Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CVG] Ubisoft: PC 'still an important platform' for Assassin's Creed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CVG] Ubisoft: PC 'still an important platform' for Assassin's Creed - Page 6

post #51 of 65
You guys aren't thinking of the big picture. Ubi's DRM won't stop every pirate, but it will stop some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
No but I would be offended if they wanted a cavity search and would quit banking there if they did.
Lulz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
If I were a game dev I would sooner shoot my own testicles off than insult my honest customers with DRM. Even copies released over Steam would be DRM-free, and would clearly say so in the menu.
Which is probably because you aren't as greedy as Ubi.
...And if your going to insult Ubi for being greedy, what company isn't?


Quote:
DRM is an insult to the honest gamer, and entertainment for pirates.
No more than cameras are to the honest banker.


Quote:
Okay, here's a scenario. You're in the mood for a new pickup truck, so you drop by the Ford dealer and pick up a 2011 F150. Fully loaded, 5.0 V8, top of the line. You just dropped damn near 50 large. You get in it to find that, in order to deter auto theft, the truck will only operate if the driver, roads, fuel, cargo, trailer, weather, maintenance parts and dashboard clutter are Ford approved. Should anything not meed approval, the vehicle will slam on the brakes, put itself into park, disable the engine, and refuse to budge until you made things right by the rights management equipment.

If you tell me you would take that thing right back to the dealer and demand a refund and/or removal of the rights management equipment, then you don't believe video game DRM is right. If you do believe video game DRM is right, you're either a hypocrit or a brainwashing victim. After all, it is kinda hard to not believe the words of a bunch of people complaining they're starving from the window of their Maserati while earing an Armani. Poor babies, they had to step down to a lower end rolex.......
I see your point, but at the end of the day it was my own fault for buying the truck without reeding through the fine print about the anti-theft.

Quote:
It's still unacceptable. If their servers, or my internet, happens to be down when I wanted to play such a protected game I would be locked out.
Then calm down and don't buy the game...

If anything, b*tch about typing in the key. I don't know, it's just my pet peeve.
Edited by xdanisx - 1/12/11 at 6:50am
Parvum
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6 2x Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 512GB M.2 950 Pro NVMe Windows 10 Dell 1440p Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 750GQ Parvum M1.0 Logitech G9X Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
Parvum
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6 2x Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 512GB M.2 950 Pro NVMe Windows 10 Dell 1440p Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 750GQ Parvum M1.0 Logitech G9X Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanisx View Post
The DRM isn't crazy, it's a small inconvenience at the worst.
Inconvenient? Is that what you call not being able to even play the game when your internet connection in down? Their DRM required a constant internet connection to play a single player game, it's absolutely idiotic.

Fortunately they've said they will stop using that style of DRM soon.
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
Inconvenient? Is that what you call not being able to even play the game when your internet connection in down? Their DRM required a constant internet connection to play a single player game, it's absolutely idiotic.

Fortunately they've said they will stop using that style of DRM soon.
How often is your internet connection down?

The only time mine was down, was a few years ago. It was only down for a few hours iirc. It wasn't a big deal, gaming isn't the only thing I do.
Parvum
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6 2x Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 512GB M.2 950 Pro NVMe Windows 10 Dell 1440p Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 750GQ Parvum M1.0 Logitech G9X Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
Parvum
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6 2x Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 512GB M.2 950 Pro NVMe Windows 10 Dell 1440p Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 750GQ Parvum M1.0 Logitech G9X Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedark1337 View Post
wow cry me a river. 45 FPS is playable, and almost all games utilize the CPU and GPU. if your one of those people wanting 60 FPS i don't know what to tell ya, because i can play anything above 45 FPS without any problem at all.
You are missing the point. I quoted someone saying it is a good port, when in fact it isn't even multicore optimized to the extent that it can be played at a typical LCD monitor's refresh rate. Not to mention the horrific shadows and draw distance that you can't change.

If this is considered a good port then GTA4 must be an outstanding port.
Current i5 Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-760 (4.0ghz @ 1.28v) GIGABYTE P55-USB3 Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II OC 2GB 4GB DDR3 (XMS3 1600) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force 3 120gb + 2.5TB HDDs LG Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23" Acer X233H + 19" GNR Logitech G110 OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Coolermaster 690 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
Current i5 Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-760 (4.0ghz @ 1.28v) GIGABYTE P55-USB3 Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II OC 2GB 4GB DDR3 (XMS3 1600) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force 3 120gb + 2.5TB HDDs LG Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23" Acer X233H + 19" GNR Logitech G110 OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Coolermaster 690 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifes_good View Post
Soo... same engine as Fallout 3? Or even at least an upgraded version? Better physics and a less buggy engine would be good to see from Bethesda.
lolwut? Did you forget to post in the right thread or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post
Honestly...the DRM's details were printed on the game box and on any website selling the game. It made you aware it would be necessary to have a stable internet connection to play. If you read this and still bought it knowing you have crappy or unstable internet...or none at all, then blame yourself.
Why should we have to throw away our rights for a game in the first place? It has nothing to do with whether or not we read the box and everything to do with how the game companies don't trust their honest customers.

Quote:
I never had a problem with the game's DRM program staying online. Is the crying about the DRM going on because people were too stupid to heed these warnings?
It's the principle of it. We're paying sixty bucks for what amounts to a rental. It's annoying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanisx View Post
You guys aren't thinking of the big picture. Ubi's DRM won't stop every pirate, but it will stop some.
Ubi's DRM doesn't stop any pirates. Who are you kidding?

Quote:
Which is probably because you aren't as greedy as Ubi.
It would have nothing to do with greed and everything to do with keeping customers. If you insult your customers by accusing them of piracy and forcing them to jump through hoops to prove they aren't you're bound to lose a few. I'd rather have it on TPB the day of release and have customers that buy it out of principle just because there's no DRM than I would load it up ala Ubisoft and have people bashing my company every chance they get.


Quote:
No more than cameras are to the honest banker.
Cameras do not equate to Ubi's DRM. They equate to a CD key, or at most Steam.

Quote:
I see your point, but at the end of the day it was my own fault for buying the truck without reading through the fine print about the anti-theft.
It wouldn't change the fact that you'd take it back and demand a refund and/or removal of the anti-theft devices.

Reading the fine print or not has no point on my point. My point is why should we even have to? We shouldn't be treated like damned dirty criminals because we had the audacity, the nerve, to get our game legally, and that's why I feel the way I do about DRM.

Quote:
If anything, b*tch about typing in the key. I don't know, it's just my pet peeve.
Typing in a key? That's fine. I don't mind that at all. Do it once on install, and so long as the key is on the CD the key can't get lost while still having the disc. Which is annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanisx View Post
How often is your internet connection down?

The only time mine was down, was a few years ago. It was only down for a few hours iirc. It wasn't a big deal, gaming isn't the only thing I do.
Mine goes down daily. ATT refuses to do anything about it, and I can't afford to buy a router that doesn't suck.
Boot to the Head!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon64 X2 4200+ @ stock Epox 9NPA+SLI XFX 8800GS 384 4x1GB G.Skill DDR400 @ stock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB WD + 1TB WD GP + 320GB WD AAJS Mystery DVD-RW Vista Ultimate x64! ViewSonic P220F CRT + KDS 15" CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
$3 Compaq keyboard with pretty aluminum finish ThermalTake PurePower 500W Rosewill R230-P-BK Wired Optical 
Mouse Pad
Table. Mouse pads are overrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Boot to the Head!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon64 X2 4200+ @ stock Epox 9NPA+SLI XFX 8800GS 384 4x1GB G.Skill DDR400 @ stock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB WD + 1TB WD GP + 320GB WD AAJS Mystery DVD-RW Vista Ultimate x64! ViewSonic P220F CRT + KDS 15" CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
$3 Compaq keyboard with pretty aluminum finish ThermalTake PurePower 500W Rosewill R230-P-BK Wired Optical 
Mouse Pad
Table. Mouse pads are overrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanisx View Post
You guys aren't thinking of the big picture. Ubi's DRM won't stop every pirate, but it will stop some.
I think we get the big picture. The game causes problems for the people who purchase the game, but none for a pirate, download, crack. Its that simple.

But no if i buy the game, i cant play while the internet is down, or servers are down, and if i choose to play on my laptop where i dont have WIFI, i cant. How about if i am playing and internet goes down or the servers go down, well, i cant save the game.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
I think we get the big picture. The game causes problems for the people who purchase the game, but none for a pirate, download, crack. Its that simple.

But no if i buy the game, i cant play while the internet is down, or servers are down, and if i choose to play on my laptop where i dont have WIFI, i cant. How about if i am playing and internet goes down or the servers go down, well, i cant save the game.

Then don't buy the game. Problem solved.

You guys need to stop making it sound like their DRM is the worst thing that's ever happened. Is it bad? Kinda, but it won't kill you. You don't like the DRM? Fine then, shut up; There's no need to bring it up in every thread.
Edited by xdanisx - 1/12/11 at 8:18am
Parvum
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6 2x Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 512GB M.2 950 Pro NVMe Windows 10 Dell 1440p Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 750GQ Parvum M1.0 Logitech G9X Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
Parvum
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6 2x Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 512GB M.2 950 Pro NVMe Windows 10 Dell 1440p Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 750GQ Parvum M1.0 Logitech G9X Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanisx View Post
Then don't buy the game. Problem solved.
I'm not. But this also causes problems for me because i was a huge fan of ghost recon, rainbow 6, and several other ubisoft titles, that i now cannot play because of their approach to DRM. So is the problem solved, or did ubisoft just lose a bunch of sales for me and other people because we dont feel like being treated like criminals.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
I'm not. But this also causes problems for me because i was a huge fan of ghost recon, rainbow 6, and several other ubisoft titles, that i now cannot play because of their approach to DRM. So is the problem solved, or did ubisoft just lose a bunch of sales for me and other people because we dont feel like being treated like criminals.
Right now, we have the same # of posts. Thought that was pretty cool.

Anyways, I guess it just s*cks to be you, but at some point your going to have to get over it.
Parvum
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6 2x Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 512GB M.2 950 Pro NVMe Windows 10 Dell 1440p Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 750GQ Parvum M1.0 Logitech G9X Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
Parvum
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6 2x Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 512GB M.2 950 Pro NVMe Windows 10 Dell 1440p Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 750GQ Parvum M1.0 Logitech G9X Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanisx View Post
Right now, we have the same # of posts. Thought that was pretty cool.

Anyways, I guess it just s*cks to be you, but at some point your going to have to get over it.
nah, i just spend my money on other publishers and devs games that i feel deserve my money. When Ubisoft finally realizes their mistake perhaps ill take another look at their products.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CVG] Ubisoft: PC 'still an important platform' for Assassin's Creed