Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Warning: Sandy Bridge Hardware Level DRM, Killswitch, & H67 P67 Recalls!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Warning: Sandy Bridge Hardware Level DRM, Killswitch, & H67 P67 Recalls! - Page 42  

post #411 of 484
Stop spreading misinformation bigcactus. Some less informed people might actually think there is some truth to what you are saying.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
post #412 of 484
Any other old-schoolers remember this?
HP Pavilion dm1z
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Fusion E-350 Radeon HD 6310M 8GB Corsair DDR3 Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium 11.6" 
  hide details  
HP Pavilion dm1z
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Fusion E-350 Radeon HD 6310M 8GB Corsair DDR3 Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium 11.6" 
  hide details  
post #413 of 484
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFrost View Post
Which is . . . ? ? ? *silence*



That would be an interesting security vulnerability, seeing how someone would first have to break into my house, swap my motherboard, sign it up for a security plan, etc.

REAL INFO: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...echnology.html


Now if you really want to be afraid about DRM / Kill switches take a look at the evil thing called . . . Windows 7. :0

You are making this NON issue sound like . . .
Unfortunately you are just regurgitating information that Intel feeds you and trusting what they say. How many times has a bullet proof security feature in the tech industry been implemented and compromised? Plenty of times.

Intel also said that this Intel Insider isn't DRM...and everyone who knows what DRM is...knows that Intel is lying? Care to comment on this? Didn't think so.

As long as there is a gateway left open to activate the killswitch(even when the processor is not on, mind you) someone will learn how to use the killswitch through a non-conventional method....

That is the very nature of a security breach.

Think of it this way in laymen terms:

Getting access to the Killswitch feature is like a tall prison gate with barbed wire. It was created so that a person would have to climb the fence and get caught in the barbed wire, so that they get maimed in the process, and can't activate it. The legitimate people who want to use that feature are allowed through the gate by the prison guard(In this case, Intel).

However the people that are not allowed through that gate(who want to turn your cpu off through the killswitch with some kind of malicious intent) with the right tools, with laser cutters or wire cutters will simply figure out that they can just cut a hole to get past that gate rather than climb over the fence and get maimed by the barb wire as the creator intended.

Simple as that.
Edited by BigCactus - 1/16/11 at 5:34am
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
post #414 of 484
Killswitch is only on mobile cpus, this is overclock.net with desktops.

The "DRM" is not even active when separate GPU is used, which again doesnt apply to this forum.

BigCactus, seriously I think you should go to this forum here, these people dont have a clue of the evil that awaits them:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/

These people could actually have cpus with those evil killswitches...but warning it may take you months to convince everyone, while you will undoubtedly be missed, we all understand your mission is vital. We will try to carry on without you for the next year or so, but it will be difficult.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6900K 4.4ghz  MSI X99A Krait Titan XP Gskill 32GB 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB OS Samsung 850 pro 1TB games D5, XT45 280 rad, Nemesis 280 rad,  Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer Predator XB271HU 144hz Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Fractal Design R5 
  hide details  
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6900K 4.4ghz  MSI X99A Krait Titan XP Gskill 32GB 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB OS Samsung 850 pro 1TB games D5, XT45 280 rad, Nemesis 280 rad,  Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer Predator XB271HU 144hz Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Fractal Design R5 
  hide details  
post #415 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus View Post
Unfortunately you are just regurgitating information that Intel feeds you and trusting what they say. How many times has a bullet proof security feature in the tech industry been implemented and compromised? Plenty of times.
I believe that they know how there technology works better then you do. Please try reading Intel's documents about how this technology functions.
Throughout this thread you have demonstrated a fundamental lack of knowledge when it comes to this issue. Please read up on it before posting misinformation. Ignorance is not bliss.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus View Post
Intel also said that this Intel Insider isn't DRM...and everyone who knows what DRM is...knows that Intel is lying? Care to comment on this? Didn't think so.
I will comment on this thank you.

The Intel insider technology is multifaceted. It requires both a hardware and a software element to function. The hardware element for Intel Insider is built into the on die graphics processor. If you are using a P67 motherboard, you can't even use the Intel Insider service if you wanted to. Do I believe that this is DRM? At the fundamental level no. The service is actually Digital Content Protection, not rights management. The Intel Insider service only protects the stream itself. The DRM side of it is controlled by the Intel Insider service providers (Wanner Brothers shop, CinemaNow) not the Intel Insider itself. Intel Insider is basically HDCP 2.0, the protection "encryption" of the movie stream.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus View Post
As long as there is a gateway left open to activate the killswitch(even when the processor is not on, mind you) someone will learn how to use the killswitch through a non-conventional method....
Again as I have stated before, it is not possible for the current desktop systems to have this happen.

Quote:
These laptops require
specific Intel AT-capable BIOS and firmware versions,
which will be included with the platform or available from
the OEM as an update (please consult with the OEM).
It will only work with laptops. You also have to sign up for a plan to get it to even work. It is not a free feature: http://antitheft.intel.com/get-service.aspx


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus View Post

That is the very nature of a security breach.

Think of it this way in laymen terms:

Getting access to the Killswitch feature is like a tall prison gate with barbed wire. It was created so that a person would have to climb the fence and get caught in the barbed wire, so that they get maimed in the process, and can't activate it. The legitimate people who want to use that feature are allowed through the gate by the prison guard(In this case, Intel).

However the people that are not allowed through that gate(who want to turn your cpu off through the killswitch with some kind of malicious intent) with the right tools, with laser cutters or wire cutters will simply figure out that they can just cut a hole to get past that gate rather than climb over the fence and get maimed by the barb wire as the creator intended.

Simple as that.
Again read about how it works. It is not a possibility for a desktop to have this happen.
ColdCut
(14 items)
 
YetiKube
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x Asus Rampage V Extreme  XFX 295x2 Core Hydro Edition CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 Pro  Samsung 850 EVO Western Digital Black 3TB  LG Bluray Burner 16x 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
H110i GT Windows 8.1 Pro Asus 4k Corsair AX1500i  
CaseAudio
Corsair 900D Stock 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(1) 2500K ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 GTX 780 Classified Mushkin 996995 DDR3 1600 (2 Sticks) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro (1) 150GB Western Digital Raptor (1) 1TB Western Digital Black Caviar (1) Samsung SATA DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Windows 8.1 LG 21:9 Ultrawide 34" 3440x1440 Filco 114 key (Blue Cherry) / HHKB Pro 2 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850W - 850W Mountain Mods - U2 UFO Orginal - Gloss Black Logitech G400 / Razer Deathadder BE Razer Goliathus Extended / Artisan Hien VE (Sof... 
AudioOtherOther
Creative Sounds Blaster X-FI Titanium HD Asus USB N-53 Wireless USB adapter  12 Case Fans 
  hide details  
ColdCut
(14 items)
 
YetiKube
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x Asus Rampage V Extreme  XFX 295x2 Core Hydro Edition CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 Pro  Samsung 850 EVO Western Digital Black 3TB  LG Bluray Burner 16x 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
H110i GT Windows 8.1 Pro Asus 4k Corsair AX1500i  
CaseAudio
Corsair 900D Stock 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(1) 2500K ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 GTX 780 Classified Mushkin 996995 DDR3 1600 (2 Sticks) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro (1) 150GB Western Digital Raptor (1) 1TB Western Digital Black Caviar (1) Samsung SATA DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Windows 8.1 LG 21:9 Ultrawide 34" 3440x1440 Filco 114 key (Blue Cherry) / HHKB Pro 2 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850W - 850W Mountain Mods - U2 UFO Orginal - Gloss Black Logitech G400 / Razer Deathadder BE Razer Goliathus Extended / Artisan Hien VE (Sof... 
AudioOtherOther
Creative Sounds Blaster X-FI Titanium HD Asus USB N-53 Wireless USB adapter  12 Case Fans 
  hide details  
post #416 of 484
according to this it has a 3g based kill switch? so your telling me that these chips have 3g built in? AWESOME but why are they putting 3g into a CPU when they should be making octo-core 22nm chips that can reach 34gHz.
Triggers broom
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R  Gigabyte GTX460 Super Talent 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Barracuda LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive EK Supreme LXT EK 240 Rad 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK big res and 2.2 pump Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2159v  Razer Arctosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX600 Xigmatek Midgard Razer Abyssus Steelseries cheapo one 
AudioOther
Sony TA-D607 iPhone 4 
  hide details  
Triggers broom
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R  Gigabyte GTX460 Super Talent 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Barracuda LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive EK Supreme LXT EK 240 Rad 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK big res and 2.2 pump Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2159v  Razer Arctosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX600 Xigmatek Midgard Razer Abyssus Steelseries cheapo one 
AudioOther
Sony TA-D607 iPhone 4 
  hide details  
post #417 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockZoR IV View Post
according to this it has a 3g based kill switch? so your telling me that these chips have 3g built in? AWESOME but why are they putting 3g into a CPU when they should be making octo-core 22nm chips that can reach 34gHz.

How in the world would you cool it?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon w3680 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R GTX 295 Engineering Samples 2X Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk SSD Seagate Corsair H50 W7 Ult 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Viewsonic VA1912wb Viewsonic VA912b K350 CM HAF 
Mouse
Logitech M570 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon w3680 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R GTX 295 Engineering Samples 2X Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk SSD Seagate Corsair H50 W7 Ult 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Viewsonic VA1912wb Viewsonic VA912b K350 CM HAF 
Mouse
Logitech M570 
  hide details  
post #418 of 484
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFrost View Post
Do I believe that this is DRM? At the fundamental level no. The service is actually Digital Content Protection, not rights management. The Intel Insider service only protects the stream itself. The DRM side of it is controlled by the Intel Insider service providers (Wanner Brothers shop, CinemaNow) not the Intel Insider itself. Intel Insider is basically HDCP 2.0, the protection "encryption" of the movie stream.

Again read about how it works. It is not a possibility for a desktop to have this happen.
Actually it's DRM plain and simple, at it's "fundamental level."

Pay attention, this is the definition of DRM:

"Digital rights management is a term for access control technologies that can be used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals to limit the use of digital content and devices. The term is used to describe any technology that inhibits uses of digital content not desired or intended by the content provider."

It doesn't get any more fundamental than that. I mean you want us to take you seriously but come on...it's full blown hardware DRM built inside the chip, in all desktop/laptop sandy bridge processors. No one else will argue this, except Intel. Buy into it by all means, the performance of SB I think is actually worth it. Just remember this is just a stepping stone to even more invasive hardware DRM in your desktop.
Edited by BigCactus - 1/16/11 at 11:36am
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD C-50 1.0ghz ATI 6250 2GB 32GB SSD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
External DVDRW Ubuntu / Windows Vista 9 watt AC adapter :\ Acer Tablet 
  hide details  
post #419 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus View Post
1) Sandy Bridge's killswitch works even without the PC being powered on (over a 3G network)! All future Intel CPU's will be equipped with one.
tl;dr

Oh, really? I HIGHLY doubt they implemented a 3g modem in their processor just for killswitch capabilities... Not to mention powering the damn 3g modem at all times just to recieve a killswitch notification. Common sense, bro. Anyways, figure out what the chip is looking for and send the kill command... this will stop future killswitch implementations.
Edited by jgweb2000 - 1/16/11 at 11:41am
BlackMagic
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600k Sandy Bridge EVGA P67 FTW XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB G-Skill 2x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[120GB - Vertex 3] [4x500 - Raid5] SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit Samsung 2253BW x2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
OCN Ducky PBT Cherry-MX Brown Cooler Master Hybrid 850w Cooler Master HAF 932 Razer Mamba 2012 
Mouse PadAudio
PureTrak Talent Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D 
  hide details  
BlackMagic
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600k Sandy Bridge EVGA P67 FTW XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB G-Skill 2x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[120GB - Vertex 3] [4x500 - Raid5] SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit Samsung 2253BW x2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
OCN Ducky PBT Cherry-MX Brown Cooler Master Hybrid 850w Cooler Master HAF 932 Razer Mamba 2012 
Mouse PadAudio
PureTrak Talent Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D 
  hide details  
post #420 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus View Post
Actually it's DRM plain and simple, at it's "fundamental level."

Pay attention, this is the definition of DRM:

"Digital rights management is a term for access control technologies that can be used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals to limit the use of digital content and devices. The term is used to describe any technology that inhibits uses of digital content not desired or intended by the content provider."

It doesn't get any more fundamental than that. I mean you want us to take you seriously but come on...it's full blown hardware DRM built inside the chip, in all desktop/laptop sandy bridge processors. No one else will argue this, except Intel. Buy into it by all means, the performance of SB I think is actually worth it. Just remember this is just a stepping stone to even more invasive hardware DRM in your desktop.
Take off the tinfoil hat. It's clouding your judgment.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Warning: Sandy Bridge Hardware Level DRM, Killswitch, & H67 P67 Recalls!