Overclock.net banner

Oh yeah, it's tight....

630 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  RabbitGT 
#1 ·
My budget, you pervs

Anyway, I know almost nothing about AMD CPU's and Mobo's, so I thought I'd stop by here and ask.

Got a friend, looking for a new computer, his budget is $520 including shipping. He's looking for it to play BC2, albeit on whatever settings he can get.

Here's my thoughts:

CPU: Either an Anthlon x2 or a Phenom x2? Or should he get a x3?

Mobo: I'm clueless here. I was thinking of something cheap to save money for a better GPU.

RAM: 4GB any brand RAM should be plenty, could I get away with 2GB?

GPU: I was thinking a GTS450

PSU: Need help here again also, I'm used to getting higher wattage PSU's.

He doesn't need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse. He also needs a DVD burner and a case, I was thinking of just getting somethinhg cheap. He doesn't need a cooler, he doesn't plan on overclocking his CPU so I'll keep him on the stock cooler to save money.

Soooo, is it even possible?

See less See more
#2 ·
It can be done. Dont know if this link will work for you, but you could check out my build thread just a few threads up from yours. I have more RAM and less video, but with the rebates its coming out to about $460 with everything neede to put the tower together. So that leaves you a little room for upgrading.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Te...=N&ChangeQty=0

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viridian
View Post

GTX460 would happily play BC2 at great settings.

Don't scrimp on a cooler, the stock fans are woefully inadequate and noisey.

2GB should be fine. He can always upgrade later

If you were going to get an Athlon x2 or a Phenom X2 you may as well get an i3/i5

Agree. i3 550 looks good, but there are no cores to unlock as in Phenom II x2 555 @89 bucks

#6 ·
Mobo 64.99$ (-10$ MIR)
PSU 44.99$ (-20$ MIR) here's the Review on it if you want
CPU 99.99$
DVD\\RW 15.99$
Case 49.99$
Video Card 1 129.99$ (-30$ MIR) will run BFBC2 on max settings , not full HD resolution , 8xAA (full HD no AA)
Video Card 2 169.99$ (-10$ MIR) will run BFBC2 on max settings full HD resolution , 8x AA
Memory 49.99$ (-20$ MIR)

total price (with video card 1) 499.37$ with shipping + tax , total price after mail in rebates 439.37$ !
total price (with video card 2) 548.6$ with shipping + tax , total price after mail in rebate 488.2$ !

both are the best u can get in my opinion and both will run BFBC2 on max settings , 8x AA , with very good fps good luck !

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted6;11953419
Agree. i3 550 looks good, but there are no cores to unlock as in Phenom II x2 555 @89 bucks
tongue.gif
Yes but I would need a budget board that has an ACC feature then.

And thank you to everyone so far for the suggestions! I knew it was possible, just didn't know how much I could actually squeeze out for the video card.

+repz to all that helped

#8 ·
edited my post a little , the PSU i posted wont run GTX 460 since it needs x2 6 pin PIC-E
instead posted a nice 6850 for "Video Card 2" which beats 460 from what i've seen
wink.gif

btw the board i posted will unlock the PhII 555 to quad , so if u wanna try ur or ur friend's luck go with This instead of athlon x4

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitGT;11954065
edited my post a little , the PSU i posted wont run GTX 460 since it needs x2 6 pin PIC-E
instead posted a nice 6850 for "Video Card 2" which beats 460 from what i've seen
wink.gif

btw the board i posted will unlock the PhII 555 to quad , so if u wanna try ur or ur friend's luck go with This instead of athlon x4
Hmmm, is there a significant difference between the Anthlon II x4 640 and the Phenom II x4 820 other than clock speed? Because I can get an OEM processor off the egg for the same price.

#10 ·
-removed-

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertCover;11954282
Hmmm, is there a significant difference between the Anthlon II x4 640 and the Phenom II x4 820 other than clock speed? Because I can get an OEM processor off the egg for the same price.
if you refering to This one then yeah its a little bit better cuz it has 4 mb of L3 cache and more overclocking capabilities , however you gonna need to toss some cash for cooler and since ur friend wont be overclocking (actualy its not even adviced on a board that costs less then 130-140$ cuz of power phase) the x4 athlon with 3 Ghz and box cooler would be the better choice in my opinion .

anyway if u decide to go phenom route then this cooler is the minimal you should get .
*edit* found a nice CPU for ya Here 6 mb L3 cache and can be unlocked , add in that 15 bucks cooler from above and ur build looks solid .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.