Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › 360 enough for gtx470 sli?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

360 enough for gtx470 sli?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Planning out new watercooling setup and ran into a question - would one 3x120 radiator with Gentle Typhoons be enough to keep sli gtx 470 heat dump under control while folding 24/7 or would I need to add a second radiator into the mix?

http://www.xspc.biz/rx360.php this is the radiator I am interested in since I want to go with low noise fan setups as compared to high speed high noise lol.

Also still trying to figure out best set of GT's - 1850's hooked up to a fan controller or 1450's or lower? Again with an aim towards running folding 24/7 so the heat dump will be constant and aiming towards keeping the noise LOW.

Currently my single cpu 240mm rad uses Scythe S-Flex 1200 rpm fans and they are pretty silent.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-77X-UD5H IGP Intel HD4000 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512gb Crucial M4 & 2x750GB WD Blacks in Raid 0 Lite-On iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer G24 24" 2ms@1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
USB Keyboard SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W Case Labs MH10 #1 Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-77X-UD5H IGP Intel HD4000 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512gb Crucial M4 & 2x750GB WD Blacks in Raid 0 Lite-On iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer G24 24" 2ms@1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
USB Keyboard SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W Case Labs MH10 #1 Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
If you are planning on only cooling the graphics cards with the 360 rad then you should be more than fine. I personally wouldnt use less than the 360, but it is possible to cool a sli setup and a cpu on a single 360, granted your temps wouldnt be as good as what you are proposing.

For low noise setups the RX360 with 1850 GT's is perfect.
All Fear the TLAM
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 EVGA P55 Micro GTX 670 16Gb Geil 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Agility3 Western Digital Black Western Digital Green Western Digital Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Corsair H80 Windows 8 Pro Iinc 28" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 19" Black Widow Ultimate Corsair 650HX Silverstone FT03 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech PerformanceMX Rocketfish Hard Swan D2.1se's 
  hide details  
Reply
All Fear the TLAM
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 EVGA P55 Micro GTX 670 16Gb Geil 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Agility3 Western Digital Black Western Digital Green Western Digital Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Corsair H80 Windows 8 Pro Iinc 28" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 19" Black Widow Ultimate Corsair 650HX Silverstone FT03 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech PerformanceMX Rocketfish Hard Swan D2.1se's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithgroth007 View Post
If you are planning on only cooling the graphics cards with the 360 rad then you should be more than fine. I personally wouldnt use less than the 360, but it is possible to cool a sli setup and a cpu on a single 360, granted your temps wouldnt be as good as what you are proposing.

For low noise setups the RX360 with 1850 GT's is perfect.
Hmmm In that case I may try and figure out how to add a second 360 rad then. But yes, I am planning on putting the CPU and chipset into a separate loop with a single 360 rad. Thanks! Any other thoughts?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-77X-UD5H IGP Intel HD4000 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512gb Crucial M4 & 2x750GB WD Blacks in Raid 0 Lite-On iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer G24 24" 2ms@1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
USB Keyboard SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W Case Labs MH10 #1 Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-77X-UD5H IGP Intel HD4000 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512gb Crucial M4 & 2x750GB WD Blacks in Raid 0 Lite-On iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer G24 24" 2ms@1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
USB Keyboard SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W Case Labs MH10 #1 Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
360 will be enough for the 2 cards. Obviously adding another rad would help temps more, but I think 2x360 is a little overkill for your sli setup. If anything I'd put your cpu and chipset in a loop with 2x360 rads. Your CPU is much more temperature sensitive than your GPU, which is built assuming it would be running high temperatures.
Edited by Philth - 1/13/11 at 8:20am
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 eVGA P55 SLI Radeon 5870 4GB Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 500gb / 60GB Corsair Force 2 Water cooled Windows 7 27" ASUS LED / 19" DELL IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KBC Poker Cherry MX Red Corsair HX650 Lian-Li A05N Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Modded Sennheiser HD555 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 eVGA P55 SLI Radeon 5870 4GB Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 500gb / 60GB Corsair Force 2 Water cooled Windows 7 27" ASUS LED / 19" DELL IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KBC Poker Cherry MX Red Corsair HX650 Lian-Li A05N Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Modded Sennheiser HD555 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by werds View Post
Hmmm In that case I may try and figure out how to add a second 360 rad then. But yes, I am planning on putting the CPU and chipset into a separate loop with a single 360 rad. Thanks! Any other thoughts?
Depends on your space inside the case, I would say a GTX360 with push/pull and good strong fans (like the new AP30 or 38mm fans), you can add the cpu and motherboard on a single radiator with the SLI.
You will have a bit less room for OCing, but it should handle most of the heat.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philth View Post
360 will be enough for the 2 cards. Obviously adding another rad would help temps more, but I think 2x360 is a little overkill for your sli setup. If anything I'd put your cpu and chipset in a loop with 2x360 rads. Your CPU is much more temperature sensitive than your GPU, which is built assuming it would be running high temperatures.
Interesting - didn't think about it that way, but you have a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Depends on your space inside the case, I would say a GTX360 with push/pull and good strong fans (like the new AP30 or 38mm fans), you can add the cpu and motherboard on a single radiator with the SLI.
You will have a bit less room for OCing, but it should handle most of the heat.
This is the case I will be putting it all into once they come available this month, so I should have plenty of space. Just putting together parts list for purchase and then trying to figure out flow pattern before I hit the buy button on stuff.

Thanks guys for the ideas and thoughts! + rep
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-77X-UD5H IGP Intel HD4000 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512gb Crucial M4 & 2x750GB WD Blacks in Raid 0 Lite-On iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer G24 24" 2ms@1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
USB Keyboard SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W Case Labs MH10 #1 Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-77X-UD5H IGP Intel HD4000 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512gb Crucial M4 & 2x750GB WD Blacks in Raid 0 Lite-On iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer G24 24" 2ms@1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
USB Keyboard SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W Case Labs MH10 #1 Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by werds View Post
This is the case I will be putting it all into once they come available this month, so I should have plenty of space. Just putting together parts list for purchase and then trying to figure out flow pattern before I hit the buy button on stuff.

Thanks guys for the ideas and thoughts! + rep
Looks good. Should definitely go for a GTX360 rad with 3x38mm fans in a push/pull.
If you feel you need, seems that you can also put a second radiator in the motherboard compartment, and a RX240 will be good there with 25mm fans.

That will give you good temps and good OCing room.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › 360 enough for gtx470 sli?