Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Grub deleted :( Help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grub deleted :( Help! - Page 2

post #11 of 26
the sound says... OK
Triggers broom
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R  Gigabyte GTX460 Super Talent 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Barracuda LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive EK Supreme LXT EK 240 Rad 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK big res and 2.2 pump Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2159v  Razer Arctosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX600 Xigmatek Midgard Razer Abyssus Steelseries cheapo one 
AudioOther
Sony TA-D607 iPhone 4 
  hide details  
Reply
Triggers broom
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R  Gigabyte GTX460 Super Talent 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Barracuda LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive EK Supreme LXT EK 240 Rad 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK big res and 2.2 pump Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2159v  Razer Arctosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX600 Xigmatek Midgard Razer Abyssus Steelseries cheapo one 
AudioOther
Sony TA-D607 iPhone 4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltontechnogeek View Post
how does this sound, i'll try AK-47's idea because I have a win 7 reinstall disk handy, if that doesn't work, i'll move to grub. This sound ok?
No, absolutely NOT.


When installing a dual-boot... Linux (et Grub/LiLo) must ALWAYS be the last thing you install... WinX will overwrite your MBR and trash Grub/LiLo.

There is nothing wrong with your Win-install... so... what AK47 typed is b0ll0cks.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 
so ak's idea won't work?, all i'm looking to reclaim is the win7 partition, nothing was saved on the ubuntu partition.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.0GHZ 1.416v Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD5850 G.SKILL PI Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 640 GB 6.0 Gb/s LG 22X DVD Burner Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.10 CORSAIR HX Series 1000W 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.0GHZ 1.416v Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD5850 G.SKILL PI Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 640 GB 6.0 Gb/s LG 22X DVD Burner Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.10 CORSAIR HX Series 1000W 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by newphase View Post
No, absolutely NOT.


When installing a dual-boot... Linux (et Grub/LiLo) must ALWAYS be the last thing you install... WinX will overwrite your MBR and trash Grub/LiLo.

There is nothing wrong with your Win-install... so... what AK47 typed is b0ll0cks.
LOL @ bollocks
He's not installing a dual boot though.
He deleted his ubuntu partition which leaves him with just his windows
He has 0 need for grub if windows is his only OS atm.
If he decides to reinstall linux grub will be reinstalled but atm for the sake of getting into windows restoring the mbr is the best solution
Edited by AK-47 - 1/9/11 at 12:16pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltontechnogeek View Post
so ak's idea won't work?, all i'm looking to reclaim is the win7 partition, nothing was saved on the ubuntu partition.
It will work. I personally did it a few days ago
post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 
Ok, I probably need to set some stuff straight, I don't need dual boot anymore, at least not for a while. So all i need is a way to reclaim my Win7 partition. When i boot up right now I get the grub rescue command line. Also I know nothing about cmd line terminal or anything.
So saying this what is the easiest alternative to get my win 7 partition, grub or win bootloader?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.0GHZ 1.416v Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD5850 G.SKILL PI Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 640 GB 6.0 Gb/s LG 22X DVD Burner Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.10 CORSAIR HX Series 1000W 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.0GHZ 1.416v Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD5850 G.SKILL PI Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 640 GB 6.0 Gb/s LG 22X DVD Burner Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.10 CORSAIR HX Series 1000W 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 26
Fridge
(18 items)
 
e-peen
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930k SABERTOOTH X79 NVIDIA Quadro K2000 Corsair 4 x 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Revodrive 350 PCIe  Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 rpm ST31000... Acer HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH70N  Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 7 professional 64 bit ASUS PB278Q 27-Inch WQHD PLS Monitor razer black widow ultimate Raidmax 630w 
CaseMouseOtherOther
TT Commander Snow Logitech M-U0007 (M500) NextEngine Laser Scanner Mobile Computer Desk 
OtherOther
3D Connexion Space Navigator Huion H58L Tablet 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon 3440 Maximus III Gene GTS250 G.Skill 2GB F3-10666CL8-2GBHK 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2004C 200GB 7200 RPM Zalman windows 7 64 bit Gateway FHX3200B 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer AL2216W Razer black widow ultimate CM 500w Coolermaster USP100 red 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Fridge
(18 items)
 
e-peen
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930k SABERTOOTH X79 NVIDIA Quadro K2000 Corsair 4 x 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Revodrive 350 PCIe  Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 rpm ST31000... Acer HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH70N  Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 7 professional 64 bit ASUS PB278Q 27-Inch WQHD PLS Monitor razer black widow ultimate Raidmax 630w 
CaseMouseOtherOther
TT Commander Snow Logitech M-U0007 (M500) NextEngine Laser Scanner Mobile Computer Desk 
OtherOther
3D Connexion Space Navigator Huion H58L Tablet 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon 3440 Maximus III Gene GTS250 G.Skill 2GB F3-10666CL8-2GBHK 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2004C 200GB 7200 RPM Zalman windows 7 64 bit Gateway FHX3200B 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer AL2216W Razer black widow ultimate CM 500w Coolermaster USP100 red 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-47 View Post
LOL @ bollocks
He's not installing a dual boot though.
He deleted his ubuntu partition which leaves him with just his windows
He has 0 need for grub if windows is his only OS atm.
If he decides to reinstall linux grub will be reinstalled but atm for the sake of getting into windows restoring the mbr is the best solution
AK47 - lol - sorry so much! I misread him!


[me standing here] <---


Sunday...
Late...
*burp*

MY BAD!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltontechnogeek View Post
Ok, I probably need to set some stuff straight, I don't need dual boot anymore, at least not for a while. So all i need is a way to reclaim my Win7 partition. When i boot up right now I get the grub rescue command line. Also I know nothing about cmd line terminal or anything.
So saying this what is the easiest alternative to get my win 7 partition, grub or win bootloader?
It is clear to me that you don't need dual boot anymore since you deleted your buntu partition and only have 1 OS now
I don't see how this is not clear
I don't see the point of grub in this scenario
Like i said my method in my opinion will work the easiest and fastest
boot to win 7 install disk
go to repair
pick command prompt
type the commands that i told you
??????
profit

should take like 2-3 minutes

I literally did this a few days ago and it worked great
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-47 View Post
It is clear to me that you don't need dual boot anymore since you deleted your buntu partition and only have 1 OS now
I don't see how this is not clear
I don't see the point of grub in this scenario
Like i said my method in my opinion will work the easiest and fastest
boot to win 7 install disk
go to repair
pick command prompt
type the commands that i told you
??????
profit

should take like 2-3 minutes

I literally did this a few days ago and it worked great
^THIS

I misread the OP. SORRY!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Grub deleted :( Help!