Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TC] California Bill Criminalizing Online Impersonations In Effect Starting Today
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TC] California Bill Criminalizing Online Impersonations In Effect Starting Today - Page 6

post #51 of 103
the art of trolling will die for californians
post #52 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxel View Post
I guess it depends on whether or not the country I am in is going to enforce a British court's judgment.
Well, of course. Until August of this year, such rulings would have been enforceable in the US, thankfully Obama put a stop to that. We're trying to stop it at the source over here.
Current PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k Asus Maximus IV Extreme KFA2 GTX 580 Point of View GTX 580 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP Crucial M4 Some Samsung Custom Water Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit NEC 30 inch Razer Black Widow Corsair AX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone TJ07-S Steelseries Xai Razer Destructor Sennheiser HD 800 
Audio
Asus Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Current PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k Asus Maximus IV Extreme KFA2 GTX 580 Point of View GTX 580 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP Crucial M4 Some Samsung Custom Water Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit NEC 30 inch Razer Black Widow Corsair AX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone TJ07-S Steelseries Xai Razer Destructor Sennheiser HD 800 
Audio
Asus Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 103
Good. They should start by going on all XBOX & PS3 forums and jailing all the little COD kiddies that claim to be veterans from Iraq.

*nerdy voice* "I waz veteran fromz Iraq, I got 24 headshots with my Barret"

the best one

Fake Veteran "LOADING M203!" *Nerd Voice*

Me "Why do you say that?"

Fake Veteran "Oh in Iraq that's what were trained to do before we load the gun"

Me "Uh huh"

Fake Veteran "SHOTS FIRED! ENEMY SOUTH EAST!"

Me "Now where exactly are you getting N,S,E & W from?" *There was nothing, no minimap or compass... lolfail.




People like that should get punched in the face.
post #54 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdTriton View Post
Since everyone is hating on California, (even though approximately 1 in 8 U.S. citizens are also citizens of California), and since California is so "backwards", the Golden State should simply close its doors and coffers for one year and see how things go.
California by itself has the 8th largest economy in the world and over the last two decades California has put over $3.65 billion USD more on average per year into the Federal coffers than it receives in Federal services. The other 49 states may hate us, but in many ways, they couldn't live without us.

EDIT: Plus...Eff with us and no more horrible movies or overpriced technology to waste your money on.
Per capita the revenue California contributes to the federal government is average. $3.65 billion is chump change in the $4,500 billion dollar revenue the US takes in. Although, I must say it is extremely progressive of California to elect actors to the office of governor twice.

EDIT: Bad fact. $2,100 billion.
Edited by kaxel - 1/2/11 at 6:57pm
post #55 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxel View Post
I don't think it is clear he is wrong. Your argument is bad. You have no established that state law should apply to the internet. You are making a normative claim without clear justification. Just because a woman made an account and subsequently a girl killed herself doesn't clearly support your normative claim. If I call you ugly and you kill yourself, that's your bad.
I'm under the impression that laws that concern the internet are dependent on the state the person is residing in. Simple as that.

You post on the internet on a computer located in CA, you're subject to CA laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxel View Post
Per capita the revenue California contributes to the federal government is average. $3.65 billion is chump change in the $4,500 billion dollar revenue the US takes in. Although, I must say it is extremely progressive of California to elect actors to the office of governor twice.
Lets put this another way, CA and NY far and away pay more federal taxes than they receive. To the tune of about $20 to $50 BILLION more a year, per year, over the last 10 yrs AT LEAST.

http://calrepublic.tripod.com/facts.html - According to this, the CA/US federal spending deficit was $6 billion.... IN 1995. It has grown to an average of around $35 billion per year.

http://www.coverageforall.org/pdf/FH...ding_Flyer.pdf - This may be what the other poster was referring to, but this is a CA/US deficit of $3.4 billion JUST FOR MEDICARE.


If you think something like $200 to $500 billion over 10 years is 'chump change' then please give it back to us. We would not only NOT have a budget issue in CA, we'd be SWIMMING in money and would be able to reduce our taxes which ironically states like Texas can do because they receive about the same amount that they pay.
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 1/2/11 at 7:04pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 103
so will i go to jail because my steam account says i'm 17 not 15?
My first rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 750 @3.7ghz Asus P7P55D-e Pro 2 x MSI Cyclone GTX 460 4gb G.Skill DDR3 @1600 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1tb Hitachi Deskstar LG generic drive Corsair H50 Win7 64 Bit Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VW246H 24" LCD 2ms Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX 750w Modular PSU CM 690 II Advanced 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
My first rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 750 @3.7ghz Asus P7P55D-e Pro 2 x MSI Cyclone GTX 460 4gb G.Skill DDR3 @1600 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1tb Hitachi Deskstar LG generic drive Corsair H50 Win7 64 Bit Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VW246H 24" LCD 2ms Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX 750w Modular PSU CM 690 II Advanced 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_clayman View Post
so will i go to jail because my steam account says i'm 17 not 15?


You're being sarcastic, right?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
I'm under the impression that laws that concern the internet are dependent on the state the person is residing in. Simple as that.

You post on the internet on a computer located in CA, you're subject to CA laws.



Lets put this another way, CA and NY far and away pay more federal taxes than they receive. To the tune of about $20 to $50 BILLION more a year, per year, over the last 10 yrs AT LEAST.

http://calrepublic.tripod.com/facts.html - According to this, the CA/US federal spending deficit was $6 billion.... IN 1996

http://www.coverageforall.org/pdf/FH...ding_Flyer.pdf - This is what the other poster was referring to, but this is a CA/US deficit of $3.4 billion JUST FOR MEDICARE.
Per capita California gives about $8,500 per citizen to the federal government. The national average is about $8,500 per citizen. $20 to $50 billion is a wildly broad range, either of which over ten years is chump change in the US budget. In the last ten years the US has spent something in the realm of 10 trillion dollars. That is equal to 10,000 billion dollars. 10,000 billion - 50 billion = 9,950 billion. Thanks for the HUGE contribution. In any case it is not California that pays to the federal government. It is the citizens of California. In case after case in the Supreme court it has been held that citizens of the US have a direct relationship to the federal government. It isn't California paying. It is citizens of the United States. If you take away Californians' average tax contribution it isn't a big deal. It is average.

EDIT: More Bad Facts. Actual US Spending 2000-2010 = 27 trillion dollars.
Edited by kaxel - 1/2/11 at 7:10pm
post #59 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxel View Post
Per capita California gives about $8,500 per citizen to the federal government. The national average is about $8,500 per citizen. $20 to $50 billion is a wildly broad range, either of which over ten years is chump change in the US budget. In the last ten years the US has spent something in the realm of 10 trillion dollars. That is equal to 10,000 billion dollars. 10,000 billion - 50 billion = 9,950 billion. Thanks for the HUGE contribution. In any case it is not California that pays to the federal government. It is the citizens of California. In case after case in the Supreme court it has been held that citizens of the US have a direct relationship to the federal government. It isn't California paying. It is citizens of the United States. If you take away Californians' average tax contribution it isn't a big deal. It is average.

EDIT: More Bad Facts. Actual US Spending 2000-2010 = 27 trillion dollars.

Per capita, federal tax contributions from California are only slightly higher than your state, Missouri. However, thats because California has so many dang people; 36.5 million compared to 5.8 million in Missouri. In total contributions, California vastly exceeds; $314 billion in 2007, compared to $48.5 billion.

EDIT: Much of California's population is comprised of non-native Californian's which largely can be divided into two groups. The best and brightest from all the other states, as well as other nations; and all the kooks, creeps, and wackos from those same places.

US = Melting pot.
CA = Melting pot within a melting pot.
Edited by ColdTriton - 1/2/11 at 8:07pm
Nihilinux
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 840  ASRock M3A770DE+  Sapphire R9 270 X Vapor-X 2GB 14GB G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA6Gb/s  Modded/Machined ThermalTake SilentBoost  LinuxMint17/Windows 7 Ultimate 46" Insignia NS-46D40SNA14 /19" HP w1907 
PowerCase
1000 Antec TruePower Quatro  Modded/Painted (Black/Orange) Antec PlusView 10... 
  hide details  
Reply
Nihilinux
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 840  ASRock M3A770DE+  Sapphire R9 270 X Vapor-X 2GB 14GB G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA6Gb/s  Modded/Machined ThermalTake SilentBoost  LinuxMint17/Windows 7 Ultimate 46" Insignia NS-46D40SNA14 /19" HP w1907 
PowerCase
1000 Antec TruePower Quatro  Modded/Painted (Black/Orange) Antec PlusView 10... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxel View Post
Per capita California gives about $8,500 per citizen to the federal government. The national average is about $8,500 per citizen.
What we pay per capita does not matter. The effective point is that CA gets .80 to every $1 it pays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxel View Post
$20 to $50 billion is a wildly broad range, either of which over ten years is chump change in the US budget.
That's PER year over the last 10 yrs at LEAST, and while it's chump change to the total US economy when you include Social Security and Medicare, it's not to CA.

http://www.calinst.org/pubs/balance2003.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxel View Post
In the last ten years the US has spent something in the realm of 10 trillion dollars. That is equal to 10,000 billion dollars. 10,000 billion - 50 billion = 9,950 billion. Thanks for the HUGE contribution.
The actual contribution of CA taxes is much greater. I just told you what the 20% difference was ( CA getting .80 back for every $1 ). In total taxes, CA gives something around $250 billion per year. So yeah, you're welcome.... But you're missing the point.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/22685.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxel View Post
In any case it is not California that pays to the federal government. It is the citizens of California. In case after case in the Supreme court it has been held that citizens of the US have a direct relationship to the federal government. It isn't California paying. It is citizens of the United States. If you take away Californians' average tax contribution it isn't a big deal. It is average.

EDIT: More Bad Facts. Actual US Spending 2000-2010 = 27 trillion dollars.
No need to repeat yourself 3 times. I got your point from earlier. Still, you seem to not get MY point. You seem to be busy arguing the semantics of CA's contribution to the US. You also seem stuck on CA's per capita tax contribution because that seems to suit your needs in making CA's federal tax payment surplus seem smaller than it is.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdTriton View Post
US = Melting pot.
CA = Melting pot within a melting pot.
More like

US costal/border states = Melting pot
Rest of US = Homogeneous
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 1/2/11 at 11:20pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TC] California Bill Criminalizing Online Impersonations In Effect Starting Today