Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Adding a custom window to my CM690 II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adding a custom window to my CM690 II

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
As the title states, I have a CM690 II and would like a side panel with a window. I already own the one that Coolermaster supplies but I am ready for a change and would like to attempt to mod the stock side panel which looks like this

I would like to either keep the bottom fan port or mod in a whole new fan port in order to help cool my GTS 250 which is folding 24/7

Any ideas?
Edited by uno_zapdos_tres - 1/3/11 at 7:09am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel Core i7 860 at 4.0GHz HT on 1.31V| |Asus P7P55D Pro| |GTX 260 OC, GTS 250 OC (Folding 24/7)| |4GB Corsair xms3 at 1458 MHz, 8-8-8-20| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|WD 500GB Blue SATA, WD 500GB Black SATA| |Windows 7 Premium (64-bit)| |Asus 24" at 1920x1080, HP 19" at 1440x900| |Corsiar TX850W| 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
|Cooler Master 690 II Advanced| |Razer Naga| |Razer Goliathus Standard| 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel Core i7 860 at 4.0GHz HT on 1.31V| |Asus P7P55D Pro| |GTX 260 OC, GTS 250 OC (Folding 24/7)| |4GB Corsair xms3 at 1458 MHz, 8-8-8-20| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|WD 500GB Blue SATA, WD 500GB Black SATA| |Windows 7 Premium (64-bit)| |Asus 24" at 1920x1080, HP 19" at 1440x900| |Corsiar TX850W| 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
|Cooler Master 690 II Advanced| |Razer Naga| |Razer Goliathus Standard| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Thread Starter 
anyone? I need ideas!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel Core i7 860 at 4.0GHz HT on 1.31V| |Asus P7P55D Pro| |GTX 260 OC, GTS 250 OC (Folding 24/7)| |4GB Corsair xms3 at 1458 MHz, 8-8-8-20| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|WD 500GB Blue SATA, WD 500GB Black SATA| |Windows 7 Premium (64-bit)| |Asus 24" at 1920x1080, HP 19" at 1440x900| |Corsiar TX850W| 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
|Cooler Master 690 II Advanced| |Razer Naga| |Razer Goliathus Standard| 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel Core i7 860 at 4.0GHz HT on 1.31V| |Asus P7P55D Pro| |GTX 260 OC, GTS 250 OC (Folding 24/7)| |4GB Corsair xms3 at 1458 MHz, 8-8-8-20| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|WD 500GB Blue SATA, WD 500GB Black SATA| |Windows 7 Premium (64-bit)| |Asus 24" at 1920x1080, HP 19" at 1440x900| |Corsiar TX850W| 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
|Cooler Master 690 II Advanced| |Razer Naga| |Razer Goliathus Standard| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
I am in the process of doing the same thing. I plan to cut 70% of the side off add new ones(thinking 4x 80mm or 2x120mm) or room for a 200mm on the window for gpu cooling. I just need to get another Dremel and i get can start. When i get home from work i will send pics of my plans.
As-Is rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A8-5600K Trinity 3.6GHz ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HD... EVGA GTX 460 1gb 6gb patriot ddr3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
320gb  cheapo artic 92mm cooler Win 7 64bit Asus 23.5" 
PowerCase
ocz modstream 600w bitfenix prodigy 
  hide details  
Reply
As-Is rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A8-5600K Trinity 3.6GHz ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HD... EVGA GTX 460 1gb 6gb patriot ddr3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
320gb  cheapo artic 92mm cooler Win 7 64bit Asus 23.5" 
PowerCase
ocz modstream 600w bitfenix prodigy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
I bought a 10x12 inch piece of acrylic with a 120mm fan cutout right where I wanted it for like $12 online. Can't remember where I bought it I searched around because FrozenCPU and Xoxide were a bit more than I was willing to pay for my first window.

Found this for you that might be to your liking. http://www.crazypc.com/products/PX821951.html
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K P8P67 Pro EVGA GTX 970 SSC EVGA GTX 970 SSC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600 Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB Samsung 840 Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS PB278Q CM QFR Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 HAF XB 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G500 Steel Series QCK X-Fi Titanium Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K P8P67 Pro EVGA GTX 970 SSC EVGA GTX 970 SSC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600 Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB Samsung 840 Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS PB278Q CM QFR Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 HAF XB 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G500 Steel Series QCK X-Fi Titanium Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
From extensive modding of the first 690 and having a true, I suggest making a window by taking both fan slots out and 3-4 inches further (towards the front of the case from the end of the fan slots). In the Plexiglas you'd want to bore a 120mm fan hole a bit lower than the 2nd fan on your push pull if it's flowing north/south. A powerful 120mm fan would be mounted there, in line with the NB and your card. Then you'd want to change the orientation of the fan where you blow the top two fans in a downward motion, the push pull on the cooler in a north/south orientation pushing air downward as well. Then the NB/Vcard will be the hottest portion of the PC. Then the powerful (2000rpm or the like) fan mounted on the Plexiglas can act as the exhaust fan blowing it out.

This will allow you to showcase your cooler, ram, and video card while giving you the best airflow and case cooling possible.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Doh eVGA 759 Classy Gigabyte GTX 470 6 gb Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80gb SSD, 2x640 Black, 2x1TB Green, 640 Green Samsung DVD-RW W7 64bit 1920x1200 Asus 25.5 incher 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Realforce 86ub + HHKbp2 Silverstone Zeus 850W Ravenfish Rayzor Naga | Sseries Xai 
Mouse Pad
Rayzor Sphex | PT Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Doh eVGA 759 Classy Gigabyte GTX 470 6 gb Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80gb SSD, 2x640 Black, 2x1TB Green, 640 Green Samsung DVD-RW W7 64bit 1920x1200 Asus 25.5 incher 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Realforce 86ub + HHKbp2 Silverstone Zeus 850W Ravenfish Rayzor Naga | Sseries Xai 
Mouse Pad
Rayzor Sphex | PT Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boi 1da View Post
I am in the process of doing the same thing. I plan to cut 70% of the side off add new ones(thinking 4x 80mm or 2x120mm) or room for a 200mm on the window for gpu cooling. I just need to get another Dremel and i get can start. When i get home from work i will send pics of my plans.
thanks! i look forward to seeing it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro422 View Post
I bought a 10x12 inch piece of acrylic with a 120mm fan cutout right where I wanted it for like $12 online. Can't remember where I bought it I searched around because FrozenCPU and Xoxide were a bit more than I was willing to pay for my first window.

Found this for you that might be to your liking. http://www.crazypc.com/products/PX821951.html
this may do the trick if i position it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowtoblerone View Post
From extensive modding of the first 690 and having a true, I suggest making a window by taking both fan slots out and 3-4 inches further (towards the front of the case from the end of the fan slots). In the Plexiglas you'd want to bore a 120mm fan hole a bit lower than the 2nd fan on your push pull if it's flowing north/south. A powerful 120mm fan would be mounted there, in line with the NB and your card. Then you'd want to change the orientation of the fan where you blow the top two fans in a downward motion, the push pull on the cooler in a north/south orientation pushing air downward as well. Then the NB/Vcard will be the hottest portion of the PC. Then the powerful (2000rpm or the like) fan mounted on the Plexiglas can act as the exhaust fan blowing it out.

This will allow you to showcase your cooler, ram, and video card while giving you the best airflow and case cooling possible.
i might just have to do this
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel Core i7 860 at 4.0GHz HT on 1.31V| |Asus P7P55D Pro| |GTX 260 OC, GTS 250 OC (Folding 24/7)| |4GB Corsair xms3 at 1458 MHz, 8-8-8-20| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|WD 500GB Blue SATA, WD 500GB Black SATA| |Windows 7 Premium (64-bit)| |Asus 24" at 1920x1080, HP 19" at 1440x900| |Corsiar TX850W| 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
|Cooler Master 690 II Advanced| |Razer Naga| |Razer Goliathus Standard| 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel Core i7 860 at 4.0GHz HT on 1.31V| |Asus P7P55D Pro| |GTX 260 OC, GTS 250 OC (Folding 24/7)| |4GB Corsair xms3 at 1458 MHz, 8-8-8-20| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|WD 500GB Blue SATA, WD 500GB Black SATA| |Windows 7 Premium (64-bit)| |Asus 24" at 1920x1080, HP 19" at 1440x900| |Corsiar TX850W| 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
|Cooler Master 690 II Advanced| |Razer Naga| |Razer Goliathus Standard| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Hi all, this is my hand-made side panel (laser-cutting):



Here are the drafts for AutoCAD 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Adding a custom window to my CM690 II