Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Any point of overclocking a GTX570 with only 3.2 ghz q9550?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any point of overclocking a GTX570 with only 3.2 ghz q9550?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Yes, yet another thread about cpu bottlenecks and the 570. Still, I havent found an answer to my specific question. I'm considering doing a small overclock on the GTX570 I get tomorrow, as it seems like an easy oc.

However, I got a really bad oc'er in my q9550, so I keep it at 3.2 ghz for as little cabinet fan noise as possible and because I generally have bad ventilation in my small computer/music room (its around 67-68 degrees even at 3.2 with a TRUE - small FFT's). I could oc the cpu to 3.4 but then everything heats up quite a bit more all over the board and require me to turn up the fans to feel safe + add the sidefan again. I got the curse of using my pc for both music recording and gaming, which is not easy to balance to say the least (also need a pci slot for the breakout audio card which is a hassle).

Anyhow, my question is: Should I just keep the 570 at stock until I decide to upgrade the whole thing (cpu, motherboard and and ram) or should I just go for a 800/2000 oc on the 570 even if I'm a tad too low on the cpu?

Any input appreciated (PS: looking forward to tomorrow like a little kid).
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ti@2.012ghz 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance@1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1xSamsung SSD 500 mb, 1xCorsair M550 SSD 1 tb, ... Cryorig R1 Universal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 27" Asus pb278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750W Corsair Obsidian 550d Logitech gx9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ti@2.012ghz 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance@1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1xSamsung SSD 500 mb, 1xCorsair M550 SSD 1 tb, ... Cryorig R1 Universal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 27" Asus pb278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750W Corsair Obsidian 550d Logitech gx9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 21
A q9550 @ 3.2ghz does not bottleneck a GTX 570. Or any single card for that matter. Especially at your resolution.

Your GTX 570 is doing practically all the work with a high resolution, so yes, overclocking will help.
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicProne View Post
A q9550 @ 3.2ghz does not bottleneck a GTX 570. Or any single card for that matter. Especially at your resolution.

Your GTX 570 is doing practically all the work with a high resolution, so yes, overclocking will help.
Thanks PanicProne, much appreciated. Exactly what I wanted to hear. +rep

1920x1200 is practical that way. I'm not really that interested in getting high benches at low resolutions anyways.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ti@2.012ghz 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance@1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1xSamsung SSD 500 mb, 1xCorsair M550 SSD 1 tb, ... Cryorig R1 Universal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 27" Asus pb278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750W Corsair Obsidian 550d Logitech gx9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ti@2.012ghz 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance@1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1xSamsung SSD 500 mb, 1xCorsair M550 SSD 1 tb, ... Cryorig R1 Universal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 27" Asus pb278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750W Corsair Obsidian 550d Logitech gx9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ihao View Post
Thanks PanicProne, much appreciated. Exactly what I wanted to hear. +rep

1920x1200 is practical that way. I'm not really that interested in getting high benches at low resolutions anyways.
At that resolution, the Q9550 is more than enough, for many years
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 21
As PP has said, a Q9550 will not bottleneck any single card, so it'll be worth overclocking for sure
post #6 of 21
It's always 'worth' overclocking your GPU, no matter what proc you have. Even if your proc is really old and slow, there's still plenty of games out there w/low CPU dependency where you'll get a FPS advantage from the GPU OC. Esp. if you're running a high res and high IQ settings.

And just for the sake of clarity, the reason that raising the resolution and (most) IQ settings helps removes a CPU bottleneck is because it lowers FPS, not because it causes a shift in the balance of the amount of 'work' done by GPU vs CPU.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
And just for the sake of clarity, the reason that raising the resolution and (most) IQ settings helps removes a CPU bottleneck is because it lowers FPS, not because it causes a shift in the balance of the amount of 'work' done by GPU vs CPU.
↑ This...
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
And just for the sake of clarity, the reason that raising the resolution and (most) IQ settings helps removes a CPU bottleneck is because it lowers FPS, not because it causes a shift in the balance of the amount of 'work' done by GPU vs CPU.
Yupp. I know, but its good to hear YOU say it hehe

Seriously though, what I meant by clumsily saying "practical" was that higher resolutions have "calmed down" the chase for the golden goose (200-300 fps and so forth in benching) for me and that I rather focus on real life performance with high IQ. Any overhead is good for using vertical sync, as I honestly cant stand gaming on my 26 inch with tearing

Glad to hear you guys confirm this. GTX570 oc, here I come.
Edited by Chris Ihao - 1/4/11 at 2:20pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ti@2.012ghz 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance@1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1xSamsung SSD 500 mb, 1xCorsair M550 SSD 1 tb, ... Cryorig R1 Universal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 27" Asus pb278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750W Corsair Obsidian 550d Logitech gx9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ti@2.012ghz 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance@1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1xSamsung SSD 500 mb, 1xCorsair M550 SSD 1 tb, ... Cryorig R1 Universal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 27" Asus pb278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750W Corsair Obsidian 550d Logitech gx9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 21
hmm, interesting. If the OP doesn't mind me asking since I had a similar question:
What about my Q6600? I have it at stock atm and decided to re-oc back to 3Ghz to remove any bottlenecks wwith my GTX570(although I was surprised such could occur at 1080p). I keep getting errors in orthos 18min in running 2 instances, one being blend(cores 0 and 1-tests cpu and memory) and stresscpu(cores 2 and 3-testing only cpu).

I can't increase voltage more since my temps at load hit a max of 68C, mostly hovering around 66C or so and to me, that's getting too high for my comfort. I even ran 3DMark 11 after and before ocing with the difference being 11 points I remember when doing such a oc made a much bigger difference in 06(not sure about vantage), guessing my Q6600 is getting old :/

So, curious what do you guys think?

P.S. OP, if you rather I remove this post, inform me and I'll make another thread
P.S.x2 True increasing IQ and resolution cause a decrease in fps but how is that removing a cpu bottleneck?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 2.40GHZ Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L MSI GTX570 @ stock Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 250GB Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung SW2494 24" Antec Earthpower 650W 
Case
Apevia X-Plorer 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 2.40GHZ Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L MSI GTX570 @ stock Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 250GB Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung SW2494 24" Antec Earthpower 650W 
Case
Apevia X-Plorer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFan View Post
hmm, interesting. If the OP doesn't mind me asking since I had a similar question:
No worries mate. I got my answers Just a question regarding that cpu oc. Have you raised the NB voltages properly? Worth trying to raise that one a notch, if you havent already tried it.

Thread is yours;
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ti@2.012ghz 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance@1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1xSamsung SSD 500 mb, 1xCorsair M550 SSD 1 tb, ... Cryorig R1 Universal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 27" Asus pb278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750W Corsair Obsidian 550d Logitech gx9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ti@2.012ghz 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance@1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1xSamsung SSD 500 mb, 1xCorsair M550 SSD 1 tb, ... Cryorig R1 Universal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 27" Asus pb278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750W Corsair Obsidian 550d Logitech gx9 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Any point of overclocking a GTX570 with only 3.2 ghz q9550?