Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Budget PC build -thoughts / suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Budget PC build -thoughts / suggestions? - Page 3

post #21 of 33
Your black friday and christmas deals are gone for the year. There is nothing wrong with the components I listed and for < 650 its a great build.

You annoy me with your vague condemnation of builds and components. You have any proof for any of the stuff you say?
post #22 of 33
Also if you're so great at assembling builds, why do you have a x6 paired with GTS 250 SLI ? That is laughable
post #23 of 33
My $.02 (because we can trust the nub with no posts... right?)

CPU+MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.580584 $222

Super cheap 5850 (Won't have 6xxx DX11 performance, but near a damn steal at $180 IMO). Not to mention the monster can OC very well:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...500-_-Product" $190

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-277-_-Product $50

HDD: The Samsung someone else already linked. $55

PSU: Surprised no one has linked the lower tier Seasonic units -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...096-_-Product", $79, or grab the modular version for $10 more.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129066 $55

And any recommended DVD drive, I can't speak as to the quality of individual drives, but you'll probably pay $20 or so.

That brings this particular total to $672 before shipping, perhaps you could throw in a Hyper 212+ or an A50 if you wanted to push that $700. This would allow fairly decent OC'ing on the 955.
Pixel Pusher
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Gigabyte Z68-UD3P MSI Reference Radeon 6950 unlocked to 6970 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB, Corsair Force 3 120GB Windows 7 64-bit LG IPS231P-BN Seasonic M12II 620w Modular 
Case
Corsair 600T SE 
  hide details  
Reply
Pixel Pusher
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Gigabyte Z68-UD3P MSI Reference Radeon 6950 unlocked to 6970 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB, Corsair Force 3 120GB Windows 7 64-bit LG IPS231P-BN Seasonic M12II 620w Modular 
Case
Corsair 600T SE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthyBigMac View Post
PSU: Surprised no one has linked the lower tier Seasonic units -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...096-_-Product", $79, or grab the modular version for $10 more.
I chose the TP-650 because its a good unit, and at a decent price. The unit you linked is great as well, but with shipping is only a few dollars less than what I linked.
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb2e View Post
I chose the TP-650 because its a good unit, and at a decent price. The unit you linked is great as well, but with shipping is only a few dollars less than what I linked.
True, but considering Seasonic = Antec when it comes to PSU's, the difference altogether is negligible. OP has plenty of good choices to pick from.
Pixel Pusher
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Gigabyte Z68-UD3P MSI Reference Radeon 6950 unlocked to 6970 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB, Corsair Force 3 120GB Windows 7 64-bit LG IPS231P-BN Seasonic M12II 620w Modular 
Case
Corsair 600T SE 
  hide details  
Reply
Pixel Pusher
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Gigabyte Z68-UD3P MSI Reference Radeon 6950 unlocked to 6970 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB, Corsair Force 3 120GB Windows 7 64-bit LG IPS231P-BN Seasonic M12II 620w Modular 
Case
Corsair 600T SE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthyBigMac View Post
True, but considering Seasonic = Antec when it comes to PSU's, the difference altogether is negligible. OP has plenty of good choices to pick from.
Yep, I know. The one you linked is the upper end of the S12II, the one I linked is the M12D. As I said, they are both good units. The one you linked is only going to save the OP about $3 after shipping, at the cost of about 30 watts and a semi modular setup.

Im not knocking your suggestion by any means, if you could find it for the same price with free shipping, then it would be a deal
post #27 of 33
Thread Starter 
Alright so I'm definitely going to have to keep it under 700 shipped. Should I invest more in the GPU or CPU? Basically calculating everything I need about 700 shipped. Looking at the 3.4 Phenom or the 6850. Or maybe something else?

Edit: Alright updating yet again. Trying to save as much as possible.

Sony DVD drive - 20
NZXT Lexa S - 70
WD Caviar 500gb Blue- 50 (I know the 1TB is cheaper but I'm trying to have it all come on the same day for Newegg's cheap ass 3 day shipping)
G.Skill DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
AMD Phenom x4 955 + ASUS M4A87TD 870 AM3 slot = 222
Sapphire 6850 + Antec Truepower TP650 - 250 with a 15 MIR
Total shipped: 679.22

That's definitely more within a budget while only sacrificing .2ghz on the processor and getting a modular, reputable power supply.
Edited by Dollarhax - 1/8/11 at 2:59am
Dat Stormtrooper
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3 GIGABYTE GTX 460 4gb Ripjaw 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb WD Caviar Blue Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Windows 7 Ult 64 bit Samsung 2233SW 
PowerCaseMouse
CM SilentPro 600w Coolermaster Storm Scout Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
Dat Stormtrooper
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3 GIGABYTE GTX 460 4gb Ripjaw 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb WD Caviar Blue Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Windows 7 Ult 64 bit Samsung 2233SW 
PowerCaseMouse
CM SilentPro 600w Coolermaster Storm Scout Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravinR1 View Post
Also if you're so great at assembling builds, why do you have a x6 paired with GTS 250 SLI ? That is laughable
I use my 250 SLI for simultaneous CUDA app processing, I do not game and I do not see a need to upgrade from 250 SLI just yet. Your build is just one I've seen too much, even before; it's not the greatest for the price, and could probably use an update. Even now there's an amazing choice of parts you could get for $600; just a few downgrades to the parts list below would be needed to fit $600.

Now that it seems the budget has been increased I might as well make a specific suggestion.
Phenom II x4 955 + ASUS M4A87TD EVO - $223
Antec Truepower New 650 + Sapphire HD 6850 - $250, $235 AR + $4 shipping
Rosewill Destroyer - $55 shipped or Antec 300 Illusion - $55 shipped
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7 - $65 shipped
LITE-ON 24X DVD - $16 shipped after promo code EMCKJKD32
Samsung F3 1TB [Superbiiz]- $51 shipped after coupon code HELLO2011
- $30 shipped
Enzotech MOS-C1 mosfet heatsinks (I highly recommend for overclocking/tower cooler) [Sidewinders]- $8.95
Total cost before rebates (incl. shipping): Approx. $703
Total cost after rebates: $688
Plenty of flexibility here
Edited by xd_1771 - 1/8/11 at 1:02am
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I use my 250 SLI for simultaneous CUDA app processing, I do not game and I do not see a need to upgrade from 250 SLI just yet. Your build is just one I've seen too much, even before; it's not the greatest for the price, and could probably use an update. Even now there's an amazing choice of parts you could get for $600; just a few downgrades to the parts list below would be needed to fit $600.

Now that it seems the budget has been increased I might as well make a specific suggestion.
Phenom II x4 955 + ASUS M4A87TD EVO - $223
Antec Truepower New 650 + Sapphire HD 6850 - $250, $235 AR + $4 shipping
Rosewill Destroyer - $55 shipped or Antec 300 Illusion - $55 shipped
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7 - $65 shipped
LITE-ON 24X DVD - $16 shipped after promo code EMCKJKD32
Samsung F3 1TB [Superbiiz]- $51 shipped after coupon code HELLO2011
Coolermaster Hyper 212 [Amazon] - $30 shipped
Enzotech MOS-C1 mosfet heatsinks (I highly recommend for overclocking/tower cooler) [Sidewinders]- $8.95
Total cost before rebates (incl. shipping): Approx. $703
Total cost after rebates: $688
Plenty of flexibility here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227567

This ram kit is $29.99 after rebate. That will shave another $35 off the price.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb2e View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227567

This ram kit is $29.99 after rebate. That will shave another $35 off the price.
I know about that kit as well as the Special Ops kit I usually recommend, just considering the Ripjaws since they're better in both rating/brand and do indeed fit the budget.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Budget PC build -thoughts / suggestions?