Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Getting Microsoft certified.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Getting Microsoft certified.

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
How hard is it? Not being mean, but my friend knows absolutely nowhere near as much as I do about computers and he's trying to get certified, so I'm assuming it's not difficult.

I just want to get certified so I can make some decent money at a local Best Buy or something while I get my life sorted.

He told me you had to pay $100 a test, and there's multiple tests? Well, TL;DR, he didn't explain much. He just told me to go online.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Edited by pjBSOD - 1/11/11 at 1:29am
post #2 of 5
Cost me nothing
there is a way of getting around paying $100.
i registered a "fake" business for distributing OEM software on microsoft, that allows multiple OEM applications to be done on the account.
the test takes about 35 minutes, makes you watch a movie and answer some questions and that's about it.

microsoft.oem.com or something the site is called, after the test is done, you have to pay an additional postage fee for them to send you the cert
post #3 of 5
Hi E-Peen
I have come across a few individuals from various companies who have just downloaded the exact set of questions (+ answers) that the ones on the exam are taken from, and learned the answers for a couple of days then passed.
Hell, it wasn't even some of the peoples own subjects! (One worked in accounts and got an MCP in Development and he knew very little)

As for multiple tests it depends on the certification you are getting, but each single exam gets you an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) then multiples of those MCPs can give further title like an MCTS (Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist), add another certain MCP and you can become an MCPD (Microsoft Certified Professional Developer) etc

My examples are development based but its similar across all MCPs
Edited by Sunriselad - 1/13/11 at 4:34am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 Gigabyte EX58 XFX Radeon 4870 X2 6GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB Maxtor LG DVDRW Vista Ultimate x64 2 x Edge IO 22" 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Razer Arctosa XFX 800w BTC Cheetah Gaming Mouse None 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 Gigabyte EX58 XFX Radeon 4870 X2 6GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB Maxtor LG DVDRW Vista Ultimate x64 2 x Edge IO 22" 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Razer Arctosa XFX 800w BTC Cheetah Gaming Mouse None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Quote:
I just want to get certified so I can make some decent money at a local Best Buy or something while I get my life sorted.
hahaha, you kidding me? You don't have to be certified to be on the geek squad. They will hire just about anyone, and you don't even need to know about computers. If you want a certification that will let you work on computers for a reputable company, then I suggest you go for your A+ certification, it is an industry standard and can get your foot in the door at many places. Also, here is a great resource for A+ studying as well as the MS 70-680(Windows 7) certification, he has a bunch of videos going over exactly what is covered on the exams. http://www.professormesser.com/

Also,
This is THE best book that won't put you to sleep and covers everything you will need to pass your A+ certification. If you read through this book I can almost guarantee you will pass your certification. Good luck!
Edited by genji - 1/14/11 at 4:01am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Sapphire 6950 2GB Toxic Edition G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Corsair SSD ASUS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom (Black and Orange) DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Sapphire 6950 2GB Toxic Edition G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Corsair SSD ASUS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom (Black and Orange) DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Wow, I forgot about this thread.... Thanks for the replies, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umad View Post
Cost me nothing
there is a way of getting around paying $100.
i registered a "fake" business for distributing OEM software on microsoft, that allows multiple OEM applications to be done on the account.
the test takes about 35 minutes, makes you watch a movie and answer some questions and that's about it.

microsoft.oem.com or something the site is called, after the test is done, you have to pay an additional postage fee for them to send you the cert
Couldn't find the website you were speaking of

Quote:
Originally Posted by genji View Post
hahaha, you kidding me? You don't have to be certified to be on the geek squad. They will hire just about anyone, and you don't even need to know about computers. If you want a certification that will let you work on computers for a reputable company, then I suggest you go for your A+ certification, it is an industry standard and can get your foot in the door at many places. Also, here is a great resource for A+ studying as well as the MS 70-680(Windows 7) certification, he has a bunch of videos going over exactly what is covered on the exams. http://www.professormesser.com/

Also, Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Exam Cram (5th Edition) (9780789747921): David L. Prowse: Books

This is THE best book that won't put you to sleep and covers everything you will need to pass your A+ certification. If you read through this book I can almost guarantee you will pass your certification. Good luck!
Thanks for the informative post, man. So now that I have all of of those materials to study, where do I actually take the test(s)?

Here's what I'd love to know.

1. Where's a reputable place/website to take the test(s)

2. Do the test(s) cost anything to take?

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Getting Microsoft certified.