New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Summer Build

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Yes, it's that time of year over here, summer jobs for teenagers, creating too much money and boredom yet again, so like some I've decided to put away a budget of $1000 AUD for a new system (N.b. System in Sig is my dad's, I've currently only got a laptop :/ )

Yes, it must be good value for money (Overclocking included ) and yes, it shouldn't be more than $50 more than $1k if it can be helped. Oh and yes, It will be used for lots of gaming and internet usage. I'm going to turn my laptop into an Ubuntu uni notes taker.

I'll need everything except for a keyboard and mouse, and I'd like to try to keep it Intel and Ati flavoured this time around.

Things I've had my eye on:

i7 870 - $310

Ati 6850 - $240

All helpful posts will be rewarded with vigour

Edit: I've had to go with an 870 now instead, as 1366 pin motherboards are $70 more expensive that 1156 pin boards

Edit 2: Feel free to dial those given options down a tad if need be (cpu first), as long as there is no bottleneck with overclocking potential, I'm happy
Edited by Mxbn0 - 1/7/11 at 1:34am
Main system
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 Gigabyte H67MA-D2H Nvidia GTX460 Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600 C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate 7200rpm Intel SSD Zalman CNPS10X Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
22" Viewsonic VX2250W LED 700w Thermaltake Litepower Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 Gigabyte H67MA-D2H Nvidia GTX460 Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600 C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate 7200rpm Intel SSD Zalman CNPS10X Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
22" Viewsonic VX2250W LED 700w Thermaltake Litepower Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
/looks on the windows and sees snow

Well on topic, for the rig I have a few suggestions:
*you don't want sk 1366, but you shouldn't get sk 1056 either; Sandy Bridge just launched for socket 1055 and motherboards should show up soon around the equivalent of 160 $
*processor: depending on the budget the i5 2500K or the i7 2600K; my favorite is the 2500K as it costs ~210USD, 30% less than the 2600K (or the i7 875) and it only looses 2MB L3 cache, HT and 100MHz. It seems to OC just under 5GHz on air.
*motherboard: something on P67; check www.techreport.com for a P67 roundup.
*disk: a 60GB SSD - 90/120GB if the budget allows - I believe a 50$ processor and an SSD is snappier than a core i7 + mechanical HDD, so imho a small sacrifice on the CPU would be acceptable in order to squeeze in an SSD (2500k would save you 100$ vs the 2600k)
*GTX 460 1GB - very fast @1080p, good overclocker. If the budget allows it GTX570/HD6950
*4GB DDR3 - the difference in timings and speed don't amount to a serious performance gain so any kit would do
*...the rest (case, rodent, keyboard, etc) depends on your preference: do you search for a silent rig, a laser rodent, ergonomic keyboard.
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosmp View Post
*you don't want sk 1366, but you shouldn't get sk 1056 either; Sandy Bridge just launched for socket 1055 and motherboards should show up soon around the equivalent of 160 $
That's socket 1156 and 1155, actually.
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosmp View Post
/looks on the windows and sees snow

Well on topic, for the rig I have a few suggestions:
*you don't want sk 1366, but you shouldn't get sk 1056 either; Sandy Bridge just launched for socket 1055 and motherboards should show up soon around the equivalent of 160 $
*processor: depending on the budget the i5 2500K or the i7 2600K; my favorite is the 2500K as it costs ~210USD, 30% less than the 2600K (or the i7 875) and it only looses 2MB L3 cache, HT and 100MHz. It seems to OC just under 5GHz on air.
*motherboard: something on P67; check www.techreport.com for a P67 roundup.
*disk: a 60GB SSD - 90/120GB if the budget allows - I believe a 50$ processor and an SSD is snappier than a core i7 + mechanical HDD, so imho a small sacrifice on the CPU would be acceptable in order to squeeze in an SSD (2500k would save you 100$ vs the 2600k)
*GTX 460 1GB - very fast @1080p, good overclocker. If the budget allows it GTX570/HD6950
*4GB DDR3 - the difference in timings and speed don't amount to a serious performance gain so any kit would do
*...the rest (case, rodent, keyboard, etc) depends on your preference: do you search for a silent rig, a laser rodent, ergonomic keyboard.
I'll have to check prices and see where that gets me. Knowing retailers down here, we won't get Sandybridge for another 2 weeks minimum, and the price will be so inflated the store will take off like hot air balloon. But thankyou very much for your suggestions
Main system
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 Gigabyte H67MA-D2H Nvidia GTX460 Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600 C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate 7200rpm Intel SSD Zalman CNPS10X Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
22" Viewsonic VX2250W LED 700w Thermaltake Litepower Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 Gigabyte H67MA-D2H Nvidia GTX460 Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600 C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate 7200rpm Intel SSD Zalman CNPS10X Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
22" Viewsonic VX2250W LED 700w Thermaltake Litepower Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxbn0 View Post
I'll have to check prices and see where that gets me. Knowing retailers down here, we won't get Sandybridge for another 2 weeks minimum, and the price will be so inflated the store will take off like hot air balloon. But thankyou very much for your suggestions
true. In Fr they show up late, too and prices are inflated. I suppose towards the middle of February things wil settle down here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post
That's socket 1156 and 1155, actually.
right
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
I've attached a spreadsheet with possibilities (I was surprised at the price and availability of the i5 2500 )

Please edit it and re-upload it with additions/changes and suggestions
Main system
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 Gigabyte H67MA-D2H Nvidia GTX460 Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600 C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate 7200rpm Intel SSD Zalman CNPS10X Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
22" Viewsonic VX2250W LED 700w Thermaltake Litepower Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 Gigabyte H67MA-D2H Nvidia GTX460 Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600 C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate 7200rpm Intel SSD Zalman CNPS10X Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
22" Viewsonic VX2250W LED 700w Thermaltake Litepower Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions