Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Scrawl] First Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Details
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Scrawl] First Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Details - Page 13

post #121 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiru View Post
It worked well enough for Morrowind, which is barely smaller than Oblivion.
And Morrowind has way more quests than Oblivion.
Having virtual walls in Morrowind due to my level and forcing me to do a WoWesque grind to get to said level so I could do a fun quest/get something I want isn't fun.

Skyrim needs to drop the bandits with daedric armour, but apart from stuff like that that breaks immersion, I like level scaling done right...I.e Hard areas are hard due to the monsters having a level that is +5 yours, but there are no impossible areas...Starting out in Morrowind is boring due to how crap your character is.

And yes, I played Morrowind when it was still new.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #122 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
Having virtual walls in Morrowind due to my level and forcing me to do a WoWesque grind to get to said level so I could do a fun quest/get something I want isn't fun.

Skyrim needs to drop the bandits with daedric armour, but apart from stuff like that that breaks immersion, I like level scaling done right...I.e Hard areas are hard due to the monsters having a level that is +5 yours, but there are no impossible areas...Starting out in Morrowind is boring due to how crap your character is.

And yes, I played Morrowind when it was still new.
Just use levitation. They removed levitation in Oblivion.
post #123 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zawarudo View Post
yes but the point is you and 99.9% of people currently on planet earth have no idea what the level scaling in Skyrim will be like so what's the point in complaining about something you have little to no facts about?

Everyone seems to have become game mechanic experts and pundits lol..
Don't know about you but I can only think of a very few ways to describe "level scaling".

Regardless the point is some people don't like it no matter how they may or may not do it.

For the record level scaling has nothing to do with difficulty. It's all about immersion and realism.

In Oblivion I broke into the IMPERIAL wharehouse from the start. First problem, how in the hell does someone with lock picking skill of 20 break into the IMPERIAL wharehouse?! Second problem, I'm in the IMPERIAL wharehouse and all thats in there is hourglasses, spoons and cups. Seriously?! You are telling me that all the IMPERIAL wharehouse contains is hourglasses, spoons and cups?!

That's stupid and it's what you get with level scaling.

If you like it fine, but many other ES players despise it with a passion and I am one of them.
post #124 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post
Just use levitation. They removed levitation in Oblivion.
And that's about as fun as using that flying cheat in Oblivion, I'd rather be able to fight through enemies.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #125 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post
Not having level scaling doesn't work well for a game as open as TES has become. You need the freedom to do almost any quest starting from whatever level you are when you find it. And I don't know about you guys but I don't want to have to go hunting for caves that are good for my level, and aren't too hard or easy.

IMO the problem with oblivion was how you had to go through great lengths to use your lesser skills BEFORE you used the major ones, otherwise your level would be screwed. The scaling itself was a great feature that made the game good.
If you were mage class with those particular skills as you main skills, you wouldn't have a problem with that
Kilo 3.0
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P HIS HD6970 1GB 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 Seagate Barricuda Seagate GoFlex WD Passport 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Lite-On BD-RW ASUS DVD-RW Cooler Master H80 Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro 25" Hanns.G K710 Corsair TX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 690 M710 XTrac Ripper Logitech 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Kilo 3.0
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P HIS HD6970 1GB 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 Seagate Barricuda Seagate GoFlex WD Passport 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Lite-On BD-RW ASUS DVD-RW Cooler Master H80 Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro 25" Hanns.G K710 Corsair TX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 690 M710 XTrac Ripper Logitech 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #126 of 203
level scaling needs to be handled in a New Vegas style, where it combines both scaled content and nonscaled content also. So you still get the challenging fights, and occassionally come across stuff that is to powerful for you to fight at the time.

Level scaling has been used in games for a couple decades now. It is one of the few ways to maintain a challenge.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #127 of 203
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
level scaling needs to be handled in a New Vegas style, where it combines both scaled content and nonscaled content also. So you still get the challenging fights, and occassionally come across stuff that is to powerful for you to fight at the time.

Level scaling has been used in games for a couple decades now. It is one of the few ways to maintain a challenge.
That sounds pretty nice. Hopefully they take a hint from NV.
post #128 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexa View Post
Don't know about you but I can only think of a very few ways to describe "level scaling".

Regardless the point is some people don't like it no matter how they may or may not do it.

For the record level scaling has nothing to do with difficulty. It's all about immersion and realism.

In Oblivion I broke into the IMPERIAL wharehouse from the start. First problem, how in the hell does someone with lock picking skill of 20 break into the IMPERIAL wharehouse?! Second problem, I'm in the IMPERIAL wharehouse and all thats in there is hourglasses, spoons and cups. Seriously?! You are telling me that all the IMPERIAL wharehouse contains is hourglasses, spoons and cups?!

That's stupid and it's what you get with level scaling.

If you like it fine, but many other ES players despise it with a passion and I am one of them.
Try playing the game properly then.. If you intentionally go out of your way to mess the game up guess what will happen?

level scaling doesn't have anything to do with lock picking other than the amount of latches in the tumblers, It's purely timing. Secondly as far as I'm aware there isn't anything in the imperial warehouse anyway. It's only purpose is for a quest line.

For the record level scaling is all about difficulty lol. What do you think level scaling scales? ...
post #129 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zawarudo View Post
Try playing the game properly then.. If you intentionally go out of your way to mess the game up guess what will happen?

level scaling doesn't have anything to do with lock picking other than the amount of latches in the tumblers, It's purely timing. Secondly as far as I'm aware there isn't anything in the imperial warehouse anyway. It's only purpose is for a quest line.

For the record level scaling is all about difficulty lol. What do you think level scaling scales? ...
Yeah but the people complaining about it aren't complaining about the difficulty but the immersion. You don't seem to get this.
Omicron Lyrae
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE @3.6 Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Sapphire HD5770 V2 OCZ 2x2GB Gold DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Sony Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit AOC F22+ 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry Scissor Switch Flat Keyboard OCZ StealthXstream 600W Cooler Master Elite 334 Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
Omicron Lyrae
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE @3.6 Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Sapphire HD5770 V2 OCZ 2x2GB Gold DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Sony Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit AOC F22+ 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry Scissor Switch Flat Keyboard OCZ StealthXstream 600W Cooler Master Elite 334 Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #130 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post
I'm putting all stats into stamina for the ladies.
HAAAHAAA

They really must limit this whole- oh I can spin around and do whatever I want in the air =)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Scrawl] First Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Details