Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › I just don't get what is going on with my laptops.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I just don't get what is going on with my laptops. - Page 2

post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
There are some newer HP laptops that overheat and need a bios update. Has something to do with not turning the fans on fast enough or not putting them at 100%. May be worth checking into bios updates even if they are not HP's
It ain't a HP, but an Acer. How to update the bios? And I have the feeling they are indeed not at 100% or too late at 100%.
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 20
Usually you can go to the manufacturers website and go to the downloads and drivers part and there are usually bios updates listed there.

I have never seen a user controllable fan in a laptop bios so my guess is its probably not there

GO to acers website and find your model and follow their instructions on how to do the bios update. It's different for most manufacturers.

Some have utilities that run in windows, some have a file thats uploaded through a flash utility in the bios, and some require dos commands. Just see how its done from acer.
SuperMegaPwnsauce
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Asus Z87-PRO MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Gskill Ripjaws X 19200 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Windows 10 Home 64Bit  Dell S2716DG 2K 144hz G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Seasonic Flagship PRIME TITANIUM 650W Fractal Design Define R5 W/ 3 Phanteks PH-F140S... Logitech G Pro 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
PC Gaming Master Race Glorious XXXL Pad & Razer... Creative Sound Blaster Z & Schiit M&M 2 Uber/Mu... HifiMan HE400i & Antlion ModMic 4.0 
  hide details  
Reply
SuperMegaPwnsauce
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Asus Z87-PRO MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Gskill Ripjaws X 19200 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Windows 10 Home 64Bit  Dell S2716DG 2K 144hz G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Seasonic Flagship PRIME TITANIUM 650W Fractal Design Define R5 W/ 3 Phanteks PH-F140S... Logitech G Pro 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
PC Gaming Master Race Glorious XXXL Pad & Razer... Creative Sound Blaster Z & Schiit M&M 2 Uber/Mu... HifiMan HE400i & Antlion ModMic 4.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessonei View Post
Jesus, you never give up, you fat fatass.

1. Cooling pads hardly work.
2. My fans speed is not controllable with Afterburner.
3. It is not the same damn thing.
4. It is hot enough to start lagging on my laptop

Get aids now.
If your not going to at least try what was suggested (getting a cooling pad) then your SOL. Obviously you aren't going to do that, so your only other option is to open the laptop up and use it like a test bench.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-930 D0 3.8Ghz ASUS P6T SE PowerColor HD5870 1GB 6GB Corsair Dominator XMS3 8-8-8-20 1200Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB Wester Digital Windows 7 Home 64bit Acer 23" XFX 850w Black Edtion 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-930 D0 3.8Ghz ASUS P6T SE PowerColor HD5870 1GB 6GB Corsair Dominator XMS3 8-8-8-20 1200Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB Wester Digital Windows 7 Home 64bit Acer 23" XFX 850w Black Edtion 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertCover View Post
If your not going to at least try what was suggested (getting a cooling pad) then your SOL. Obviously you aren't going to do that, so your only other option is to open the laptop up and use it like a test bench.
It will probably be a waste of money. I have hold the laptop in the air and that did not make a difference. ?Although that it was an passive cooler does and not an active, I do not believe in an active as well.

What do you mean, using it like a test bench?
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by h00chi3 View Post
Writing stuff like this will hardly get you any help, especially if you respond in this way. Post has been reported. Maybe if you take the help with a smile instead of with the stick inserted into (random orifice here), things would get done quicker.
Why would you report him when the covertcover person was being a prick? just saying.
What do you have your laptops on when you're gaming?

Wait if you think its passive than that means there is no air coming out the back of the laptop? if there is than it isn't passive
Mr.Hoover
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 620 3.5Ghz L3 1.4 unlocked Asus M4A77D Msi Gtx 460 Hawk stock voltage (830/1660, 2130) Ocz Sli 900 Mhz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Green 500/ Spinpoint F1 1T Windows 7 ultimate x64 Acer 23" 1080p G235H Microsoft Sidewinder x6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750tx cm 690II Advanced Logitech G500 Clipboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr.Hoover
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 620 3.5Ghz L3 1.4 unlocked Asus M4A77D Msi Gtx 460 Hawk stock voltage (830/1660, 2130) Ocz Sli 900 Mhz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Green 500/ Spinpoint F1 1T Windows 7 ultimate x64 Acer 23" 1080p G235H Microsoft Sidewinder x6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750tx cm 690II Advanced Logitech G500 Clipboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
Usually you can go to the manufacturers website and go to the downloads and drivers part and there are usually bios updates listed there.

I have never seen a user controllable fan in a laptop bios so my guess is its probably not there

GO to acers website and find your model and follow their instructions on how to do the bios update. It's different for most manufacturers.

Some have utilities that run in windows, some have a file thats uploaded through a flash utility in the bios, and some require dos commands. Just see how its done from acer.
You say: "I have never seen a user controllable fan in a laptop bios so my guess is its probably not there." Don't you mean "Windows" instead of "bios"? If not, what is the point of updating the bios in my case?
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkapoc View Post
Why would you report him when the covertcover person was being a prick? just saying.
What do you have your laptops on when you're gaming?

Wait if you think its passive than that means there is no air coming out the back of the laptop? if there is than it isn't passive
Very modern games (MW2 for instance).
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 20
I meant what surface do you have it on. your best bet atm would be to open it up and reapply the thermal paste.
Bios is what you see before you boot into the OS ie: Windows
Mr.Hoover
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 620 3.5Ghz L3 1.4 unlocked Asus M4A77D Msi Gtx 460 Hawk stock voltage (830/1660, 2130) Ocz Sli 900 Mhz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Green 500/ Spinpoint F1 1T Windows 7 ultimate x64 Acer 23" 1080p G235H Microsoft Sidewinder x6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750tx cm 690II Advanced Logitech G500 Clipboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr.Hoover
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 620 3.5Ghz L3 1.4 unlocked Asus M4A77D Msi Gtx 460 Hawk stock voltage (830/1660, 2130) Ocz Sli 900 Mhz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Green 500/ Spinpoint F1 1T Windows 7 ultimate x64 Acer 23" 1080p G235H Microsoft Sidewinder x6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750tx cm 690II Advanced Logitech G500 Clipboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessonei View Post
You say: "I have never seen a user controllable fan in a laptop bios so my guess is its probably not there." Don't you mean "Windows" instead of "bios"? If not, what is the point of updating the bios in my case?
No what I am saying is that when your in the bios of the laptop I have never seen a place in any laptop bios I have encountered to manually change fan speeds. The fan speeds are controlled by the bios and cannot be changed by the user.

With a bios update the manufacturer may have seen that their current thresholds for fan speed are not working and causing the laptops to overheat so in the new bios they have changed it to turn the fans on earlier or make them spin faster.
SuperMegaPwnsauce
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Asus Z87-PRO MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Gskill Ripjaws X 19200 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Windows 10 Home 64Bit  Dell S2716DG 2K 144hz G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Seasonic Flagship PRIME TITANIUM 650W Fractal Design Define R5 W/ 3 Phanteks PH-F140S... Logitech G Pro 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
PC Gaming Master Race Glorious XXXL Pad & Razer... Creative Sound Blaster Z & Schiit M&M 2 Uber/Mu... HifiMan HE400i & Antlion ModMic 4.0 
  hide details  
Reply
SuperMegaPwnsauce
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Asus Z87-PRO MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Gskill Ripjaws X 19200 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Windows 10 Home 64Bit  Dell S2716DG 2K 144hz G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Seasonic Flagship PRIME TITANIUM 650W Fractal Design Define R5 W/ 3 Phanteks PH-F140S... Logitech G Pro 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
PC Gaming Master Race Glorious XXXL Pad & Razer... Creative Sound Blaster Z & Schiit M&M 2 Uber/Mu... HifiMan HE400i & Antlion ModMic 4.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
No what I am saying is that when your in the bios of the laptop I have never seen a place in any laptop bios I have encountered to manually change fan speeds. The fan speeds are controlled by the bios and cannot be changed by the user.

With a bios update the manufacturer may have seen that their current thresholds for fan speed are not working and causing the laptops to overheat so in the new bios they have changed it to turn the fans on earlier or make them spin faster.
Could be, I will give it a try.
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › I just don't get what is going on with my laptops.