Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Corsair Obsidian 650D Mid-Tower
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corsair Obsidian 650D Mid-Tower - Page 460

post #4591 of 4826
So I pulled the trigger on a Zalman MFC1 fan controller as well as 3 x Bitfenix Spectre Pro fans. Collected the PC today from the technician and I am very disappointed with the results.

On minimum settings, it doesn't sound that much different to the maximum! It's a little noisier on the lowest setting compared to the stock fans on the 650D using the low setting on the built-in fan controller. My goal here was to reduce the noise, to use a dedicated fan controller to reduce the noise.

Where did I go wrong with this? I noticed on closer inspection that the top fan is blowing downwards into the case, and the front firing 200mm fan is also blowing backwards, into the case. Is this the optimal type of arrangement?

I also replaced the stock 120mm at the back with a Spectre Pro. I knew the noise levels would be higher than stock, but I assumed the fan controller would be able to knock down the noise. I don't know what to say, I'm just bitterly disappointed and I don't know what to do.
post #4592 of 4826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery View Post

So I pulled the trigger on a Zalman MFC1 fan controller as well as 3 x Bitfenix Spectre Pro fans. Collected the PC today from the technician and I am very disappointed with the results.

On minimum settings, it doesn't sound that much different to the maximum! It's a little noisier on the lowest setting compared to the stock fans on the 650D using the low setting on the built-in fan controller. My goal here was to reduce the noise, to use a dedicated fan controller to reduce the noise.

Where did I go wrong with this? I noticed on closer inspection that the top fan is blowing downwards into the case, and the front firing 200mm fan is also blowing backwards, into the case. Is this the optimal type of arrangement?

I also replaced the stock 120mm at the back with a Spectre Pro. I knew the noise levels would be higher than stock, but I assumed the fan controller would be able to knock down the noise. I don't know what to say, I'm just bitterly disappointed and I don't know what to do.

What should I say.
The spectre Pro's move allot more air then the stock fans so you'd expect some more noise.
Which one makes the most noise? You can test this by simple stopping the fan with your finger.

But IMO it is wrong to have the top as intake.... That messes up the airflow pretty bad.



I don't know what you expected really? The stock fans don't move allot of air and the spectre pro's do. Sure you will hear more noise from the air moving.
I also hear my h100 fans(gentle typhoons 1850rpm) above the other fans in my system. Even on low speeds.
Edited by Chopper1591 - 9/28/13 at 12:27am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k viii hero Sapphire r9 290 tri-x OC g.skill 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black Sata-3 64MB 840 evo DVD R/W Combo Alphacool 360 ut60 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel (Rev.2.0) EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black EK-FC R9-290X Reinforcer - Black Fittings and adapters 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek supremacy EVO ek 420 radiator ek revo d5 Bitspower acrylic tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 pro BenQ XL2730Z Ducky One DKON1508S Corsair HX850i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Mionix Castor Razer Goliathus Edifier C3X 
AudioOther
Asus xonar dx Xbox one gamepad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k viii hero Sapphire r9 290 tri-x OC g.skill 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black Sata-3 64MB 840 evo DVD R/W Combo Alphacool 360 ut60 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel (Rev.2.0) EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black EK-FC R9-290X Reinforcer - Black Fittings and adapters 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek supremacy EVO ek 420 radiator ek revo d5 Bitspower acrylic tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 pro BenQ XL2730Z Ducky One DKON1508S Corsair HX850i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Mionix Castor Razer Goliathus Edifier C3X 
AudioOther
Asus xonar dx Xbox one gamepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4593 of 4826
I don't feel much air when I move my hand close to the front of the case or even at the top of the case. Even at maximum setting. But that's because the fan is not facing forward, it's firing to the back. Same with the top fan.

The stock fans moved more air in front but then the fan was facing to the front. Should I move the front fan around so it's blowing in front?

I think I know what the problem is. I put my head in the case where the fans are and I reduced the noise of the fans. But the one source of noise that is pretty bad, is my power supply. It is very noisy. It's about 6 years old now.

The computer rep I spoke to said I should replace the power supply for a quieter one which would significantly reduce the noise levels in the room. He said you get these fanless power supplies that only turn on at very high load and even then, it wouldn't be nearly as noisy.

In addition to this, he recommended I put some sound dampening material in the case which would help with any additional noise.

Thoughts?

Edit : BTW, I cut my finger pretty badly this morning because my hand wondered and it hit the CPU fan. ****, that was painful - a big cut, blood everywhere. mad.gif
Edited by Misery - 9/28/13 at 1:18am
post #4594 of 4826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery View Post

I don't feel much air when I move my hand close to the front of the case or even at the top of the case. Even at maximum setting. But that's because the fan is not facing forward, it's firing to the back. Same with the top fan.

The stock fans moved more air in front but then the fan was facing to the front. Should I move the front fan around so it's blowing in front?

I think I know what the problem is. I put my head in the case where the fans are and I reduced the noise of the fans. But the one source of noise that is pretty bad, is my power supply. It is very noisy. It's about 6 years old now.

The computer rep I spoke to said I should replace the power supply for a quieter one which would significantly reduce the noise levels in the room. He said you get these fanless power supplies that only turn on at very high load and even then, it wouldn't be nearly as noisy.

In addition to this, he recommended I put some sound dampening material in the case which would help with any additional noise.

Thoughts?

Edit : BTW, I cut my finger pretty badly this morning because my hand wondered and it hit the CPU fan. ****, that was painful - a big cut, blood everywhere. mad.gif

Haha you using the stock cpu fan? That sucker spins hard. biggrin.gif

But can you show a photo or something? Because I don't get what you mean about the front fan.

Mine is like this, don't mind the dust on the fan... I smoke.


And my front fan made a bad noise. So I took out the front mesh with the goold old dremel.


Noise damping is a bit extreme but it helps... Quiet expensive for what you get though.
Which power supply you have btw? And how does it sound? Just like blowing full blast all the time or is it making rattling noise also?
Edited by Chopper1591 - 9/28/13 at 2:32am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k viii hero Sapphire r9 290 tri-x OC g.skill 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black Sata-3 64MB 840 evo DVD R/W Combo Alphacool 360 ut60 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel (Rev.2.0) EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black EK-FC R9-290X Reinforcer - Black Fittings and adapters 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek supremacy EVO ek 420 radiator ek revo d5 Bitspower acrylic tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 pro BenQ XL2730Z Ducky One DKON1508S Corsair HX850i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Mionix Castor Razer Goliathus Edifier C3X 
AudioOther
Asus xonar dx Xbox one gamepad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k viii hero Sapphire r9 290 tri-x OC g.skill 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black Sata-3 64MB 840 evo DVD R/W Combo Alphacool 360 ut60 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel (Rev.2.0) EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black EK-FC R9-290X Reinforcer - Black Fittings and adapters 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek supremacy EVO ek 420 radiator ek revo d5 Bitspower acrylic tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 pro BenQ XL2730Z Ducky One DKON1508S Corsair HX850i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Mionix Castor Razer Goliathus Edifier C3X 
AudioOther
Asus xonar dx Xbox one gamepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4595 of 4826
Sorry for double.

Slow upload speed. Pressed again too soon biggrin.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k viii hero Sapphire r9 290 tri-x OC g.skill 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black Sata-3 64MB 840 evo DVD R/W Combo Alphacool 360 ut60 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel (Rev.2.0) EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black EK-FC R9-290X Reinforcer - Black Fittings and adapters 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek supremacy EVO ek 420 radiator ek revo d5 Bitspower acrylic tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 pro BenQ XL2730Z Ducky One DKON1508S Corsair HX850i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Mionix Castor Razer Goliathus Edifier C3X 
AudioOther
Asus xonar dx Xbox one gamepad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k viii hero Sapphire r9 290 tri-x OC g.skill 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black Sata-3 64MB 840 evo DVD R/W Combo Alphacool 360 ut60 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel (Rev.2.0) EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black EK-FC R9-290X Reinforcer - Black Fittings and adapters 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek supremacy EVO ek 420 radiator ek revo d5 Bitspower acrylic tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 pro BenQ XL2730Z Ducky One DKON1508S Corsair HX850i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Mionix Castor Razer Goliathus Edifier C3X 
AudioOther
Asus xonar dx Xbox one gamepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4596 of 4826
The fan has been positioned back to front. The "made in China" sticker is showing in the front of the case once you remove the grill. So it's blowing air into the case, not blowing out. That's what I mean.

The top fan is blowing down..... into the case. That doesn't sound right to me. I can send you a pic if you want.
post #4597 of 4826
Quote:
Which power supply you have btw? And how does it sound? Just like blowing full blast all the time or is it making rattling noise also?

It sounds like it's blowing full blast basically all the time and the pitch is relatively high in frequency. There are no rattling noises that I can hear. To be honest I don't know what power supply I have as I can't see the name. It's just very, very old. biggrin.gif
post #4598 of 4826
Chopper, you out there? biggrin.gif What do you think of the fan arrangement? Should I change the orientation? Need your advice.
post #4599 of 4826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery View Post

Chopper, you out there? biggrin.gif What do you think of the fan arrangement? Should I change the orientation? Need your advice.

Well there really is no wrong or right.
Top intake and front exhaust is doable. But its not ideal. Try switching them around and see how the temps are.

I would change that power supply if I were you.

Go with an quality one:
  • Corsair: HX650/750
  • Seasonic G-Serie 650/750
  • Cooler-Master V700

Either of these are proper psu's for a decent price.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k viii hero Sapphire r9 290 tri-x OC g.skill 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black Sata-3 64MB 840 evo DVD R/W Combo Alphacool 360 ut60 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel (Rev.2.0) EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black EK-FC R9-290X Reinforcer - Black Fittings and adapters 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek supremacy EVO ek 420 radiator ek revo d5 Bitspower acrylic tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 pro BenQ XL2730Z Ducky One DKON1508S Corsair HX850i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Mionix Castor Razer Goliathus Edifier C3X 
AudioOther
Asus xonar dx Xbox one gamepad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k viii hero Sapphire r9 290 tri-x OC g.skill 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black Sata-3 64MB 840 evo DVD R/W Combo Alphacool 360 ut60 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel (Rev.2.0) EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black EK-FC R9-290X Reinforcer - Black Fittings and adapters 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek supremacy EVO ek 420 radiator ek revo d5 Bitspower acrylic tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 pro BenQ XL2730Z Ducky One DKON1508S Corsair HX850i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Mionix Castor Razer Goliathus Edifier C3X 
AudioOther
Asus xonar dx Xbox one gamepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4600 of 4826
My technician said that having both fans fitted that way would improve air flow in the case, while the rear fan is mounted so that the air is pushing out. He also said that dust would not be a problem as well. Before there was dust every second day on the stock Corsair fan.

He said something about positive pressure, I think.

He recommended this PSU :

http://www.landmarkpc.co.za/store/seasonic-m12ii-bronze-series-620w-power-supply-p-9973.html

And for sound dampening said I should get this :

Lian-Li PT-Si07 noise reduction kit for Full tower, 6 pieces micro-honeycomb design foam.

Thank you for your advice and suggestions on the PSU. thumb.gif
Edited by Misery - 9/30/13 at 6:36am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Corsair Obsidian 650D Mid-Tower