Barracude 7200.12 Samsung F3 1TB Windows 7 Home x64 
PowerCase
Seasonic M12-II 430W Modular Cooler Master Elite 332 
  hide details  
Reply
Unlawful
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 620 ASUS M4A785G-M EVO XFX ATI HD4650 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 830 Seagate Barracude 7200.12 Samsung F3 1TB Windows 7 Home x64 
PowerCase
Seasonic M12-II 430W Modular Cooler Master Elite 332 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Corsair TX series changes - what we did, why we did it, and how it affects you.