Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Noob here; need to OC Phenom II x4 965 to 3.8GHz - 4GHz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Noob here; need to OC Phenom II x4 965 to 3.8GHz - 4GHz - Page 3

post #21 of 47
Oh my god put more VCORE! Try 1.45V for 3,8 or try 1.5V with 20x 200 = 4GHz. Put CPU/NB voltage to 1.35V to be sure. I ran my CPU/NB 2600 mhz with 1.35V. How are temps in prime95 blend?
Skylake
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600K 4,5Ghz GA-Z170-HD3P Asus GTX 1060 6GB Dual OC 16GB Crucial BallistiX Sport DDR4 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
250GB Samsung 850 SSD Windows 7 64 Corsair RM650x Fractal Define R3 
Audio
Scarlett 2i2 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600K 4,5Ghz GA-Z170-HD3P Asus GTX 1060 6GB Dual OC 16GB Crucial BallistiX Sport DDR4 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
250GB Samsung 850 SSD Windows 7 64 Corsair RM650x Fractal Define R3 
Audio
Scarlett 2i2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGILOCO View Post
Oh my god put more VCORE! Try 1.45V for 3,8 or try 1.5V with 20x 200 = 4GHz. Put CPU/NB voltage to 1.35V to be sure. I ran my CPU/NB 2600 mhz with 1.35V. How are temps in prime95 blend?
So are you saying that besides having to up the vcore to 1.45V for 3.8Ghz or 1.5V for 4Ghz, all the other settings are fine?

I'll run prime95 in just a bit and post the results/temps. Thanks for the response!
SR-71
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 BE (C3) @ 3.82GHz Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 XFX 6870 Black Edition 1GB @ 940/1150MHz 8GB (4 x 2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Black 750GB Win 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster P2770H 27" HD XFX 850W Black Edition [80+ Silver] 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom [Black] Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
SR-71
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 BE (C3) @ 3.82GHz Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 XFX 6870 Black Edition 1GB @ 940/1150MHz 8GB (4 x 2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Black 750GB Win 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster P2770H 27" HD XFX 850W Black Edition [80+ Silver] 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom [Black] Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 47
Yes. Touch only CPU multiplier and CPU/NB. And VCORE and CPU/NB voltage. And of course, run your memory as supposed to that model.
Edited by WIGILOCO - 1/14/11 at 12:15pm
Skylake
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600K 4,5Ghz GA-Z170-HD3P Asus GTX 1060 6GB Dual OC 16GB Crucial BallistiX Sport DDR4 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
250GB Samsung 850 SSD Windows 7 64 Corsair RM650x Fractal Define R3 
Audio
Scarlett 2i2 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600K 4,5Ghz GA-Z170-HD3P Asus GTX 1060 6GB Dual OC 16GB Crucial BallistiX Sport DDR4 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
250GB Samsung 850 SSD Windows 7 64 Corsair RM650x Fractal Define R3 
Audio
Scarlett 2i2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 47
Thread Starter 
Just tried exactly what you said, but I got the same result; failed to boot up, so I had to revert to standard settings.

What could possibly be the problem with my set up?

This is what I was using when I attempted the lastest 3.8GHz OC:

Multiplier - x19
HT ref. Clock - 200MHz
HT Link - 2000
NB Freq. - 2600MHz
NB volts - 1.2V
CPU-NB / VID - 1.35V
VCORE - 1.45V

Instead of messing with voltages, would it be advisable to just increase the multiplier to 19 alone? I can do that, and everything runs fine--however, my temps run 7C more, and the CPU consumes max power on a constant basis. I want to be able to OC it but still have it throttle based on what I'm doing.
SR-71
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 BE (C3) @ 3.82GHz Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 XFX 6870 Black Edition 1GB @ 940/1150MHz 8GB (4 x 2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Black 750GB Win 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster P2770H 27" HD XFX 850W Black Edition [80+ Silver] 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom [Black] Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
SR-71
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 BE (C3) @ 3.82GHz Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 XFX 6870 Black Edition 1GB @ 940/1150MHz 8GB (4 x 2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Black 750GB Win 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster P2770H 27" HD XFX 850W Black Edition [80+ Silver] 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom [Black] Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 47
Do you run out memory at the right voltages and timings for that kit? That may cause some sort of problems. Especially when overclocking.
Skylake
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600K 4,5Ghz GA-Z170-HD3P Asus GTX 1060 6GB Dual OC 16GB Crucial BallistiX Sport DDR4 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
250GB Samsung 850 SSD Windows 7 64 Corsair RM650x Fractal Define R3 
Audio
Scarlett 2i2 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600K 4,5Ghz GA-Z170-HD3P Asus GTX 1060 6GB Dual OC 16GB Crucial BallistiX Sport DDR4 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
250GB Samsung 850 SSD Windows 7 64 Corsair RM650x Fractal Define R3 
Audio
Scarlett 2i2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGILOCO View Post
Do you run out memory at the right voltages and timings for that kit? That may cause some sort of problems. Especially when overclocking.
Yes, I'm running the timings at 9-9-9-24 2T, 1.5V and at 1600Mhz--as is stock with this memory kit.
SR-71
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 BE (C3) @ 3.82GHz Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 XFX 6870 Black Edition 1GB @ 940/1150MHz 8GB (4 x 2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Black 750GB Win 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster P2770H 27" HD XFX 850W Black Edition [80+ Silver] 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom [Black] Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
SR-71
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 BE (C3) @ 3.82GHz Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 XFX 6870 Black Edition 1GB @ 940/1150MHz 8GB (4 x 2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Black 750GB Win 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster P2770H 27" HD XFX 850W Black Edition [80+ Silver] 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom [Black] Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 47
I'm Actually in the same boat as OP here. 965Be with hyper212+.

I have 4 ghz stable with just the multi at 20, everything else is auto (vcore hovers between 1.49 and 1.425).

I think i`m going to start testing other settings to get the rig "ìn tune" with itself, but should set the voltages manually? or leave them at auto as so far they seem to be doing what`s needed.
post #28 of 47
Its possible you just hit the limit on your CPU overclock on multipliers. My 955 BE seems to hate everything over an 18.5 multiplier (without a huge voltage increase). If I want to go higher I would have to play with FSB or water cooling.

Also to the person who recommended added voltage to the NB, what does this do exactly on the X4? I really want to know why people suggest throwing NB voltage on our chips.

Also please run the large FTT test in P95. My first "stable" OC would fail at 12 hrs in Prime95 which taxes the IMC (after the 8 hr point it switches to large FTTs).

http://www.overclock.net/general-pro...-settings.html

The X4 has the IMC on the CPU so under heavy CPU/ram usage you can encounter instability.

My first OC with just the multipler, (X4 955 BE) would hit 3.8 with no voltage increase. Ran prime fine (1-8 hrs). Around the 8-12 hour range it would BSOD.

Have you tried running the RAM at a lower setting? I heard the IMC was only rated for 1333mhz so running at 1600 would tax the IMC (even more if you're already OC'ed the freq on the CPU-NB).

Finding OC'ing this chip is a balancing act.

Good luck and remember just to have fun. We got these chips to have fun with not drive ourselves crazy.

Zardoz, I wish my mobo would decide on correct voltage. Most of the time if on auto I get restarts.

Wow realized you haven't OC'ed yoru NB freq. Please try that before anything.

Thought benchmarks will show little or even a loss by going to a lower CPU freq, the day to day usage with the higher CPU-NB freq makes up for it.

Best way I can describe it is, it just makes things snappier. Things don't run as fast but they respond to your input faster. And when multitasking multiple small programs it does feel faster.

I gave up my stable (24 hrs prime95 blend) 3.8 ghz, nb-freq 2200 and trying to get 3.6 ghz with a 2600 nb-freq for the last 2 days.

Not sure if this is always true but I've been seeing a connection between weird temp signals on CPU-HW and instability.

If I have instability that'll only crash at the 8+ hr mark (but not before) I usually get weird temp spikes (only for a second though) and it'll drop back to stable leaving ridiculous max temps during p95 1-8 hrs in.

I thought nothing about it aside software issues but every OC that showed these temp spikes would BSOD at the 8+ mark. I'm guessing it needed voltage and was draining from surrounding components and one of them happened to be the mobo temp sensors. This only seems true if the temp spikes for a second.
Edited by evilferret - 1/14/11 at 4:54pm
Main Rig
(17 items)
 
*Not so* Main Rig
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-2600k Asus Maximus Gene-Z Zotac 970 32 gig (4x8gig) Cosair Dominator 1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 - 128 gig VelociRaptor 300gig Random Toshiba 3TB Liteon 24x DVD-RW OEM  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cosair H100 Windows 7 Pro x64 Xstar 1440p Realforce TKL 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic x750 Arc Mini RAT7 Fiio E10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 955 BE Gigabyte 870a-UD3 XFX 6870 4 gig G-skills 1600 mhz CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64 gig Microcenter SSD / 1TB Samsung F3 Random DVD-RW W7 64 Bit Ultimate Asus VH236H 
KeyboardPowerCase
U9BL Cosair 750 TX CoolerMaster 690 II 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(17 items)
 
*Not so* Main Rig
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-2600k Asus Maximus Gene-Z Zotac 970 32 gig (4x8gig) Cosair Dominator 1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 - 128 gig VelociRaptor 300gig Random Toshiba 3TB Liteon 24x DVD-RW OEM  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cosair H100 Windows 7 Pro x64 Xstar 1440p Realforce TKL 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic x750 Arc Mini RAT7 Fiio E10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 955 BE Gigabyte 870a-UD3 XFX 6870 4 gig G-skills 1600 mhz CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64 gig Microcenter SSD / 1TB Samsung F3 Random DVD-RW W7 64 Bit Ultimate Asus VH236H 
KeyboardPowerCase
U9BL Cosair 750 TX CoolerMaster 690 II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Boe View Post
Honestly, I'd try the overkill method first. Raise to 1.5v and if it boots fine, then drop the voltage slowly until it fails to boot. Then just go back to the previous good setting and fine tune it from there. But to each their own
thats how i do it go to something you know works and tweak it until it doesn't then go back one step
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core i7 950 asus sabretooth saphire 5870 eyefinity 6 12gb corsair dominator ddr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 640gb sata LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L SCSI CdRom Device win7 ultimate 64bit very complicated lol 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
intellitype wireless corsair 850w coolermaster haf 922 intellipoint wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core i7 950 asus sabretooth saphire 5870 eyefinity 6 12gb corsair dominator ddr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 640gb sata LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L SCSI CdRom Device win7 ultimate 64bit very complicated lol 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
intellitype wireless corsair 850w coolermaster haf 922 intellipoint wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilferret View Post
Its possible you just hit the limit on your CPU overclock on multipliers. My 955 BE seems to hate everything over an 18.5 multiplier (without a huge voltage increase). If I want to go higher I would have to play with FSB or water cooling.

Also to the person who recommended added voltage to the NB, what does this do exactly on the X4? I really want to know why people suggest throwing NB voltage on our chips.

Also please run the large FTT test in P95. My first "stable" OC would fail at 12 hrs in Prime95 which taxes the IMC (after the 8 hr point it switches to large FTTs).

http://www.overclock.net/general-pro...-settings.html

The X4 has the IMC on the CPU so under heavy CPU/ram usage you can encounter instability.

My first OC with just the multipler, (X4 955 BE) would hit 3.8 with no voltage increase. Ran prime fine (1-8 hrs). Around the 8-12 hour range it would BSOD.

Have you tried running the RAM at a lower setting? I heard the IMC was only rated for 1333mhz so running at 1600 would tax the IMC (even more if you're already OC'ed the freq on the CPU-NB).

Finding OC'ing this chip is a balancing act.

Good luck and remember just to have fun. We got these chips to have fun with not drive ourselves crazy.

Zardoz, I wish my mobo would decide on correct voltage. Most of the time if on auto I get restarts.

Wow realized you haven't OC'ed yoru NB freq. Please try that before anything.

Thought benchmarks will show little or even a loss by going to a lower CPU freq, the day to day usage with the higher CPU-NB freq makes up for it.

Best way I can describe it is, it just makes things snappier. Things don't run as fast but they respond to your input faster. And when multitasking multiple small programs it does feel faster.

I gave up my stable (24 hrs prime95 blend) 3.8 ghz, nb-freq 2200 and trying to get 3.6 ghz with a 2600 nb-freq for the last 2 days.
18.5 multiplier worked best for me aswell
Edited by jm3 - 1/14/11 at 4:55pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core i7 950 asus sabretooth saphire 5870 eyefinity 6 12gb corsair dominator ddr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 640gb sata LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L SCSI CdRom Device win7 ultimate 64bit very complicated lol 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
intellitype wireless corsair 850w coolermaster haf 922 intellipoint wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core i7 950 asus sabretooth saphire 5870 eyefinity 6 12gb corsair dominator ddr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 640gb sata LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L SCSI CdRom Device win7 ultimate 64bit very complicated lol 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
intellitype wireless corsair 850w coolermaster haf 922 intellipoint wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Noob here; need to OC Phenom II x4 965 to 3.8GHz - 4GHz